Hey you shutterbugs, Come on in.

damn.......

those are nice...

Raises a question i meant to ask with F=MA, how are yalls pics like that so crisp? is that directly related to the quality of the lens? even on a tripod, My objects don't "pop out" like that.

There probably isn't any one thing so much as there are many different things that contribute to the crispness. Quality of equipment plays some role, the ability of the photographer plays a part, how the image is processed, then post-processed plays a part. How lighting is controlled plays a role. The subject itself and the surrounding background can play a large part. How much compression of the image is introduced between the time the image registered on the camera's image sensor and when the viewer sees it is critical as well. I can elaborate on this point further if you'd like.

Surt is correct below. When you view an image on your computer screen, assuming you're seeing the "whole" picture, you're actually only seeing a relatively small amount of the pixels that are contained in the image, as computer screens aren't that big or high resolution. By the time you view an image I post in a thread here, it is substantially smaller than the original. I lot of photos in internetland look phenomenal when viewed on a computer screen, but if they were printed at a decent size, they wouldn't look nearly so good.

Nice work on your 'busa photo. I'm more from the "less is more" camp, and tend not to heavily process most of my work. It's a fine line between "looks great" and "looks fake", and unless one's artistic vision doesn't care about realism (perfectly acceptable, of course), it can be easy to overdo post-processing with Photoshop, et. al.

Also, one rule you never break is this: in digital photography when you downscale your images, you always sharpen.

If you're series about digital photography you'll have your head up Adobe's ass. So what you want to do it create 2 duplicate layers of your photograph. One with with a moderate blur, and another with heavy sharpening. Then you just adjust the opacity of these layers until you find a happy medium that's silky while also sharp.

This is a technique I've not utilized yet. Thanks for sharing. Very nice work b.t.w. Please share more.

This photo has a deeper meaning than many are going to catch. Very nice composition Captain!

Cumulus Mammatus.jpg

Last edited:
i think i shoulda raised the fstop on the bottle a little and sat the camera on a tripod...

i think i shoulda raised the fstop on the bottle a little and sat the camera on a tripod...

What aperture did you use?

You're learning that the greater the magnification, the shallower the depth of field becomes. This will be useful knowledge to transfer over when you start working with telephoto and super telephoto focal lengths.

Here are a couple of shots with my Olympus E450. I used the 40-150mm lens and had it set on Sport. That way, if there was any movement, the picture wouldn't blur. Tell me what you think.

P8142905.jpg

P8142929.jpg

P8142938.jpg

P8143025.jpg

P7152608.jpg

Here are a couple of shots with my Olympus E450. I used the 40-150mm lens and had it set on Sport. That way, if there was any movement, the picture wouldn't blur. Tell me what you think.

Honestly? You pictures are lacking composition. Choose your subject, and either zoom in/out or crop the picture accordingly. There is so much going on in the pictures it is hard to tell where my focus should be. For instance, in a lot of the pictures you cut the people at the edges in half. Try changing your DoF (aperture) to work on some Bokeh in your pictures. By doing this you will "somewhat" blur out the background and put the focus on the person/thing you are aiming for.

I hope I have not been too critical, just trying to give you honest/helpful feedback. Good luck and happy shooting,
Jonny

What aperture did you use?

You're learning that the greater the magnification, the shallower the depth of field becomes. This will be useful knowledge to transfer over when you start working with telephoto and super telephoto focal lengths.

I didnt even see this post... sorry. rocking 3.5 if i remember correctly.. thinking 8 woulda gave be a better pic.

I didnt even see this post... sorry. rocking 3.5 if i remember correctly.. thinking 8 woulda gave be a better pic.

I suspect with more practice you'll find yourself using much, much smaller apertures for your macro subjects.

i'll throw some of mine in. i'm far from pro though. i bought a used 5d and a 24-70 lens because i wanted really good pictures of my kids growing up and i know i've gotten my money's worth out of it.

i did learn some photoshop. my opinion is you don't need to know a whole lot about photoshop, just layers, masks and curves. a good s curve will make the image pop. i don't sharpen in photoshop, not worth the time, especially for portraits which is 99% of what i take pictures of.

it's a lot of fun once you get into it.

IMG_5358---chloe-portrait---750x500.jpg

IMG_5596---yana-&-matth---500x750.jpg

IMG_5971---dianna!---500x750.jpg

IMG_1535 - chloe - cropped - bw - web.jpg

i'll throw some of mine in. i'm far from pro though. i bought a used 5d and a 24-70 lens because i wanted really good pictures of my kids growing up and i know i've gotten my money's worth out of it.

i did learn some photoshop. my opinion is you don't need to know a whole lot about photoshop, just layers, masks and curves. a good s curve will make the image pop. i don't sharpen in photoshop, not worth the time, especially for portraits which is 99% of what i take pictures of.

it's a lot of fun once you get into it.

man you just have to love pics of the family... .Great shots..

Back