hey shutterbugs... camera thread.?

m_ridgeway

pipeline trash
Donating Member
Registered
if there is already a camera thread please point me to one. i dont really want to join a camera forum and read the tech stuff.

but im looking at buying a new camera to take better pics than the point and shoot sony i have..

does this sound like a good deal. whats good or bad, what would you go to instead?

Nikon D3000 kit with 18-55mm VR lens. Comes with everything that it came with from the factory. Haven't used this one much at all. Just getting rid of it because I have too many cameras. $375

For that price, you'll get a camera with abilities far beyond what you're currently capable of utilizing. If you leave it in "Auto" mode, as 90% of dSLR owners do, it is likely you'll get photos that are somewhat better than what you would have in the same situation with your point & shoot. If you find you want to learn how to take better photos, this camera will serve you well for quite some time.

Worst case scenario if you find you're not happy with it, you can sell it for about the same amount of money you paid for it. If the camera is in the condition described, it is a very good deal for someone looking to upgrade to a "real" camera.

On the other hand, a bad photographer will take a bad photo 99 times out of 100 regardless how nice their camera is.

You said you didn't want to join a forum to learn about this camera model, so here you go. There are several pages to this review (the "next" link is really small near the bottom of the page), and it will discuss a lot of things you probably aren't yet familiar with.

If you have general photography questions, or Canon related questions I can help. There is a member here who has the username "Slash" who can probably give better Nikon related answers than I can.

Have fun!

Last edited:
if there is already a camera thread please point me to one. i dont really want to join a camera forum and read the tech stuff.

but im looking at buying a new camera to take better pics than the point and shoot sony i have..

does this sound like a good deal. whats good or bad, what would you go to instead?

Good deal in my eyes. Easily resellable at that price and if you buy better lenses you should be able to just upgrade to a better Nikon body. I purchased a D5000 as my 1st DSLR and love it! You might look for some reviews and make your decision from those. There are plenty of people on here that should be able to help!

From personal experiences I would get ahold of Bubba! He takes some amazing photos of us when we went riding together.

Back