08 Hayabusa vs 1000 GSX-R

Willie J Martins

Registered
OK, just an ex old automotive engineer here trying to get back into biking. At least I have made a start a few days ago and got a Husky TE 610ie off road and this thing is so much fun, it should be illegal. Back to the Busa, as I now have to go and buy my road bike.
laugh.gif

I weigh 200 lbs (yes fat and ugly but working on the fat part) so I notice the Busa weighs 485 lbs, while the GSX-R weighs 379 lbs.

Some quick math tells me that if the Busa makes 180 hp at the back wheel, then the GSX-R needs 152 hp and it will do the 1/4 right next to the Busa.

180/685 x 579 = 152.

So, the only place I can do 185 mph is on a track and if you put both bikes on a track, I figure the GSX-R will outrun the Busa easily, due to the twisties.

So why buy a Busa?
dunno.gif

In a perfect world, we would all be married to Jessica Biel also....
winkold.gif

To many factors for what you plan for the bike. However, your figures are only a little off...
laugh.gif

First of all, 200 LBS is not considered FAT unless you are a 4 ft. Midget! Then I can see why you would be leaning towards the 1K... J/K
laugh.gif

You are talking about 2 different bikes totally. Each has it's own space in the world. That is why I own one of each. With a sh!tty rider on the 1k and a good rider on the Busa, can make a whole world of difference! Watch the pros run a busa around a track and you will see what it's limitations are...
Welcome to H.org
thumb_up.gif

"First of all, 200 LBS is not considered FAT unless you are a 4 ft. Midget! Then I can see why you would be leaning towards the 1K... J/K
You are talking about 2 different bikes totally. Each has it's own space in the world. That is why I own one of each. With a sh!tty rider on the 1k and a good rider on the Busa, can make a whole world of difference! Watch the pros run a busa around a track and you will see what it's limitations are..."

Great to know you have both, so I have questions.
ThumbsUp.gif

Give me a few bullet points about why they are so different, is the Busa more a touring bike and the GSX-R more of a crotch rocket and what more?

Thanks for your post.

By the way, at 5' 11" over 40 and 200 lbs, I am old and fat when I ride single track dirt bike with the MX crowd.
fart.gif

You will be able to ride the Busa farther and more comfortably. Also, like you said, you won't be hitting top speed very often. The Busa has much more torque and if you race the 2 off the line, the Busa will get to the end quicker because of it. Your misses will enjoy the pillion seat as well. I guess it would be like comparing a Corvette to a WRX. Both are fast however which one is more.....

Why the Busa?

do you fold up like a swiss army knife?
Do you ride more than 50 miles at any one time?
Do you mind having to down shift 3 or 4 gears to get into the groove?
Are your kidneys durable?

I am 6'2 and rode a 08 Gixxer last week for about 10 minutes.. not really much of a chance to see what the bike was about but I can tell you that my knees, bladder and back would succumb to this bike in about an hour of highway droning.. The bike certainly rode lighter (read feel every bump in the road), it most certainly turned and responded a lot faster than the busa (read, twitchy or ultra fast response) and yes the brakes were "grabby" compared to the busa (I prefer a more predictable brake on a street bike where panic stops may be in the cards)

If I was racing twisties? I would get the Gixxer or an R1.. if you want to run across the state, play on some twisties and then ride 200 miles home (my normal routine), only one bike I could choose...

I have one of each too! I will try to break it down for you. The 1k is the better handler and sprinter of a bike when compared to the busa. It is tall and skinny in feel compared to the busa's low and wide feel. I am comfortable on both, but the busa is the one for longer rides. The 1k seating postion is more aggressive and more tucked. The busa is more relaxed. The busa is more stable at cruising speeds and is better for 2 up riding then the 1k. The busa's torque is awesome! You do not have to rev. very high to get it speed. The 1k rev.'s a little higher, but you can tell it doesn't have the torque like the busa. Both are great bikes, but the busa is the better city and highway bike then the 1k. I have spent the same time in saddle on both bikes. 4 hours straight, and the busa is the one I would take. I am 5'8" and 185lbs. I hope this helps!

Now if you like trackdays and do it often the 1k is the bike to have. Or taking it on twisties!! Awesome bike!!! The feel is light and more nimble then the Busa. Both are specialized tools. You need to know what you plan on doing most of the time. Cruising, 2 up rides, and some twisties the busa is a fine tool. Taking corners, like back roads, trackdays, or just going out for short runs...the 1k is the daddy!!

After owning several high dollar Harleys, ZX10 and 2 Hayabusas amoung a few others. Its easy for me to know The BUSA is the BIKE OF BIKES. The Busa has the looks that are more appealing than some of the most chromed out Harleys. You can out customize a busa over any other bike. The Busa is a bike you can tour, race or just cruise around town. you can comfortably take a passenger, not possible on a liter bike. Both of my Busas have gotten more attention than all of my bikes combined. The liter bikes are good for 1 thing and that of corse is racing. They are fun to ride but that feeling wears off quick. Everybody has a 600 or 1000, they all look the same to most people. Those bikes are not respected by other riders because you usually only see kids riding them like fools. A Busa is a mans sportbike. Comparing price, the liter and busa are close in price but the Busa is much more versitile and can out preform in most cases. Harleys cost twice as much with 1/4 of the preformance and you have another bike that looks like every other Harley on the road. In my opinion its a no brainer. I like all bikes, but to answer your question in my opinion. You would be amazed how many Harley owners buy Busas, but not many busa owners buy Harleys, if that makes sense. Once a Harley rider rides a busa fo r the first time,he is hooked on its comfort and adrenaline rush, they come back with a permasmile, like getting off of the baddest roller coster. When a busa rider rides a harley for the first time it is dull and boring all show and no go! i know the question didnt include Harley but I wanted to compare the Busa to all bikes. Now you can go out buy a Busa, get that permasmile too!

The legs being real bent at the knees with the high pegs on the 1000 was the deciding factor for me. With my bad knees it was a no brainer.

I sat on the 1000....nope
I sat on the R1...........nope
I sat on the ZX-14.....definately nope.

I sat on the Busa......9 seconds later I owned it. 12,000 miles the first season. try that on a Gixxer1000.

Main things are "Ability and Usability" when choosing between the 2 classes. The 1000 obviously will be the better in the curves with a good rider but how many curves do YOU hit on your rides? Better question: how many 1000 and 600 riders are actually GOOD or can corner their bike decent? The Numbers are not too high. Straight line the busa holds the edge. It's one thing what tests say but not everyone can launch or hammer down on a 1000 at speed without scaring themselves silly with the front end dancing up. The busa, while you still have to be careful with it's power as well, is more forgiving. Busa isn't a slug in the curves either and it's seating position is more sport then tour. It won't cripple anyone short of athletic endurance build within a hour like a 1000 will but after about a few hours your shoulders and knees may ask for you to pull over for a stretch session. Heli bar risers and gel seat can aid this. slightly lower pegs too.

Classic examply of Ability vs usability is on a ride I went on some time ago. Decent pack with 2 r1's, a zx-10, gixx 1k, my busa and 2 other busa's and a 12. Ride's goal was to hit some twisties about a hour away and had a good combination of high speed highway running and a few blasts on country roads. Besides a quick stop for gas it was pretty much a straight ride to and through the curves when we took a break before hitting them again on a return run. The literbike guys were not a happy bunch and were quite fatigued and aching. They weren't grumpy old men with pot bellies but average build guys in the early and mid 20's. There was no "Racing" in the curves but we did the pace at fairly high speeds. Busa's and 12 were doing well with the literbikes and none of us on the big bikes were tired or struggling. All the 150mph high speed blasting we did on the highways earlier was CAKE to us on the big bikes whereas the literbikes aero's leave the riders in a more beat up environment. Yes they were running right with the big bikes but their ride wasn't as stable feeling or comfortable. After the return run I said goodbye and split off from the group, took a nice long detour getting back to my city, topped off the tank, visited some freinds and did some nightcruising around the city (beating up on a corvette from a light) before cruising home for the night.

Could I do the same day on a literbike? Maybe...if i bust my tail in the gym more then I am now since it will be along the lines of a endurance race. However the creature comforts and ability the busa offers for both real world riding and the occasional "opening up" you do here and there puts it's usability ratio above that of the literbikes. For me atleast it does.

Why the Busa? unless you do 90% of your riding on twisty roads get the Busa. If you want torque, get the Busa. If you want mind numbing acceleration from any gear at any speed get the Busa. If you want comfort get the Busa. If you want unique looks get the Busa. If you want to own the baddest production vehicle in the history of man, Get the Busa.
If you want a twisty only bike get the Gixxer. If you want cramped knees and numb wrists and a crick in your neck, get the Gixxer. If you want a urine specimen cup for a master cylinder that looks like it was tacked on because they forgot to design one. get the Gixxer.

Back