08Busa VS 07R1

Shane45

Registered
Well guys, I have to admit Im a little dissappointed. My brother and I are just about even in skill from a roll on. In other words we both shift well and accurately. I have an 08 Busa and he has an 07 R1. We rented a long private straight away for about 30 seconds because speeding on the street no matter how remote is illegal and stupid right :whistle: . Anyway, from second gear at about 30 to 165 indicated it might as well have been same rider, same bike. They were dead even! I really expected to pull away from him. Im thinking its just a matter of weight. Im guessing wet weight is 430 vs 560. He is 205 to my 245. My bike is bone stock. His has Akrapovic slip ons. Thats around 170 lbs to his advantage. A 150lb rider is probably going to walk me!!! :banghead: Now I have a Tsukigi Canon in the garage waiting for me to install it. Im sure that the weight savings will help a bit and it will probably pep it up some but... I guess I expected a little margin.

Not bad for having a 170 lb disadvantage. Also consider that the gear ratios are different for each bike in the same gear. The R1 has a lower gear ration and higher RPM range. You would need to be in 1st gear to be closer matched in the gearing. You can go +3 in the rear and that would get gearing closer between the bikes.

Apples to Oranges.

my wife and i pulled a way from a zx10 with a gp pipe. sometimes displacement is enough.

Save alot of money and add at least 5HP with a trip to your local "auto-zone", and buy one of those "NOS", or "Type R" stickers... Dont 4Get to post pics of your overhaul:thumbsup:

What?

???

your kidding...all the sh!tty,old, or abused bikes around here sport a ton or racing related stickers to make up for the bikes appearence. Kinda like this guy in town that got his 454SS truck smoked by some kid's Ram hemi, leading to the humiliating confession of posing his 92 V6 truck with a $2000 COSMETIC MAKEOVER...:rofl: can't believe you've never seen this???

Last edited:
Just like TruWrecks said, throw a little gear at it. Sprockets are IMO one of the simplest ways to add performance to a bike. Although you lose top end speed,you can really wake things up a bunch. How often do you really run 186 mph???then doing short sprints from one curve to the next,hitting 120-140 mph at best most of the time(didn't say where your from, so I hope you have afew twisties out your way:laugh:) I race both 1/8th & 1/4 on a genI thats up 4 on the rear & down 1 on the front and still have enough top end to hang it out with about anything for a mile a least, thats what it says on paper anyway:whistle:,and not to many LSR bikes pass thru here. Might cost around $280-300 to leave that R1 gasping for air and have to down shift to keep up during roll-ons :thumbsup:

Install your pipe, install a -1 tooth front sprocket, a TRE to remove the 6th gear top speed restriction and then a camera facing the rear to take pics of your brother following you on his R1. :whistle:

TruWrecks, I think you may be on the right track. I said to him that at that speed and RPM I would normaly still be in first... Maybe we need to redo but at maybe 60 in second.

Turbobusa2000, if I went out and bought an R1 that would increase the deficit wouldnt it. Heavyier rider, same bike = loss.

Steelkite that was the big victory from yesturday. 5 hours of riding is a big big change for me from previous 2 hour max on my GSXR. Thats the longest I have ridden post all the shinny titanium hardware in my spine :cheerleader:

S-R Racing twisties is no contest. I know he is on an R1 but I'm an old school rider on my 12th sport bike in 22 years that has always loved the twisties so even on the BUSA im long gone when the curves hit.

Dragonbusa yeah I know I can take him easily from the dig, thats why we dont. Im no expert drag racer, in fact not that good at it, always been a twisties guy but with that said Im a lot better than he is off the line so its not a bike contest its a rider contest.

I think I will get the pipe installed, hack that fuggin ugly mudflap off(I know thats the real issue) and look into sprockets perhaps. How heavy are the rims on the Busa. I know rims made a big diff on some buddies GSXR750's. Are they heavy on the BUSA? How much weight might be saved here?

Thanks guys!
Shane

Not bad for having a 170 lb disadvantage. Also consider that the gear ratios are different for each bike in the same gear. The R1 has a lower gear ration and higher RPM range. You would need to be in 1st gear to be closer matched in the gearing. You can go +3 in the rear and that would get gearing closer between the bikes.

Apples to Oranges.

Yeah but it aint Apples to Oranges, it's start to finish. And at the risk of sounding
like a broken record, this post emphisises my point.

I understand the merit of your gearing but...it shouldn't be necessary
(this kind of conversation shouldn't be necessary) We ride the "King" right?

You guys (speaking rhetorically) drink your kool-aid rave about the new "Gen II"
busa being all that then complain when you get pulled (or even) by a liter
that is redesigned every 2 years.

In '99+ this topic never existed, the Busa was king. Now with our decade overhaul
were talking about having to change sprockets:banghead:

Busa shoulda been 200+hp and the sprockets you have on there stock would
not be an issue, with the larger displacement we should walk liter bikes.

The next issue (or excuse we use) is weight. Well who's fault is that? Redesign
the frame and drop wieght (like they do with every new literbike design every
2YEARS).

You guys can be satisfied and drink the kool-aid and rave about the new
"GEN II" refurb and talk about regearing to race a bike that has 340cc less...
but "KING" were not. We were brought UP TO the level of the liters and the 14
the only thing we definitivly have over liters is...comfort. We say "oh yeah,
the new liter is just as fast but let them try rinding it for more than 2 hours."
(whatever) :rolleyes: Yet another EXCUSE.

Thanks Suzuki....I want to win in the comfort wars :banghead:

Justyntym I actually agree with what you have to say. My biggest problem is they have shrunk the liter bikes so much they shrunk me right off of em! I love the low weight! In fact I dont feel as comfortable going as fast on the Busa as I did my GSXR because of the weight. With that being said, there is a solid feel to the Busa as compared to the liter bikes that I am sure comes at the expense of weight. BUT I am certain that the liter bikes will edge past the BUSA in its present incarnation in the next couple years, maybe even sooner. Forgive my sacralidge but...thats my prediction. But as much as I'd like to get a Lotus Exige, my ass aint fitting in it!

Last edited:
I love you guys but come on, it's two basicly stock bikes having a little romp with each other and the busa has no real answer for the R1. This business of just do this or change the gearing or add NOS etc. just so you can smoke that R1? WTF? Do you have to cheat to compete? Just man up and admit the mighty busa is no longer the big heavy weight that over powers everything in it's path. All the liter bikes now give her a run for her money. And for the poor bloke that says he spanked a zx10 with his wife on the back? I say whatever you've been smokin is some good chit! Don't change brands! :poke:

Back