How Many Pilots Do We Have On The Org?

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Well, here we go again. I have another thing I want to do. Will be another year before I start, but I am going to pursue a private pilots license. Where I live, and where I could go would be the ultimate commute style and I have been wanting to fly since I was young.
Up to this point, I never had the time nor the resources to be able to do it, but I will be able soon. I have few friends that also fly and once acquired, I will be able to get from the bay area to my house in a couple of hours versus 6+ and avoid all of this bay traffic. Fly to Vegas, Tahoe, Mammoth, where ever. Cant wait to get started.
So, anyone else on the org fly?

I fly to put bread on the table, and bikes in the garage! Been a while since I flew for recreation.
I will say, make damn sure u have set aside the money it will take to get ur rating/s, and even more importantly, the time. Dont try to do it an hour or two a week. U just rehash the same chit every week and waste tons of time and money.
Carefull getting sucked into the whole "it will save so much time commuting" theme. Got to remember the weather never cooperates! And u need to drive to the airport, preflight, fly, drive to job site, etc... U know how fog is in the bay area. Be very carefull.
That being said, it is def a kick in the D! I also have my commercial seaplane and commercial glider ratings for fun! Although I have not used them in many moons.
Flying 250 pax around the planet in an Airbus actually gets old!
Let me know if u need anything at all.
Troy

I know a guy that used to post here, only see him now when we all converge on the NC/TN mountains and he lets me ride his expensive toys, insists that I do... :banana:

He's a pilot now, been really cool watching him go through the process. Totally NOT for me, but I know Omar's interested as well.

I did this back around 2000. I decided it was time to fly and took a summer and got my private pilot license. I never got instrument rated, but did a good bit of rental time after I got my license. It's an expensive hobby and I came to the realization that I wanted to have "done that" more than keep doing that. It's a ton of fun, just tough to talk to the big boys for flight following when you are VFR in a 172. Enjoy!

I fly to put bread on the table, and bikes in the garage! Been a while since I flew for recreation.
I will say, make damn sure u have set aside the money it will take to get ur rating/s, and even more importantly, the time. Dont try to do it an hour or two a week. U just rehash the same chit every week and waste tons of time and money.
Carefull getting sucked into the whole "it will save so much time commuting" theme. Got to remember the weather never cooperates! And u need to drive to the airport, preflight, fly, drive to job site, etc... U know how fog is in the bay area. Be very carefull.
That being said, it is def a kick in the D! I also have my commercial seaplane and commercial glider ratings for fun! Although I have not used them in many moons.
Flying 250 pax around the planet in an Airbus actually gets old!
Let me know if u need anything at all.
Troy

Thank you Troy. I will have the money set aside and will do it a quickly as pace allows. I didnt mean to imply that I would be commuting to work, I just meant going places I would otherwise have to drive many hours to get to.

I did this back around 2000. I decided it was time to fly and took a summer and got my private pilot license. I never got instrument rated, but did a good bit of rental time after I got my license. It's an expensive hobby and I came to the realization that I wanted to have "done that" more than keep doing that. It's a ton of fun, just tough to talk to the big boys for flight following when you are VFR in a 172. Enjoy!

I get it, you almost had IFR, thinking about a Mooney, will see.

A Mooney is fast airplane for the price you pay. You'll have a ton of fun learning. I went after work two or three times a week over a summer and had it done.

A Mooney is fast airplane for the price you pay. You'll have a ton of fun learning. I went after work two or three times a week over a summer and had it done.

That is my plan, I will be living within a few miles of the airport where the flight school is located. Cant wait to get started.

Been a minute since I have, but started my career as an Army aviator. Rotary not fixed wing, though.

CFII here, but haven't instructed in about 10 years. I do keep it current though, otherwise I would have to take the CFI check ride again, which no one wants to do.

My wife is a private pilot, and we own two SMALL aircraft (taildraggers).

You know what makes an airplane fly? MONEY! If you have the cash to do it for fun, do it, but recognize up front that there will never be a pay off. Between annuals, insurance, hangers and maintenance, it gets expensive. If you think you'll save time, weather will be your enemy unless you get a Instrument license, and even then it would be smart to stay on the ground if the conditions are IFR. We have found that, even though the travel is about 2x as fast as driving, all the work you do to get into the air, along with the randomness of weather which may keep you grounded anywhere in the flight path (or return) makes it economically unviable. However, if you are just going to go out on sunny days and put around, its a lot of fun.

I have about 20 hours, and I could probably take off, and maybe land without killing anyone or destroying the airplane, I found I'd much rather JUMP than fly :)

My wife is a private pilot, and we own two SMALL aircraft (taildraggers).

You know what makes an airplane fly? MONEY! If you have the cash to do it for fun, do it, but recognize up front that there will never be a pay off. Between annuals, insurance, hangers and maintenance, it gets expensive. If you think you'll save time, weather will be your enemy unless you get a Instrument license, and even then it would be smart to stay on the ground if the conditions are IFR. We have found that, even though the travel is about 2x as fast as driving, all the work you do to get into the air, along with the randomness of weather which may keep you grounded anywhere in the flight path (or return) makes it economically unviable. However, if you are just going to go out on sunny days and put around, its a lot of fun.

I have about 20 hours, and I could probably take off, and maybe land without killing anyone or destroying the airplane, I found I'd much rather JUMP than fly :)

Cant argue any of that, once I get serious enough about it to be ready to schedule my classes I plan to really put the numbers together. I have also looked at rentals but dont know how this translates to costs on a monthly basis.

Back