Just did my first AFF jump!

Busaman5000

Donating Member
Registered
Wow what an amazing experience! The more I think about it the more incredible it becomes....

I did my first Accelerated Free Fall at Carolina Skydive today after weeks of rain delays. I was pretty nervous on the plane but once I got into free fall it was amazing. It was kind of a sensory overload though as a lot of stuff I am just now beginning to remember.

Everything went pretty smooth except I got kinda confused for a little while when it was time to pull. I also landed on my tail bone pretty hard which hurts pretty bad right now all because I failed to do a PLF. I hope I didn't break anything.

My instructors name was Judy she said I did great on my arching I stayed pretty stable for most of the time.

The canopy ride on the way down was a blast! Its much more fun solo then it is on a tandem ride. I highly recommend it.:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Congratulations.

Welcome to the caterpillar club.

Get ready to be broke all the time. It's as bad as the 'busa. There's always something else to buy.

We have another sky diver :cheerleader:

That makes how many flying squirrels we have logging in now???

sounds like fun

oh it was! I wish now I had got pictures and video.

Congratulations.

Welcome to the caterpillar club.

Get ready to be broke all the time. It's as bad as the 'busa. There's always something else to buy.

Thanks! Whats the caterpillar club?

I plan on doing AFF soon, perhaps towards end of Summer. I will make that my first jump, no tandem for me. It's worth the extra classroom time to do it solo, at least for the most part. For your AFF, your instructor was holding on until chute release, right?

I plan on doing AFF soon, perhaps towards end of Summer. I will make that my first jump, no tandem for me. It's worth the extra classroom time to do it solo, at least for the most part. For your AFF, your instructor was holding on until chute release, right?

Awesome! Yeah I had two instructors one holding on to each side and they don't let go until the chute is pulled.

Awesome! Yeah I had two instructors one holding on to each side and they don't let go until the chute is pulled.

I got more questions! :rofl:

How much are they going to charge you for the entire cert program? Or do you plan on doing that? Skydive City here in Florida has the complete program for $1200, which sounds like a good deal.

I'm not looking forward to buying my own equipment though. $$$$$$ :laugh:

PLF? did you jump a round canopy? oh and congrats!! welcome to a new addiction..

I got more questions! :rofl:

How much are they going to charge you for the entire cert program? Or do you plan on doing that? Skydive City here in Florida has the complete program for $1200, which sounds like a good deal.

I'm not looking forward to buying my own equipment though. $$$$$$ :laugh:

I paid for the entire cert up since its cheaper than paying individually front which made it about $1300. So $1200 sounds like a good deal to me.

I did my first Accelerated Free Fall at

Is that the jump where they strap a JATO bottle to your back, trying to drive you supersonic straight down?

You haven't lived until you try it!

Jato Bottles-u.jpg

C-130T_Hercules_Blue_Angels.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats! Did my first tandem jump a couple weeks ago and it was amazing.

OUTSTANDING, CONGRATS on making your first skydive! One heck of a rush, isn't it? I'm always tickled pink to hear of someone else making a skydive. From my first jump in 1991 I've been hooked, and 2500 later I still love it. Included in those 2500:

- Several exotic aircraft, to include a 727 Jet, DC9, C130 (chunked an 18 way off the back deck once); 800+ Blackhawk Helicopter and 4 Chinook Jumps; Super Connie, DC3, bunch of other stuff...

- High Altitude (21K with oxygen)(COLD)

- World Record Attempts in 2000 (300 was the goal - didn't get it but unfreakingbeliveable!)

- My wife (who fell out of the sky and landed at my feet - Literally)

The list goes on and on. This may be heresy, but If I could only do one thing, jump or ride, I'd jump.

Now, go join USPA, start reading the magazine, and ride to the DZ to hang out. Once you've tasted flight, you can never forget it!

By the way, did you AFF instructor tell you that you owe BEER. See, in skydiving, a first in ANYTHING is a BEER debt, and today you had a bunch of firsts.

Oh, and gear: Buy your first rig USED as you will want to downsize after making a few hundred anyway.

P.S. Did you also forget the part about how to FLARE? You can land just like stepping off a chair (unless they wanted you to do a PLF - and if you hurt you probably did it wrong).

Vonderbach, Skydive City (most skydivers call it "Z-hills") is a great drop zone, one of the few full-time DZ's in the country. Been there several times - you'll get spoiled jumping out of Twin Otters or their Skyvan.

YEEEHAW

Pics of my nephew's first tandem, last fall. Sunset.

Tandem34.jpg

Tandem82.jpg

The feeling of falling is better than most. It is one of those life changing experiences.

Except that I've never felt a 'falling sensation' once out the door. There is always a feeling of weight. Think of it this way; stick your hand out the car window at 100 MPH (or, just ride your bike). There is always wind pressure. Now take that wind pressure and put it directly beneath you - it gives you a feeling of weight, not weightlessness (like inside the airplane if it drops suddenly). The forward airspeed of the jump plane transitions into freefall speed as you leave the aircraft. A common falacy is that you will feel like you are falling - for me, it's more like flying in a high wind. You don't really get ground rush until under about 3000 feet...then it's time to do something about it...

Have done both, I think skydiving is safer than riding. In the air, you only have to worry about you and the other jumpers on the load (leaving out the airplane part). On the road, you have to worry about the road conditions, animals and every other vehicle on the road. However, when something does go wrong, it's usually pretty bad...

Back