Windscreen Removal

BadWeather

Registered
How do you get this thing off. The service manual says to remove the screw and bolts. No problem with the screw but the bolt is captured in the rubber grommet and I cannot pull it through. Trying to install my new Powerbronze DB.

unscrew the screw and then pull the whole rubber grommet out. Remove windscreen install new one reinsert grommet and screws.
beerchug.gif

i was going to paint mine and i noticed it is pain in a@@%$# to get it off and i gave up. holly cow...
wowold.gif
why did they make that design so difficult!
wowold.gif

wowold.gif

You know it looked that simple but I pulled on that grommet like no tomorrow and was afraid I would rip it figured I must be doing something wrong.

You know it looked that simple but I pulled on that grommet like no tomorrow and was afraid I would rip it figured I must be doing something wrong.
i know why they design it like that: they want to make sure when you are going 186 miles per hour that thing will stay attached!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Just installed my Puig windscreen, boy was it a little tough and nerve racking. Trying not to scratch anything, and shove the new one in, whoa. Took me about 30 minutes in the Texas afternoon heat, uuhhh.

Just a bit of advice on the rubber gromets when I pull my windscreen on my Gen I, I put a little spray polish on the gromet for lubrication. Not to mention you can spray it on there while the gromets are still in place and it will not harm the paint. Just my 2 cents
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
hope it help someone out
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

beerchug.gif

thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

I just took off my stock windscreen on my 08 and put on the touring one (MUCH cleaner/smoother airflow).  It came with instructions.  You need to pop off the two INNER rivets (mine came out fairly easily with a small flathead screwdriver).  Then take out the bolts AND the entire rubber pinch grommet (it comes out fairly easily if you move it around a little).  After that it pops right out no problem.  Once I figured out that the pinch grommets had to come out all the way (not clear in the instructions), it was EASY.

How do you get this thing off.  The service manual says to remove the screw and bolts.  No problem with the screw but the bolt is captured in the rubber grommet and I cannot pull it through.  Trying to install my new Powerbronze DB.
Badweather,her's a tip on how to get those stupid rubber grommets out,remove screw and washer first,then insert a longer screw into rubber grommet(about 1.5" longer)just screw it in approx. 1/4",spray some silicone
or wd40 around& under grommet,then pull on screw(gently),you can also use the"Screw Method",for installing that "stupid rubber grommet"P.S. when you install new screen,make sure the holes line up perfectly,and spray the rubber grommet with a lubricant that evaporates(so you can tighten screw)

Just a bit of advice on the rubber gromets when I pull my windscreen on my Gen I, I put a little spray polish on the gromet for lubrication.  Not to mention you can spray it on there while the gromets are still in place and it will not harm the paint.  Just my 2 cents  
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif
 hope it help someone out  
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif
+1

beerchug.gif

thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

I just installed a powerbonze windscreen on my 08.
Just take your time at getting the rubber gromets out, work it back and forth while pulling and it will come.
The windscreen is a very tight fit also, just take your time being carful not to chip or crack anything.

just replaced mine and had the same problem, went to the dealer and was told to not take the screw all the way out just loosen it and then wiggle the plastic out. i went home and did exactly that and the rubber came right out.

Back