Monumental-less ride in the mountains.

SlimNickel

Registered
Ok. Here's the short and shkinny. I decided to head to to Miyagasi...mountain range in Japan, and had a boo-boo weekend before last.. I was coming around a right-hand curve a little hotter than I should have. Conditions: Posted speed limit is 40kph. I was probably doing 60kph; not much, but more than enough for this curve. As I came into the turn, I noticed that I was drifting out a little wide to the left...we drive on the opposite side of the road. In doing so, I was already in a lean and noticed that the road was uneven in the middle. As I came through, the front tire caught some gravel next to the curb and it was too late to correct it. All I could do was see the curb coming up and think to myself "Aight, here we go!!!" The front tire met the curb and and threw me off and over the left side. I landed on the sidewalk and rolled over once. The bike slid about 5-feet and spun around headed the opposite direction.

Here's the bad news...oh yeah, the above is the bad. Really, I had just received my frame sliders in the mail a couple of days prior. I didn't have the time to take it to a shop or install them myself...wish I had. Good news: I wasn't hurt at all. I stood up, my buddy and I picked the bike up and here is where the assesment comes in. I installed a stator slider about 2 weeks prior, and that took the most of the force. I wasn't leaking any fluids. It snapped off the tip of my clutch lever, broke off the bar end, and I have a rashes on the fairing. All in all, I was able to continue riding for the rest off the day with no problems. The only thing that really hrut was my pride. See the pics, and tell me what you think. In the mean-time, I've also started doing some minor mods. New shorty levers, pegs, shorty-exhaust mod, painted the cowl to match the top of the tank and clear turn signals. I WILL be installing the sliders this week, since work is not is permitting to ride that much this week. I popped my cherry.

P7202832.jpg

P7202833.jpg

P7202834.jpg

P7202837.jpg

P7202838.jpg

P7202839.jpg

P7202840.jpg

P7202841.jpg

P7202842.jpg

P7202843.jpg

P7202844.jpg

P7202845.jpg

P7202846.jpg

P7202847.jpg

P7202848.jpg

Yeah, I was a little shook at first. But you know how that goes. Gotta get back in the saddle and defeat the beast; not be defeated by the beast.

Any ride you can walk away from bro......ATGATT:thumbsup:

Now that did leave a mark! Glad you were no more the worse for the wear! I do like the idea of side cover protection. Is that a custom piece or is this from a supplier? For both sides? Like to find out about those.

Again, it's great to hear that you didn't suffer long term injury. Hopefully an ATGATT situation. :thumbsup: :beerchug:

it takes a few hundred miles to learn how to muscle the weight of the bike around corners. It's a heavy bike. Glad to hear your ok!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jay Willie,

You could pick up one of these stator sliders on eBay for about $35. I bought that out here in Japan from a local parts shop. They make one cover for both sides. Just google stator slider. there should be a number of vendors in the states. Maybe one in your area. I can attest that the do work!!!

Slim, I was just looking at the Agras stator sliders last night. U took some serious mills off of the plastic on those sliders....also like the look and design of the Agras line.
As far as the plastics go...take a look at mine. I spent the time sanding them back down, primering, and repainting....but they can be repaired...don't chuck 'em...just road rash..I even had a split in mine and was easy to repair. I got a couple of bar ends if u want to pay shipping...R U military?

bike plastics ready for primer 02-04-10 005.jpg

plastic repairs 101 004.jpg

bike stuff and ski wear 005.jpg

Russian river 07-18-10 011.jpg

2hip,

That was some great work that you put in. What did you use to sand everything down? What primer and paint? Because it's not a show-bike, I was thinking of taking my time with a rattle-can, just to blend it in. Not looking for showroom quality, I just want to get rid of the eye-sore.

Slim, u will have to take all of your panels apart. U will need to get a wax and grease remover to take all of the wax, polish, and grease off first. U will need an epoxy filler...I will include pics of what I used...Do not and I repeat do not sand the plastic down to bare plastic...the companies who made the plastics use a chemical in the molds that causes the plastics to release...if u get down to this level of plastic u will have other technical problems with painting that u don't want to deal with (don't ask me how I know:laugh:)...Once u expoxy fill the gouges and stuff..u will need to use appro...finer and finer grades as u sand the expoxy filler down to a smooth surface. U need to speak to knowledgable people who have access to products u can get in Japan. U can create huge problems for yourself when u get the wrong types of paints that are non-compatible...for example...using a spray can caused me untold expenses and heartaches due to the cans spitting extra paint out...one thing that u should always remember...paints are not only paints...they are also solvents...so if u use the wrong rattle can paint with a color coat and they aren't compatible....eeggaaddss...u are in the pooper. So, for example, a color coat can act as a solvent and react with extra bit of "spitter" from the rattle can and cause your color coat to look like hell... Clear coats are also important as to their compatibility...
I knew nothing about painting before my road rash...but I have a buddy who painted 3 bikes and there were still big problems with technical issues...but perserverence is important. I have seen guys rattle can whole bikes and to tell u the truth...wasn't bad at all...
Main thing Slim...don't be afraid...and ask lots of questions...try and get hooked up with someone on the base who has painted before. I used Dupont Jet Black mixed with a red pearl...and House of Kolor Candy Apple Red...and Duponts Clear coat....
Also...if u take your bike apart for painting...get sandwhich baggies and label them with a magic marker exactly where they came from...for example there are two small panels that surround your instrument guages...there is two plastic rivets and one metal bolt w/ a shoulder....u need to be exact ...don't mix a bunch of parts together and label them with something like parts left side....because they have different positions...
I used 320 grit for rough sanding, 600 grit, 1000 grit, 2000 grit, and 2500 grit. After u spray a coat on....wet sand it with 2000 grit and not much pressure with your hand...and then add another coat of primer until everything is covered and smooth as a baby's bottom....at that point u need to decide who or how to color and clear coat it...might be able to get someone on the base to do it...but remember u need a spray booth...I made my own in the garage...or cough up some money to get a pro to do it....or ....or .....rattle can a color coat on it and see if they make a rattle can with some sort of clear coat...u will need 3-4 coats of clear before u think about finish sanding it and buffing out any of the imperfections...it is amazing what u can do with a little sand paper and cutting cream ( a toothpaste like polishing creame)

Good luck and I will check the bar ends in the morning..and shipping...alan

bike final clear coat 1st group done 03-23-10 003.jpg

Back