dual ram air mod/ exhaust question

nurse_bobcat

Registered
Just shooting out an idea! would it be worth replacing the turn signals with anotmher ram air duct that attaches into the stock on.. The idea behind it would be allowing more air to enter in the box.

question 2... Why is the exhaust on the full system 14 inches. it's really really long, and what would happen if i replace it with a two bros shorty

(already have done the air box mod too), full system, pc3 tre and etc

Think that Suzuki did a good job with the ram air ducts as they are other wise they would of designed them differently. Doubt you would find it beneficial for a stock engine, it might help for a 1441/1507 etc, but can only log runs and see if bigger ram air inlets would make a difference.

The length of a full system canister is to keep the noise to an acceptable level, by changing it to 2Bros shorty will make a huge difference in noise levels, dont think it would give you a performance advantage over a full system.

Awesome, thanks for the insight on the ram air duct. I probably won't go to a larger size 1441/1507..

I have hindle headers(full system). So, the system is quieter, which is ok. I wouldn't mind if it was a tad bit louder, would it be bad to keep the hinder headers and put a 2 bros shorty on it?

You can cut your mufflers shorter and gain a little sound.
Remove the packing if you it to raspy and obnoxious.

The length of a full system canister is to keep the noise to an acceptable level, by changing it to 2Bros shorty will make a huge difference in noise levels, dont think it would give you a performance advantage over a full system.

I have the 2Bros shorties on mine, and while it doesn't really improve power, there is a HUGE drop in the weight of the bike (compared to stock mufflers) which would lead to better performance. I also prefer the look of the smaller muffler.

The sound is loud and mean. If you don't mind hearing your bike (and letting everyone else listen as well) then I say go for it.

--Sky

I have to agree with the other posters. Lots of engineering goes into the air rams and air box.

i would shorten the mufflers if you want more sound but i would not remove the packing, i dont mind loud but that will IMO and like sixpack said, obnoxious. or sell them and get some shorty mufflers, just make sure they will mount to your hindle header and the bike unless you have some fab skills and can make them work.

If your looking to up your ram air intake just buy a set of Carpenter's Power Scoops :whistle:

Obnoxious like the little Honda Civics buzzing around town like a bumble bee. The sound doesn't make your car fast :laugh:

Actually cutting the stock muffler down to 8-9" gives it a deeper sound, far from a fast and furious import sound. I wouldnt remove the baffling nor drill 1/2 holes maybe 3 1/4 holes.. Much better and smarter then buying slip ons. I also understand not every one has modification skills.
Mufflers are used for sound headers and pipe are for flow.

Ram-air in a sealed system (ok semi-sealed.. :rofl:) does not necessarily rely on volume as it does pressurizing. There are also reasons for strange shaping of the duct work as well as the built in resonators.I am not a fluid dynamic expert but know what works or does not work at the layman's level of knowledge. Lots of wind tunnel testing prove that the current ram-air duct works pretty good for HP, MPG and sound deadening when WOT. When you change from the stock 1300 and go to a 1397 or 1441 with performance headwork and cams then a revised ram-air can assist in better HP output given an adequate but without a wind tunnel or preferable real world testing, hope you have time and money to find that right design for your ride.

Don't get hung up on ram-air unless your are running over 200mph+. Just make sure yours is sealed completely and run a good filter best performance.

Back