Exhaust mod: ThrasherFox style

jay21112

Registered
OK, I've been busy this weekend (as anyone whose been on the board has noticed since I started like 6 new topics...)

I did a bunch of service to the bike and a few home-grown mods....the last of which I have to post about is the exhaust.

A while ago I had read a thread on how ThrasherFox modded his exhaust by cutting the midpipes to essentially get rid of the mufflers and lose 16 pounds (I weighed them....8 lbs each). I forgot where the thread is, but basically you measure 6 inches up from where the midpipe attaches to the header and put a mark on the bottom of the midpipe. Then you measure 9 inches up on the top and mark it. Take the pipes off the bike, make the cut (slanting from 9 inches on the top to 6 inches on the bottom) and bolt the suckers back to the bike.

I had asked ThrasherFox how loud it was and he said it was loud but not obnoxiously so....I now call him a liar. haha... because OMG is it loud. I truly don't know how long I will be able to keep the bike like this. For the only reason being that I can just imagine what is going to happen the first time I roll by a cop. That'll be 1 ticket and the reason to beg someone for their stock exaust...but until then I will love every minute of what I have....because it sounds like a fricken dream.

Just starting the bike up is like a sonic boom, and then sitting there as it idles is like a race car with huge cams. And acceleration at any speed....be it from 1-2 mph or 70-120 mph it sounds like a freaking lion roaring through a megaphone. I cannot even describe it. All I can say is go to your bike and unbolt everything behind the exhaust. Start it up and rev it a bit. Now imagine that sound through a resonance tube (which is bacially what the midpipes have become). Open headers sound mean, but harsh. Putting the cut midpipe on takes the harshness away and gives the exhaust a better tone.

The ONLY times it isn't "arrest-me I'm a fricken criminal" loud is when you are going at a constant clip (not accelerating, but crusing at constant speed) or when you are deccelerating with the clutch pushed in. During these 2 times the bike is louder.....but not too noticable. However, start it up, let it idel, accelerate, or even deccelerate and you'll hear it......in china.

I also took off the rear peg/exhaust hangers. I never liked the look of them and I think I can get away with having a passenger rest their feet on my legs or pegs (I've seen it done before...that's where I got the idea). So, to clean up the rear, I took them off and ordered a smoothie tail from catalystracingcomposites.com (it does not have a cutout for the rear hangers) and I'm going to install that with a tiger racing undertail in order to lower the rear of the bike.

Now...To note, this weekend I also did the small airbox mod, removed the valve at the bottom and sealed the airbox, installed a BMC Race air filter, and sealed the ram air tubes (cheaply...with duct tape). Also I dropped 16 lbs by taking off the mufflers and another 3 or so lbs by taking off the exhaust/rear peg hangers. (I didn't weigh these) So when I say that the bike is faster....it isn't from just cutting the exhaust. However....the bike is NOTICIABLY faster. The acceleration is markedly improved. I had cleaned the seat (with armor-all) and when I shifted from 2nd to 3rd on the highway I nearly fell off the bike. haha. But yeah, no joke, I actually FELT the difference in the bike.

So, all in all, I am in love with this mod. The bike both sounds and performs better. Less weight and less restriction (air). I hope to the lord above I don't get pulled over for it and have to fix it...but those are the chances we all take.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I removed the PAIR this weekend as well and have purchased a PCRIII and will tune for the new mods. ThrasherFox said he rode for a long time with the PAIR on and without tuning the bike, and no harm came from it. However since you have to remove the PAIR for any full system I decided to do it just in case, and I will feel better with a tune now that I have a lot more air coming in and a little more air leaving the bike.

On to the pics!!!

Passenger_footpegs___exhaust_hangers__removed_.jpg

(Mr Brown @ Nov. 05 2006,16:06) Looks good! Now pass thru a pack of Harleys runnin about 7k!
HAHA, they would be like "WTF was that thing? I barely saw it, it was moving so fast, but damn was it loud!"

ive been wanting to cut the mids in half my self. Where did you cut them at? (location) or did you get someone to cut them for you? Also, are you running a PC3 right now? Is it just running a standard map? Is there any chuging from the bike at low rpm's?

I ride with him all the time...could have told ya how QUIET that mod is
tounge.gif

(V8N3T @ Nov. 05 2006,16:25) ive been wanting to cut the mids in half my self. Where did you cut them at? (location) or did you get someone to cut them for you? Also, are you running a PC3 right now? Is it just running a standard map? Is there any chuging from the bike at low rpm's?
Cut them myself. With help from my dad and his tools (Mechanic for many many years).

Just used a grinder on it. Used a cutting blade to make the cuts then the grinding disk to smooth them out.

Came out ok....would have liked to cut the inner pipe shorter than the outer one, but I couldn't do that myself.

The whole thing about this mod is that it is free. That's why I did it. If I was going to have a shop do it that would cost money and I might as well have bought an exhaust system. (That's how I look at it at least).

And I edited my first post...but I am currently NOT running a PCRIII and it runs fine. HOWEVER I did buy a PCRIII and I will hook it up and get a custom map this winter as I don't want to leave anything to chance....

I hear ya buddy .....but I left a little more on mine . Love it !!

Halloween_2006_065.jpg

looking good

it was to loud for me and the local cops

(BA BUSA @ Nov. 05 2006,17:00)
(jay21112 @ Nov. 05 2006,16:53)
(BA BUSA @ Nov. 05 2006,16:49) I ride with him all the time...could have told ya how QUIET that mod is
tounge.gif
If you ride with him....you must ride in front....
I wear ear plugs
tounge.gif
I don't let him pass me, he's just taking it easy anyway...  
tounge.gif

APOP

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

Back