A Fall Ride through Northern California- pics

pashnit

Donating Member
Site Sponsor
Registered
We normally don't see any ride reports around here (fact I'm not even sure where to put this), but I'd thought I'd break the mold a little and share a little trip up through Northern California did the other day. Temps are starting to drop, Fall is here and a great time to go out riding in NorCal!!

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Fall Ride through Northern California</span>
<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>A Pashnit Designed Motorcycle Ride</span>

You've probably heard me say this if you've hung around the pashnit realm long enough, but I've often regarded taking a motorcycle journey akin to stepping into another world. One separate from our own day to day routine of work, kids, spouses, the usual sorts of things we both take for granted and come to appreciate over time.

But it's that moment you fire up the motorcycle all packed, at 5 am in the morning, then roll out onto the road to head off for the horizon that you get to step into that netherworld of motorcycle travel. A world where passing motorcyclists wave to one another and smile to themselves. A world inbetween actual reality- one where you get to escape all that. Just you, the motorcycle, and a good road. What more could you ever want?

Great folks, good times, great roads!!

IMG_8657-Nugget-900.jpg

<!--EDIT|pashnit
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129182286 -->

While my last Pashnit Motorcycle Ride of the Sierra Nevada Mountains was dominated by Harley Davidson motorycles- this one was all about sport-bikes. No ryhme or reason, just how it goes. Riders were as varied as always.

Eric is a web designer who is responsible for the pashnittours.com website. About 3 years ago, Eric contacted me & asked if I ever need any web design help, to let him know. Seems he and I have been working together for 3 years now, and this was the first time we'd actually met in person.

IMG_8630-eric.jpg

Eric's Honda CBR 1000. Likey? Me too! Eric had just added a Jardine carbon fiber slip-on can. Sounded great when he fired that thing up. Undertail exhausts are very cool!!

IMG_8775-CBR.jpg

Mark was the IT guy from Davis that works with maps, websites, and all manner of IT goodies. He came to Davis to go to school, then never left. Mark also has a cruiser in the stable. Two bikes are always better than one. He'd used the Pashnit site to explore in all directions around his home. Plus following our tour, he had planned an additional several days of riding. This was sort of like his kick-off to his motorcycle vacation!

IMG_8601-Mark.jpg

Mark's ZZR

IMG_8611-ZZR.jpg

Ayumi has come a long way, from Japan, and has been riding for over 10 years with several different motorcycles, both in Japan and here in the states. She's a registered nurse by trade, but when riding her brand new GSXR 1000, you'd never guess. When you look at this bike, you'd never know it was a 1000. It looked like a 600, and was tiny. Ayumi mentioned that when she was out bike shopping, it was smaller than the 600 & 750 oddly enough.

IMG_8560-Ayumi.jpg

IMG_8604-Ayumi.jpg

David hails from the California Foothills, and has been riding for well over 30 years. He came on the ever-popular SV650, which has developed such a devout following. Of all the interesting jobs riders have had that I've ridden with, David's is a cartographer, as in map maker. Seems he has a rather storied job history, and at one time his only job was as a chain installer (think snowing and mountain passes). Dave is also a Vietnam vet and served in combat during a tour in Vietnam from '69-'70.

IMG_8585-David.jpg

David along Highway 1

IMG_8563-David.jpg

Stephen rolled on down from Oregon to join the tour, and added even more credence to the adage that you can tour on anything. His ride was an '82 Yamaha Seca 650, (same bike used in the Cycle World $1000/1000 Mile Tour in April) leaving his Ducati 900SS at home for this particular ride. The one thing that surprised me was how fast he was on this 20+ year old bike. Don't get sucked in by the thought that you need a fast bike to go fast. Not neccesarily. ;)

IMG_8660-Steve.jpg

Stephen's general philosophy on life.
IMG_8772-sticker.jpg

His Yamaha Seca 650

IMG_8572-Seca.jpg

Hugh also rode along with us on Saturday. Our local rider there in Fortuna, Hugh came on his Harley. He just needed an excuse to go riding, and we happened to be in the neighborhood. And riding right past his house. Don't need any better excuse than that.

IMG_8575-hugh.jpg

Your Pashnit Tour Guide ;) Okay, now that you've met everyone- let's ride !!!

IMG_8595-pashnit.jpg

You might say my morning didn't exactly go as planned this time around- at least not at first. Seems I didn't even make the first 100 miles before this came along. My first flat in the last 10 years of riding. The first time, I was able to limp home. This time, thankfully, I was able to pull off the freeway at the first exit.

IMG_8523-truck.jpg

IMG_8524-tire.jpg

I attempted to re-fill the tire, but it went flat again in about 15 seconds. Not good.

IMG_8525-tire-hole.jpg

She still looks good, even with a flat. So then off to the local dealer...

Img_1699-busa.jpg

<!--EDIT|pashnit
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129181440 -->

They also had the new Road Trip Magazine, which has a feature article about Yours Truly. The tour participants inadvertantly got autographed copies!!

Here's a link to the article in case you'd like to read it. You can find Road Trip Mag at your local moto-retailer. For now they're free for the first issue.

Linky --> Pashnit Road Trip Linky <-- Linky

IMG_8531-mag.jpg

Oh well. Whaddya gonna do.

IMG_8533-gas.jpg

Did I mention the food? Mmm good! Oceansong Restaruant in Gaulala took care of that. Tasty!

Riders at Oceansong Restaurant

IMG_8541-Gualala.jpg

<!--EDIT|pashnit
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129181539 -->

Neat thing about the California Coastline is the history. It's everywhere dating to the 1800's.

IMG_8539-Gualala.jpg

The California Pacific Coastline was as beautiful as always and we got a chance to stop by the Point Arena Lighthouse. A must do if you are in the vicinity.

Kinda looks like a postcard, eh?

IMG_8543-PointArenaLighthouse.jpg

Road to the Point Arena Lighthouse

Img_1710-PointArena.jpg

California Pacific Coastline

IMG_8550-PointArenaLighthouse.jpg

The scene along Highway 1

IMG_8562-Hwy1.jpg

While the sun had been warm and the temperatures perfect, you really have to appreciate the microclimates of California. Approaching Fort Bragg, it began to get really misty, than foggy, then it was just plain raining.

Ayumi decided that the handwarmers on Steve's bike were a good place to be. Once you get some electric handwarmers on the bike - you'll wonder why you didn't do something like this years ago!

IMG_8565.jpg

Ready to head inland. Hopefully some sunshine?

IMG_8774-Hwy1.jpg

After the twisty section of Hwy 1 inland to Legget in a misty rain, it was time to dry off the gloves. Not fun in the rain.
sad.gif
First time we've hit any sort of moisture in last 2 yrs.

IMG_8568-gloves.jpg

Ayumi's Suzuki GSXR 1000

IMG_8567-GSXR.jpg

The following day dawned foggy and cold along the Pacific Coast. Time to head inland along the always dreamy . The more I ride this road over the years, the more I've come to think it's probably the best motorcycle road in the state of California.

140 Miles of Absolute Bliss.

Unmatched in length, variety, scenic views, and don't forget the non-stop sweeping curves, downhill curves, uphill curves, hairpin curves, mountain curves. Just a lotta curves.

Pashnit aboard the Hayabusa (You can make out the & the outstanding RKA Saddlebags I use all the time.)

Ayumi ready to ride...

IMG_8573-ayumi.jpg

<!--EDIT|pashnit
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129214987 -->

I spent a lot more time shooting pics of the bikes this time around too. Check this out...

Ayumi's GSXR1000 along - views like this are common place!!

---> Linky ---> Btw- article I wrote about Hwy 36 for

IMG_8579.jpg

Needs a caption

IMG_8581.jpg

<!--EDIT|pashnit
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129215144 -->

David's Suzuki SV650- interesting thing about his bike, is every owner I meet lauds praises on this bike.

IMG_8583-SV.jpg

The SV650 & Highway 36

IMG_8586.jpg

Back