2011 Mojave Mile

megawatt

Registered
I just got back home from checking out the Mojave Mile. For those not familiar it is the West Coast location for a one mile long go as fast as you can non timed event. It does not matter how fast you got to the end it only matters what your trap speed is at the finish line. I was there for only a couple of hours so I did get to see at least one run from everyone that was participating. I would encourage everyone to go to a LSR event (land speed race) when you get the chance. Everyone likes to talk about their machines and their stories.

Perfect weather, little to no wind, 70 degrees and lots of powerful bikes and cars. I don't know how many Busas were there turbo and non turbo, approx 12? Two ZX-14's (one managed 202mph, one ZX-10, one go cart (with motorcycle engine, that smoked the track going 130ish), two Ford GT's that were twin turboed, many hemi powered challengers, a stock car, one cherry Pantera, and a Viper with a parachute.

I did not write down the speed, names or specifics so I am sure I will misquote some speeds. The results will be up on the mojave mile website eventually. For all you BMW, honda, and yamaha supporters the bad news is I saw none of their bikes so if they were "the best bike" or "the fastest bike" or whatever they were a no show.

I guess the big news is still Bill Warner going 311mph at Loring a few months ago on the 1.5mile track. Bill was there today and he went 273mph and nobody got anywhere close to his run. He is much faster than the closest competitor, and you can tell he was sooo much faster than everyone else when his bike was on the track.

Scott Horner of Heads up Performance was there assisting Bill and towed him to and from the track. If you know the name of a fast guy on a motorcycle chances are they are friends of Scott Horner as he has been building and running fast busas for many many years. Scott said he was going to run later in the event, so no idea of what he ran. There was Rebecca from Texas (she was at the Busa stampede) on her all motor busa, she went 150, 160, 173mph for her first ever LSR runs. Lots of Busas that I did not get around to say hi to so I hope they see their pics and add to the post.

Anyway here are some pics, starting with Bill Warner And Scott Horner.

Chubby cheeked squirrel on the rock looking at me.
DSC_0001.jpg

273.8mph
DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

It's been a long time since I've seen a Pantera, and that red is beautiful. You should have taken a pic of the shifter. From memory very unique. Bill didn't look to happy. I want to say he ran +278 with factory fairings at either Texas or Maxton. Super fast regardless. Maybe that new supercharged 15 can break 210 :laugh:

Love the Pantera.

Great pics! Thanks :thumbsup:

Posted at 150 mph via Tapatalk

Bill was just caught by the camera and appeared that way. I interrupted his burger and he still greated me (a stranger) with a smile and good hand shake while looking me in the eye. People who are not interested with you do not look u in the eye.

I was wondering if I was the only one in awe of the pantera. That car was BAD AZZ. I should of take many more pics. Never knew about the shifter.

That pantera is sweet.Always been a fan of those and the smallblock sunbeam tigers.Wonder what the big guy did on the poor busa.

I am trying to figure out why the right side of the pictures are cut off on this topic. All the pictures I took and stored on photobucket are complete but they appear as if I took a picture and chopped off the right side? Humm?

I am trying to figure out why the right side of the pictures are cut off on this topic. All the pictures I took and stored on photobucket are complete but they appear as if I took a picture and chopped off the right side? Humm?

?? They look fine for me... ;)

Bill was just caught by the camera and appeared that way. I interrupted his burger and he still greated me (a stranger) with a smile and good hand shake while looking me in the eye. People who are not interested with you do not look u in the eye.

I was wondering if I was the only one in awe of the pantera. That car was BAD AZZ. I should of take many more pics. Never knew about the shifter.

I was being funny about Wild Bill. From everything I've seen he is a super great guy and heck he rode a Busa to 312 MPH. The only Pantera I've ever seen was in 1972, and it was the nastiest green color. The shifter went through a small slit in the console that looked like this /\/\/\ .

Bill is an extremely humble guy who loves to get everything he can out of his Busa. Glad you got to meet him in person.

So cool! You should have run your bike. Doyle

I am already getting the necessary parts lined up fro next April when they run again...ie, metal valve stems, chain guard, different gearing, etc.

The track was open for as many runs as a person wanted to make. Many times when the announcer said there was nobody in line. Just ride or drive up and they would stage you to make a run. Anyone notice that Bills bike has the radiator closed off to the airflow? He has a spraybar of CO2 in front of the radiator to cool down the coolant.

206mph GPS
DSC_0017.jpg

Back