Oil problem

martinkark

Registered
Hello!

I am writing from Estonia

As there are not many Hayabusas in Estonia, I thought I´ll try my luck here.

Bought myself a Hayabusa very cheaply. (Previously I had seen Hayabusa only from pictures, so lack of experience here...) Previous owner has removed engine and cylinders from engine. So I havent heard/seen it run. But I think life should be interesting. Previous owner told that he started to repair bike, because he thought that there was power loss, and when he opened engine, he saw that ewhaust valves vere dirty and he thought there was this problem but no smoking engine and no extra noises.... Good strory!
First I saw that two conrods were moving on the crank ca 1mm, so I replaced crank and rods and bearings. But I havent realize what has happened there... I think that engine has worked without oil, but I cant figure out where did the oil go... There was no leakeges. So I was reading this forum and started thinking about oil rings. I measured oil ring groove width (as below shown) and I got 1.90mm So I should replace them. Also I should replace exhaust valves, because they are burned and look like there are somekind of wormholes in them.

My question nr 1 is: What do you guys think, is it possible that this engine burned all oil, and previous owner wasnt check oil level and in ended like I described? I mean is it possible that engine is burning so much oil so fast?

Question no 2. I am changing all piston/oil rings and valves, also crank and conrods and conrod bearings. Is there anything else I should do as my engine is opened up right now?

DSC_1077.jpg

DSC_1079.jpg

It's also possible that he never change the oil. You should be fine as long as you use all new rings and make sure all the oil passages You should be fine as long as you use all new rings and make sure all the oil passages are cleaned out thoroughly. Replace the valve guide seals while of the valves are out of the head .

What year is it and how many miles? I would do your own poking around before taking some other guys word on engine problems.

Can you post pics of the "burned" exhaust valves? Could it possibly be they just have carbon in it from poor maintenance?

Also welcome to the org. Lots of good for experience here so just keep the questions coming.

I am doing my poking around, but as I have no experience, I have nothing, to compare them with...
Bike is from 2000 and ca 35 000km

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah those valves are jacked up. They will run like that just lose a little compression. If you want maximum power definitely replace them

Ok, ordered new valves. But how is there any suggestions how to fit them in cylinder head? Can I use polish/grinding paste?

Are you sure lapping is right thing to do? I have heard that Hayabusa valves are made of titanium, so if you lap them, they will only last 1000-2000km. Thats because you have to cut only valveholes.

Back