Chrome delete?

I think in one of the Moore Mafia videos they took it off and painted it...

If you were thinking of going with a bit of a theme, you could paint the chrome strip to match that...?

It doesn't fit my new paint scheme, I'm having it painted over, but my painter said that this plastic chrome is not a good candidate for paint application.

It'll either stick, or it won't. If it doesn't then I have to find another alternative like dipping. It will have to match the new color though.

i'm trying though, all the parts are at the paint shop now. I guess we will find out.

I think Dean, Wolfman, up in Alberta is going to have his turned into black chrome.

:thumbsup:

PS I will add though that after paint, and a 45 day wait, I'm going to clear vinyl all the painted surfaces which may protect it longer.

It doesn't fit my new paint scheme, I'm having it painted over, but my painter said that this plastic chrome is not a good candidate for paint application.

It'll either stick, or it won't. If it doesn't then I have to find another alternative like dipping. It will have to match the new color though.

i'm trying though, all the parts are at the paint shop now. I guess we will find out.

I think Dean, Wolfman, up in Alberta is going to have his turned into black chrome.

:thumbsup:

PS I will add though that after paint, and a 45 day wait, I'm going to clear vinyl all the painted surfaces which may protect it longer.
Maybe the chrome will need to be media blasted to remove the plating from the plastic and then it could be painted like any other plastic.

Wrap it
721FB14D-94B4-4D33-89CD-062FDD910296.jpeg

That is a bad @ss build. :super:

Yes exactly, I'm going to wrap the entire bike in clear vinyl. Quality stuff so it'll last. The chrome piece?. We will see.

I figured the only real options would be to plasti-dip it or wrap it, but I haven’t had experience doing either. I would probably be just looking to black it out on my white bike. It’s funny because I had a hard time choosing which color I wanted, but between the three colors, I really didn’t feel like the chrome accent helped any of them…..

I figured the only real options would be to plasti-dip it or wrap it, but I haven’t had experience doing either. I would probably be just looking to black it out on my white bike. It’s funny because I had a hard time choosing which color I wanted, but between the three colors, I really didn’t feel like the chrome accent helped any of them…..
That chrome would be one of the first things to go if I had one too...

The pic I posted is wrapped chrome. I would paint the orange pieces if I wanted a different color.
That's exactly what I did. I took all the copper pieces and painted them matte black, then I'm painting the rest of the body a different color entirely. Fell out of love when I realized that you just can't do much but murder the bike out, and Moore beat me to it, so I went a completely different direction. You guys should know in about two months.

PS I thought that chrome piece almost felt like an afterthought.

That's exactly what I did. I took all the copper pieces and painted them matte black, then I'm painting the rest of the body a different color entirely. Fell out of love when I realized that you just can't do much but murder the bike out, and Moore beat me to it, so I went a completely different direction. You guys should know in about two months.

PS I thought that chrome piece almost felt like an afterthought.
Post up pics when you get it done. Agree on the chrome. It's the only significant piece of chrome on the bike. On a bike that shouldn't have chrome. Definitely an afterthought.

One of the anodized rattle can colors might look really cool right over the top. No sand, no primer, no base coat. You alreay have the chrome and that will provide the best base. I know a lot of people will say you have to prep a surface before you paint but on a bike kept inside 99% of the time, I've had good luck with only washing followed up with an alcohol prep. They do make colored chrome vinyl too, come to think of it. Looks good. I have some blue. It's not as easy to apply as rattle can but I'm sure it;s a lot more durable and colorfast.

Yes exactly, I'm going to wrap the entire bike in clear vinyl. Quality stuff so it'll last. The chrome piece?. We will see.
I had white vinyl stripes on a bike for ten years and it's like new except it started letting go of the gas tank under the seat where the stripes end. Otherwise, it's like new. It wasn't anything special in terms of material. I think it was rated for 3 years. Definitely not 10. Even the 3/16" vinyl stripes I put on my wheels lasted a couple tire changes with tire irons.

One of the anodized rattle can colors might look really cool right over the top. No sand, no primer, no base coat. You alreay have the chrome and that will provide the best base. I know a lot of people will say you have to prep a surface before you paint but on a bike kept inside 99% of the time, I've had good luck with only washing followed up with an alcohol prep. They do make colored chrome vinyl too, come to think of it. Looks good. I have some blue. It's not as easy to apply as rattle can but I'm sure it;s a lot more durable and colorfast.
Hmmmm
Sounds like a side job for an art guy.
You know anybody??
Hydrodipping is a great small business too.
Probably end up with work from here, word of mouth, a webpage, could easily become part time turned full time.
Big money in vinyl wrapping too.
Alot of bike parts are small and easily shipped too.
Alot of people in this country can't just drive a few miles and get this stuff done either.
They're looking for somebody trustworthy online, like the org.
You can hydrodip with minimal equipment and resourses too, just like rattlecan skill.
Try some parts on that busted zx14.
Use your skills in a new direction.
I think you have lots of options...

Back