06 overheats, more questions

acuratech

Registered
Let me start out saying that I am a new member and rider. The attitude and helpfullness of the members on this board is pretty unbelievable. And i thank you guys for that. Anyhow, got the bike in march this year with 5400 on it and it has 8800 on it now, stock minus the frame sliders and alien head full exhaust system.

The bike behaves and rides beautifully, except she's now getting hot sitting in traffic. Searched the boards and came up with a few possibilities regarding my issue. Its been about 105-110 here lately so I believe that's the cause or just my issue showing up. The last time I rode the bike it was about 110 outside and I got stuck at a few traffic lights. The longest light the needle would rise, fan would come on, temps would stabilize, fan seemed to kick off, temps rise. It repeated this several times and that when I think she dumped the coolant from the reservoir. Needle never got to the red zone, but hotter than my liking.

As it sits right now, I've got the plastics off to better access the radiator cap, hoses, and the rest of the cooling system. While doing this i found that she had spit most of the coolant from the reservoir out. I then pressure tested the system to 16 lbs.; she dropped 1/2 lb. in 15 minutes. Seemed pretty good, no external leaks. I then attached my Spill-Free coolant funnel and added a little bit of Acura Type 2 coolant. Started thhe engine and it got to normal operating temp(needles width below the middle hash mark) and the coolant started filling up my funnel and boiling. Shut the motor off, and the coolant went down to its previous full level. While the motor was warming up, I was squeezing the upper and lower hoses to try and get out any air pockets that may have been there. No air pockets seemed to be present.

As an attempt to solve this problem, I picked up 2 bottles of Engine Ice today and have radiator and fans from a 2011 on the way. I'm sure I can fit the radiator and get hoses routed properly and cleanly. I also plan on picking up the temp sensor relocator and a Honda thermal switch. Until those get here I plan on riding the bike with a toggle switch hooked up in place of the thermal switch and see how she does. I figure if the fan stays on while the switch is closed, I can eliminate the cooling fan electricals aside from the thermal switch. If it doesn't then I have another issue. And hopefully the fan can keep up with a 5 minute stop light.

Sorry it's so long winded, but it always irritated me not getting the whole story when working on problem cars. Any other pointers or suggestions would be appreciated.

I would first just try the engine Ice not the radiator its a huge pain in the ass to change from gen1 to gen2 radiator oil cooler fan shroud nothing bolts up..

I went through this over and over ...I still had air in my coolant system....top everything off , over flow and radiator put the cap on the radiator let bike idle till fan comes on have someone help you or take your bike out in the grass lean the bike all the way over (pegs on the ground) to each side several times and rev up the bike to 7 or 8k while it is leaned over let it cool off and top off radiator and over flow again and repeat....your bike gets a small air pocket on the top of the radiator the temp sensor that controlls your fan doesn't get hot as the water does by the time your fan comes on the bike is to hot for the fan to do any good...this should fix your problem.......sometimes if your bike does get hot and you shut it off with out letting the fan cool things down afterwards.. the radiator will start to boil over after and thats how the air pocket gets there...always let the fan cool the bike off after you shut off the bike

If you are boiling fluid out of the overflow bottle, you have a much bigger problem!

It is either a bad head gasket or a warped head, or even a possibly cracked head!

If you are boiling fluid out of the overflow bottle, you have a much bigger problem!

It is either a bad head gasket or a warped head, or even a possibly cracked head!

I think i had the same problem,coolant overflowed.Cap of overflow bottle missing.
I found out there are fine hairline cracks on the overflow bottle.

I replaced a new one,so far so good.Should i check those that you had mentioned?

If it's boiling like the below, head gasket at the least I would say. That's what mine was.

I tried RAD caps and hoses etc etc and ended up with an engine out job :banghead:

Well I have a little bit of an update. I wired in a toggle switch place of the thermal switch to manually cycle the fan. I ran it about 25 minutes total today. I let the temp gauge get up to the middle hash mark and turned the fan on. Coolant temp stabilized at the middle hash mark and didn't rise. I checked the radiator and it was full, and added some to the reservoir to just below the full line. While running she pushed some in there to the top of the "F". As the bike is cooling down, it's getting sucked back into the radiator. No bubbling at all in the reserviour, but I will perform a leak down test at the end of riding season as long as I don't have anymore issues.

At this point with a ambient temp of 110-115; I want to say that a second fan, engine ice, and the Honda thermal switch, and a new radiator cap(for good measure) should resolve my issue. I also picked up some header wrap and will install that as part of a heat management plan. I'm waiting for the gen 2 radiator to show up and wire in the fans and give her a real world test. it's just too hot to sit in traffic when I really don't have to.

Back