Oil plug.

Hectic

Registered
Hey guys and girls. I've been having an issue that I'd love some input on. Last Friday, I changed the oil in my 08. Everything seemed fine, so I took it for a short ride over to a local restaurant. After my sandwich, I came out to find an oil spot under my baby. I limped home and found a leak from my drain plug. Nothing major, but enough that I wouldnt want it on my tire. I pulled the plug, and ran some fresh oil through, and found metal for roughly 2-3 stripped threads from my oil pan. I've replaced it with a new plug and gasket, set it up on the stands with a piece of printer paper under it. 6 days later, not one drop on the paper. I can't afford to tap, helicoil or replacer oil pan just now, so, my question is: do you think it's safe to ride? Once it's time for another change, tires, or any other reason to pull it off the road, I'll toss on another pan. I just don't want to grenade my motor if I can avoid it ny staying out of the saddle for a few weeks.

Thanks, all.

The threads in the pan are ealily strippped. Invest in a torque wrench ASAP as it is much cheaper than a pan ($175). You most likely have stripped some threads on the pan.. I would add some RTV sealant and if wasn't leaking then you are probaly good to go until the next oil thread but I peraonally would replace it and/or insert a heli coil....an oil slicked tire will cost you way more than than a pan and prabably some personal bodily damage....Live and learn...They dont put torque specs in the manual to use up ink.

I have heard of a few stripping the oil drain plug, that's why i always use my craftsman micro-torque wrench, and torque it to about 14ft lbs. I know the torque recommendation is 16ft/lbs, but like to to a little light on the plug so i can be sure i won't strip it. I would say keep a very close eye on it the next few rides, if it doesn't leak one drop in the next hundred miles or so u should be safe. Chances are it just pulled a few threads out and is still gripping on the last remaining threads. I would imagine your next oil change though, it might strip completely? As long as u snugged it down pretty good and it's not leaking i think you'll be fine for now. If u barely snugged the plug down and it felt like it could turn a bit more, i would think about replacing the pan. Kind of the same risk as plugging our tires, some are fine with it and others would never even think about it:laugh:

All you have to do is bring the drain plug with you to autozone or advance auto store and go up one size repair drain plug. It has it's own tapped treads and will also tap the oil pan. Just put grease on it when you turn in in to make the new treads, turn back out and clean the new drain plug and run some clean oil through. It's very easy, had to do this on two bikes I have owned over the years. Best of all the new drain plugs are only a couple of dollars.???

All you have to do is bring the drain plug with you to autozone or advance auto store and go up one size repair drain plug. It has it's own tapped treads and will also tap the oil pan. Just put grease on it when you turn in in to make the new treads, turn back out and clean the new drain plug and run some clean oil through. It's very easy, had to do this on two bikes I have owned over the years. Best of all the new drain plugs are only a couple of dollars.???

Man, that fix would have me way too nervous to ride a 2 wheeled screamin banshee. It might be fine for a 4 wheeler but I would just spend the bucks to fix it right on bike. JMO.

Man, that fix would have me way too nervous to ride a 2 wheeled screamin banshee. It might be fine for a 4 wheeler but I would just spend the bucks to fix it right on bike. JMO.

Why it's just like tapping the oil pan and replacing with the correct size drain bolt. Being a mechanic for thirty years never had a problem and now a day's the auto stores make it a lot more easy for people that are not inclined to do so.

i had the same symptoms and it only got worse. i took the hit and replaced my pan and i now use my torque wrench for everything.

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll drop a new pan in my next change if I don't have any problems. All I needed was to hear "For the love of God, don't ride." I'll keep a close eye on it and hope I'm good for a few weeks. Thanks all!

After changing the oil on my bike I usually have a residual drop or two hanging around, which I attribute to the removal of the oil filter. The day after, all dry.

Why it's just like tapping the oil pan and replacing with the correct size drain bolt. Being a mechanic for thirty years never had a problem and now a day's the auto stores make it a lot more easy for people that are not inclined to do so.

It's not always that easy with a Busa...sometimes not only do the threads strip out, but the pan can crack. If you can get a over size plug and retap the hole...or put in a helicoil...it will hold fine.

For guys like me...I'm a mechanic...I will be ok with a repair. But a lot of guys won't take the chance...they would just rather replace the pan to be sure of no leaks.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would go for the new oversize drain plug first. It is easy and usually works. then you just baby it on torquing the plug down. If you strip the oversize, then you are putting way too much muscle into it!

Back