'00 exhaust header help.

SlimNickel

Registered
Experts,

I just picked up my first Busa a couple of weeks ago and I want to change out the exhaust, without having to go full-system. I'm in the military, so the budget ain't what you think. At any rate, I noticed that the right-side as you sit on the bike has the mid-pipe going all the way to the "Y", and the left side has the removable clamp to install a slip-on. I want to go with shorties as I have one on my '02 Katana. With the Kat, it was an easy install...loosen the clamp, twist and pull the Scorpion and slide the shorty back in. Do I have to do any cutting to the right side to run the same set-up? What other suggestion would have, as I am on a budget with a family to bear in mind. Much respect and thanks.

-Slim-

The right side should have a clamp like the left side. My 07 Gen 1 had clamps on both sides, loosened both of them and slipped of the factory pipes. If you look at the pic you can see where I reused the factory clamp (its the chrome looking band at the base of the tip.)

2010-04-02 10.24.40.jpg

the best thing to do to save money and not buy a full system is to just buy some factory headers from an 02-07 busa and then just buy some cheapy stubby pipes, when doing this I would go ahead and do the pair valve mod and make sure to buy new exhaust gaskets...beware tho, your performance will go down with the cheap pipes

Thanks to all for the info. I thought about doing a header swap, but just wasn't sure what year would fit. Because of the swap...if I go that route, would I have to jet the carbs?

You dont have carbs :-) it is fuel injected :-)
And just changing header does not mean you need a tune as far as I know.

You are FI. Also white going stubby exhaust you are gonna get "MUCH" louder. Will have less back pressure throwing off how the bike performs. Not un-ridable however. Also you will get different opinions on whether it does harm to the motorcycle engine or not.

I run a MotoGP style shorty on my Katana. I had the carbs jetted, so I don't have any performance problems. As far as sound, I don't mind it being loud. It's essential to have loud pipes riding in Japan. The cagers don't always see you, but they damn sure hear you coming with loud pipes.

i have a 2000 busa, e-racer from the forums donated his stock header and mids from 2005 busa....bolted right on and they are nice n shiny midpipes v.s. the 2000's black ugly ones. * IMO * lol

Back