Frame Sliders Installed

drlucian

Registered
I installed the www.58cycle.com polished super-sliders ($64.95 on Ebay) recently.

Never took the fairing off before so I had to learn to do that without damage. Incredibly difficult and frightening at first but pretty easy after you've done it five or six times.

First, the drivers seat has to be removed, the front tank bolts removed and the tank has to be propped up. There are 9 4mm hex bolts holding in each side plus a plastic rivet and a plastic "hook" on the inner black plastic part of the fairing. You have to "unhook the hook" as the manual says (just pull up on it). I used a plastic knife to pry the plastic rivet out without danaging it The trick is to removing and reinstalling is to bend the plastic a little where it meets the front cowling so that the tabs can first clear and then disengage or interlock with the opposing fairing. The side fairing interlocks with front cowling. Using a cordless screwdriver with a 4mm hex bit makes taking off the bolts quicker.

slider_and_bolts.JPG

I used the Play Doh method to mark the left hole pilot hole location. The Play Doh was 97cents at Walmart. For the other side, I marked the right hole with paint on the extended frame bolt, then reinstalled the fairing and slapped it over the bolt. This made a small star-shaped crack in the fairing that was cut out by my hole bit (no pictures of the right installation steps).

play_doh.JPG

The Play Doh impression on the inside of the left fairing. I tried the first technique (Paint) four or fives time without being able to get a readable mark until I finally went and bought the Play Doh. I pulled off the insulation in the area of the hole on the left, it wasn't necessary on the right. That's how I got to put the fainrg on and off six times.

play_doh_imp.JPG

The pilot hole (for the 2inch drill bit) in left fairing, protected by blue masking tape. I drilled through the center of the bolt impression in the play doh.

pilot_hole_maskng_tape.JPG

The hole partially cut through the left fairing. I used a weak cordless drill and it went very slowly. I've read that there is a danger of melting the plastic if the drill cuts through too fast.

fairing_hole_partial_cut.JPG

The left hole from the outside. I cleaned up the edges with a dremel tool and applied some nail polish to prevent chipping as rhythm suggested (thanks for the tip).

slider_hole_L_outside.JPG

I used neoprene coated washers when I replaced the fairing bolts to protect the paint. 30 cents each frm Ace hardware.

fairing_bolts_rubber_washers.JPG

The left slider installed. These "super" sliders are about an inch longer than the standard ones that 58cycle offers. The left is longer than the right to make them look symmetrical when mounted.

left_slider_installed.JPG

Back