1999 Busa starter whiring not engaging

Starter whiring not engaging

General Information

Hi guys and girls my bike has a fully charged new battery and it’s on trickle charge it’s showing full by trickle charger.
I serviced my bike today and started it several times afterwards.
When I came back to go for a ride the starter motor turned over slowly and didn’t engage.
I have attached a video for you to listen to has anyone got any clue what’s wrong other than the obvious it won’t turn engine over.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Sadly I can’t attach a video to this post it won’t let me.
  • 193DB627-7B13-429F-BDD1-BAEEF95FB4E2.jpeg
    193DB627-7B13-429F-BDD1-BAEEF95FB4E2.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 16,815
  • 13AAA082-4E69-46EE-9F21-8E131A15659F.jpeg
    13AAA082-4E69-46EE-9F21-8E131A15659F.jpeg
    288.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Wow
Reactions: RedBull

Comments

The "Showcase" section is for showing off the bike, which you did well, it is a beautiful bike!

Select Forums / Maintenance & Modifications / Busa Problems

On the right side select Post Thread.

You can link to an online video but I do not think you can post a video file. Forums do not have the storage capability to host videos. So if you can post it to Youtube you may provide the url for that in your post.

The "Showcase" section is for showing off the bike, which you did well, it is a beautiful bike!

Select Forums / Maintenance & Modifications / Busa Problems

On the right side select Post Thread.

You can link to an online video but I do not think you can post a video file. Forums do not have the storage capability to host videos. So if you can post it to Youtube you may provide the url for that in your post.
Okay thanks I’ll try again it’s a beaut bike

I kinda had the same problem that you had a few weeks ago, the engine wasn't engaging when the starter spun it. Take your starter to a local auto shop and have them load test it. Other than that ,check the one way starter clutch bearing, it should spin one way and lock the other way. Hopefully this helps!

@David Tiller

did you already charge the battery again?

i guess it got a bit empty by the (bigger?) numbers of motor starts (without driving)
the starter need a lot of amperes and the busa batt. only has 10Ah.

when batt. is recharged and motor is running messure the voltage at the batt. poles .
if you only get under 13.0 V at iddle or at 3-4,000 rpm you may have an issue with the generator (area) at all

and nearly forgotten - look for the two connector-pairs
a. in the tail LH at rectifier
b. under the tank where the 3 yellow wires are connected
see for that issue my pics at
page 1
page 2

I had a problem with my gen 1 2000 busa, it would turn over slow and had a dull clonking noise when trying to Startup once hot.
I took the starter off and opened it up, 2 of the magnets had come unbonded, I rebonded them with ‘no more nails’, it’s now fine again
Good luck

@David Tiller

did you already charge the battery again?

i guess it got a bit empty by the (bigger?) numbers of motor starts (without driving)
the starter need a lot of amperes and the busa batt. only has 10Ah.

when batt. is recharged and motor is running messure the voltage at the batt. poles .
if you only get under 13.0 V at iddle or at 3-4,000 rpm you may have an issue with the generator (area) at all

and nearly forgotten - look for the two connector-pairs
a. in the tail LH at rectifier
b. under the tank where the 3 yellow wires are connected
see for that issue my pics at
page 1
page 2
I have bike fully charged on trickle charger and a new stator and rectifier

I replaced stator and reciter started it three times then the starter free wheeled I bought a new starter clutch it has arrived but I’m waiting for the tool ordered a month ago to arrive from the UK it was meant to arrive in foUr days it show as sitting stati9nary in a mail sorting centre in UK sadly

Item information

Added by
David Tiller
Views
Comments
Last update

More in Gen 1 1999 - 2007

Share this item

Back