My review after 950 miles on my first busa

I think your problem is that you haven't had your first bad wreck yet. Once that over confidence turns into a bad case of "woops I just busted my ass and totaled my bike" you will come off that quick.

Over confidence will get you hurt if not killed. You own the fastest street legal motorcycle in the world, if we are talking straight from the show room. Like the others said, if you truly have a deathwish of some sort, then go find a ballistic rocket to strap your ass on.

This thread is why we have so many motorcycle accidents. Noobs that think they have a "handle" on the power. You don't have a handle on anything, trust me.

Why are you calling me a noob? I have ridden bikes for years. There is nothing wrong with overconfidence, arrogance is a different story. I have had my bad wrecks during motocross already.

omgeeee, i owned a 12 sec corvette.. i need more power.....

comments like that just ruin your credibility in my eyes.

umm, upgrade tires and try launching.. if you're not scared wait till you have real traction and try to cut real 60/fts. Anyone can do highway pulls (i can them "road dynos")

what tires do you recommend upgrading to for better 6o/fts?

Not trying to be a spoil sport -

But how old are you and how many bikes have you owned that would even come close to the power of the Busa?

How many years of experience on motorcycles with your Motorcycle endorsement?

Please be careful.

I had my motorcycle endorsement license since I was 17, I am now 23. I have been riding motorcross since 13. So ten years of riding experience so far.

This is not really a fair comparison but my CRF450 motorcross bike is the closest thing to compare to the busa, that thing a ton of power. The busa murders the 450 on high rpm but the 450 had nasty power from low-mid range.

No mention of any gear here. I hope to god there is gear being used.... all of it too:rulez:

Of course I wear gear, have been since I started riding long ago

I see a crash in your near future if you think the Busa needs more power.

Since when does saying a bike does not have enough power means a near crash in the future? There are plenty of people who turbo/NOS/ fully built their busas, are you saying there is a near crash in their future because they feel the stock power is not enough?

I had a similar feeling when I bought my Busa. At first, the power is insane. Then after a while you know what to expect and finally get comfortable with it.
I don't think getting a turbo is the best idea unless you plan on Dragracing.
I too thought my Vette was fast. Until I met the Busa. Comparing a Vette or a Mustang to a Busa is like comparing an 18 Speed Mongoose to an F-18:laugh: A few weeks ago I ran into a Murcealago and he was pretty surprised when I left him behind.

Awesome, one person agrees with me so far :beerchug: lol

I could see how you could get used to the power if your riding style is to just open it up on a strait road. Learning to use all the power on curvey roads is where the fun is at imo. Good luck and be safe.

I want to learn how to go in the corners, because I know that is where the real fun is at!

23 huh? I remember that age. No one is against you, we are trying to talk some sense into you. And news flash, I raced professional AMA supercross and motocross with Jeremy Mcgrath. Dirt bikes and a 200 HP street bike are WAY different, the laws of physics are so different it isn't funny.

Overconfidence = death on the street. There is confidence and then their is stupidity. You have your whole life ahead of you and if you are out on the street acting like a doofus on a streetbike, then you don't have a lot of sense to begin with.

A busa is made for the street unless you make it a race bike. If you want to race, then do it on the track.

The guys that put turbos on their bikes for the street are wasting their time. There is no way you will use that kind of power on the street unless you want to die, lose your bike and license, or go away to the iron bar hotel for a long time.

Reality hurts, what did you expect when you posted something like that? Why would you want a bike that had so much power you couldn't handle it? What would that do for you?

You suffer from small man syndrome. You want to be a big shot in front of your buddies and say "I have the fastest machine in the world". That might make you a big man to your friends, but you know what it does for your family when you die? Your friends won't be there, your mom and dad will and that turbo and badass bike will be the least of the thoughts.

Grow up.

Nobody is questioning your stones, I believe that most of the people posting are giving you sound advise because they are concerned that you will exceed your ability and get hurt. Keep in mind that allot of us have far more seat time on Superbikes and Hyperbikes than you.

i agree 100 percent im now 19 my busa was my second bike first was an 91 gex1100r i also had BALLS of steel also but ive learn to respect the power of the busa. its way tomuch for the street ilike it for the comfort and syling and to know in the back of my head i could beat anything that pulled up next to me. RESPECT the busa or its claws and furious beak will haunt u and the onle reason for any power adds is for off road use only u wouldnt beable to put it to the road anyway i know 300hp bike at the strip that still cant put it to the ground at a drag strip all i can say is RESPECT THE BUSA:bowdown:

23 huh? I remember that age. No one is against you, we are trying to talk some sense into you. And news flash, I raced professional AMA supercross and motocross with Jeremy Mcgrath. Dirt bikes and a 200 HP street bike are WAY different, the laws of physics are so different it isn't funny.

Overconfidence = death on the street. There is confidence and then their is stupidity. You have your whole life ahead of you and if you are out on the street acting like a doofus on a streetbike, then you don't have a lot of sense to begin with.

A busa is made for the street unless you make it a race bike. If you want to race, then do it on the track.

The guys that put turbos on their bikes for the street are wasting their time. There is no way you will use that kind of power on the street unless you want to die, lose your bike and license, or go away to the iron bar hotel for a long time.

Reality hurts, what did you expect when you posted something like that? Why would you want a bike that had so much power you couldn't handle it? What would that do for you?

You suffer from small man syndrome. You want to be a big shot in front of your buddies and say "I have the fastest machine in the world". That might make you a big man to your friends, but you know what it does for your family when you die? Your friends won't be there, your mom and dad will and that turbo and badass bike will be the least of the thoughts.

Grow up.

Very Well put.

Alot of people here have more time on the seat than this young person has been alive. Some of us more than that.

We want you to enjoy the bike and we want you to enjoy the bikes that you have in your future. And you are a young person, and have alot of future left in front of you.

Overconfidence no matter how you slice it still equals lack of experience/skill.

A dirt bike and a street bike mechanically operate the same (can you operate a motorcycle.... based on your experience the answer is yes). But they do not make a 197 HP dirt bike, can you jump on a dirt bike, (yes you can) but in order to be an effective and skilled street bike rider both pieces of rubber have to be in contact with the pavement.

Good luck and God speed.

It may seem like some of the guys are being a little harsh on you but we all here really do have your best interests in mind. Congrats on the new Busa and be safe.:thumbsup:

Grow up.

It's hard for me to suffer from small man syndrome when I am almost seven feet tall. I am not here to prove anything to you guys, or to any of my friends, or to myself to be honest with you. I simply like to go fast, is there something wrong with that? I value my life and had my share of close calls. Why do you keep thinking that I have a death wish? Sorry I completely disagree with you, overconfidence is a great attribute and pushes me to be better at every aspect of my life. Having ego is completely different, that is what makes one vulnerable to making stupid choices. That is something I do not have.

hahahahahahahah ur funny everyone posting to this thread is tryin to save ur life once u go down or see somone go down ull change ur mind im 19 and put 15k on my bike 25k in total of riding. ur making urself look like a kid grow up. ur the kind of kid that gives us a bad name in the sportbike world and our insurance half insurances wouldnt even consider me to insure i have a clean record but ur stupidity it why they have so many death claims on sportbikes in general and its sad this is coming from an 19 year old

hahahahahahahah ur funny everyone posting to this thread is tryin to save ur life once u go down or see somone go down ull change ur mind im 19 and put 15k on my bike 25k in total of riding. ur making urself look like a kid grow up. ur the kind of kid that gives us a bad name in the sportbike world and our insurance half insurances wouldnt even consider me to insure i have a clean record but ur stupidity it why they have so many death claims on sportbikes in general and its sad this is coming from an 19 year old

You talk like you know me boy, I also have a clean record and have been driving longer than you have.

but still u act like u arnt keep goin well see u in the classified section ok superman ok try to put 250hp to the ground on cold tires ok superman

You might want to go back to the dealer where you bought it from I think they gave you a lemon :laugh:
My 09 has tons of ballz

So you are 23 years old? Yep, you are young enough to know everything. :banghead:

Have you ever seen news reports where someone thought they had tamed a bear, lion, killer whale etc only to find themselves dead as soon as they turned their back?

Busa's do the same thing.

Take care

you have a desire to do well at things, that is a good personality trait, but don't fool yourself brother... overconfidence at 150mph can kill you. I think your verbage is throwing some people off here from what your trying to comunicate. Don't take everything as an attack on your character people are only comunicating to you what they have scene or expierienced over the years. I had a similar expierience when I bought my bike(08 busa). I learned that the folks at the dealership were making bets on how quickly I would crash my bike. It really pissed me off when i first heard about it but honestly given my riding expierence at the time... it was not a bad asumption.

do you need more power?

An easy way to get more acceleation out of her without doing HP mods would be gearing... allot of people do this to give the bike more grunt, you lose some top end does that matter to you?

Just because the bike doesn't scare the crap out of you when you go WOT as much as it used to doesn't nesesarliy mean you need more power. You mention you can't hammer 1st gear, maybe work on the chasis so the bike doesn't wheelie as bad. Some other food for thought... Ok so now the acceleration doesn't bother you at all, ask yourself how much control you really have on what is going on. Can you stop it on a dime? How do you feel when the rear gets loose? I'm sure your expierience on dirt is really accelerating your learning curve but just think about that just because it doesn't scare doesn't mean you have it mastered.

You said your near 7ft tall... how much you weigh?

My advice is to listen to some of these comments like it was your dad talking to you, who had been riding all his life on a powerful bike. We are here not to beat up on you but to help you see through our older eyes. These bikes are amazing machines and will bite back if too confident. When the bike feels week to you, take a week or two off and see if it feels good again.

Yes your experience is really good (on dirt bikes), But they don't make a dirt bike that will go 150 MPH in less than a mile - they don't even make a dirt bike that will go 150 MPH at all.

No one here want to attack you in any way - they do want you to live and be safe and run across you at Bike events.

If I remember correctly you have 5 years experience on a street bike keep that streak going.

Then ask yourself - How would you approach a person new to dirt bikes and the first thing he wants to do is a 50' jump after only riding the bike for a month or two?

There is a difference in stupidity and ignorance.

Ignorance - lack of education or knowledge. You can work with this, you can teach and educate. You can communicate and show things.

Stupidity - There is no cure for this. You do things and you know they are not the correct thing to do, (but you do them any way).

Point being if you already know it all, why bother asking any questions.

you have a desire to do well at things, that is a good personality trait, but don't fool yourself brother... overconfidence at 150mph can kill you. I think your verbage is throwing some people off here from what your trying to comunicate. Don't take everything as an attack on your character people are only comunicating to you what they have scene or expierienced over the years. I had a similar expierience when I bought my bike(08 busa). I learned that the folks at the dealership were making bets on how quickly I would crash my bike. It really pissed me off when i first heard about it but honestly given my riding expierence at the time... it was not a bad asumption.

do you need more power?

An easy way to get more acceleation out of her without doing HP mods would be gearing... allot of people do this to give the bike more grunt, you lose some top end does that matter to you?

Just because the bike doesn't scare the crap out of you when you go WOT as much as it used to doesn't nesesarliy mean you need more power. You mention you can't hammer 1st gear, maybe work on the chasis so the bike doesn't wheelie as bad. Some other food for thought... Ok so now the acceleration doesn't bother you at all, ask yourself how much control you really have on what is going on. Can you stop it on a dime? How do you feel when the rear gets loose? I'm sure your expierience on dirt is really accelerating your learning curve but just think about that just because it doesn't scare doesn't mean you have it mastered.

You said your near 7ft tall... how much you weigh?

This is the most honest post so far :beerchug:

Thank you very much for your input, because I think you're the only one who understands what I am trying to communicate.

Losing some top end does not matter at all! How much more grunt will doing the gears do for the bike?

I am 6'9" tall to be exact. I am 230 lbs

Then ask yourself - How would you approach a person new to dirt bikes and the first thing he wants to do is a 50' jump after only riding the bike for a month or two?

Sorry if this may sound like a backfire but if they have an incredible learning curve, then I see no reason why not. That is precisely how I learned with motocross., and that is how the true legends are usually born in motocross. No it was not a 50 ft tabletop, but I started at a 20 ft. One of the biggest adrenaline rushes of my life, and I quickly learned the larger tabletops afterwards. It's just I have a huge learning curve, but in no way do I think I "master" the beast. Because I know all too well (from moto experience) that the slightest thing can quickly turn disastrous.

Last edited:
This is the most honest post so far :beerchug:

Thank you very much for your input, because I think you're the only one who understands what I am trying to communicate.

Losing some top end does not matter at all! How much more grunt will doing the gears do for the bike?

I am 6'9" tall to be exact. I am 230 lbs

Sorry if this may sound like a backfire but if they have an incredible learning curve, then I see no reason why not. That is precisely how I learned with motocross., and that is how the true legends are usually born in motocross. No it was not a 50 ft tabletop, but I started at a 20 ft. One of the biggest adrenaline rushes of my life, and I quickly learned the larger tabletops afterwards. It's just I have a huge learning curve, but in no way do I think I "master" the beast. Because I know all too well (from moto experience) that the slightest thing can quickly turn disastrous.

This does not sound like a back fire actually you did a nice job of answering - You did not do a 50' jump first you did a 20' jump first.

A strong learning curve is an excellent attribute, but you don't run 150 MPH at first and hope for your strong learning curve - Once again there is not a dirt bike that runs 150 MPH. And an adjustment (even with the strongest learning curve) in steering at 150 MPH on the pavement is not even close to the same thing as an adjustment on a dirt bike - in the dirt - running 50-60 MPH.

Not trying to be harsh just want to see you survive.

Just about everyone on this forum rides a Hyperbike, they will tell you it is different from a dirt bike - and ask the riders on here, "How many of you have MASTERED the power of a Hayabusa?"

See how many riders answer yes and no / then ask the ones that say yes "How long did it take you?"

Good Luck hope all goes well for you and in about 5-6 years (if you live) you will be saying the same stuff to some young person who is new to Hyperbikes.

DevilDawg1
out

I'm 40 just turned.
Grew up on bikes and had my first at 7.
Numerous streetbikes.
Between me and my older bros bikes since 13 I have been going 150 plus in places I shouldnt.
I still respect the speed and power of these things.
Please do yourself a favor.
Spend an hour or so on Youtube.
Search 'motorcycle crashes'
It will sober you up and everytime I do I cant ride the next day.
Things happpen. I have run over dogs at 80mph, flipped and landed face first onto pavement.
I have been completely run over, chassis and all, right over me and bike on I95.
I have seen friends disappear in mirror and visited them in the hospital for months after.
And I still mourn for the 3 in the ground as a result of youthful vigor.

Its not all about speed and power, even with a Busa.
Sure we buy them cuz they can and I am one of the worst offenders so I aint gonna preach.
Just please give yourself time to get some yrs under your belt.
They will be some really nice 2030 Haybusas and I am sure you want to ride one !
Whether Heaven or a redlight bikes will get you there much quicker than you can stop.

For information on gearing I would search the site and/or start another thread. I don't have any first hand experience with that on my busa. I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket of my gsxr for a little while and it was definitely noticeable. Since you don't mind losing top end I would definitely research a little along this line. Sprockets are much much cheaper than a turbo or engine work.

Blanca's youtube advice is exactly what I do every time I feel like i'm the man of steel. I'll sit down and watch the bike crashes on youtube and for me it is quite sobering. Another thing would be to consider some track time. I was starting to think I had this motorcycling thing down pretty well until I witnessed what some real skill on a motorcycle looked like. Whether you’re working on your drag racing or road racing skills the experience will help you identify what exactly you need to learn.

For those of you saying a dirt bike isn't a fair comparison, it's clear you haven't ridden anything with a big bore. My CR500 is much scarier and difficult to control compared to the 'busa. Our busas are incredibly powerful, yes. But it's easily manageable. I rode dirt for awhile, stepped up to a CB550, put a couple thousand miles on that, and then bought my 02. After about 2000 miles on it, I'm at the same point as the original poster... a little more power won't hurt.

Face it, there are other more comfortable bikes to ride. We ride what we do because it's fast, period. When the thrill wears off, might as well bring it back, by making it faster, right?

Just realize what you're riding and it'll be fine.

Back