GenII coolant change

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
From reading the service manual it seems pretty straightforward.
Am curious if it is ?
In ref to the bleeding of air from the cooling circuit.
Any pitfalls or things one should look out for ?

When raising tank to access and loosen air bleeder bolt are there any things one should pay attn to ?

It says capacity is 2.9 quarts ?
Is this total and once drained nothing remains in engine ?

Cyclegear by me has this on sale.
Not really looking for the temp benefits.
I have done all needed to make bike ready to possibly start making passes in the future at the events in Miami.
All things are safety wired but the only reg I still need to meet is non glycol coolant.
So I thought since it was on sale I should get it while its there.

Any exp with this product will be most appreciated as well but I am really just making sure what seems to be a fairly easy process actually is.

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Water Wetter® Coolant Additives - SuperCool with WaterWetter®

super cool.JPG

Should be pretty easy job. If your worried about something, just read the manual, I'm sure there is a step by step.

Last edited:
:laugh::whistle: There will be a little bit of coolant left in the water jackets in your engine, but it should'nt affect anything. You don't have to buy anything fancy for your coolant. I use water wetter only for my track bike because they won't let you ride with antifreeze at the track. There's no change in temp with the waterwetter and if you end up in freezing weather, waterwetter can actually freeze (not in miami) in cold weather. Use regular coolant and make sure to purge the system while the bike is running, and check then double check the level. While the engine is running keep the fill cap craked half way open for the air to escape. As you're doing this, keep on squeezing the radiator hoses to get rid of the trapped air pockets. Good luck hope this helps.

Is there any harm in leaving the above stuff in there permanently ?

Since I have only one bike and it is a reg that I use non glycol based coolant I figured I would just change it and leave it in ?

Is there any harm in leaving the above stuff in there permanently ?

Since I have only one bike and it is a reg that I use non glycol based coolant I figured I would just change it and leave it in ?

Waterwetter? you should be fine just don't let the temp drop below 32 degrees. Use distilled water with your mixture instead of tap water so it won't corrode.

Yeah it's the premix that's on sale.
Like five bucks off .

Think I'll do it tomorrow .

Just wanting to make sure no special 'tricks' were needed that orgsters knew the manual doesn't !

I opted to go with Liquid Performance Racing Coolant (AMA approved). Even though it'll never see a track, I just wanted to insure that overheating won't be a problem cruisin' the beach.
After I drain whatever may be in there, gonna run some distilled water for a minute or so to get rid of whatever may be left.
Lotsa controversy over tap vs. distilled. Probably doesn't matter. I'm kinda old school, I like distilled.

Yeah it's the premix that's on sale.
Like five bucks off .

Think I'll do it tomorrow .

Just wanting to make sure no special 'tricks' were needed that orgsters knew the manual doesn't !

Gotcha, I don't own a GEN II so I'm no help with any "tricks". Good luck, let us know if you notice a difference in temps.

Well per the serv manual it says simply disconnect lower hose and drain.
My question is : Is this going to get it all out ?
I dont want to do this, bleed it and refill with new stuff only to see some of the oem green stuff mix in with it after I start the bike.
Once you remove the hose and drain is pretty much all of it out ?

Not worried about it freezin..EVER !

Again with 2 LSR events coming up here soon i am trying to be to the point where i will be able to maybe make a last min reg and run.
It still hurts a bit in my shoulder from the dislocation when I try to tuck all the way down and I am day to day.
Would hate to be good to go and not be tech ready !

I'll do it in a day or so and take a few shots along the way for a thread so anyone else may be able to avoid the mistakes I'm sure I'm gonna make.

Why I think one bottle will do but I am buying 2...:laugh:

If you're worried about the old coolant then you could always flush the system with distilled water first and then drain again. :thumbsup:

I dunno if it gets it all out but I removed my radiator when I did my exhaust. I went back with reg 50 50 with motul additive. Like water wetter. You could drain and fill with distilled and drain once more. Would really be all that difficult and you could be sure its all drained from valleys.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey, how about flushing your cooling system after draining your old coolant/antifreeze with some distilled water to get whatever may be in the cooling system out? :whistle:

It seems as mental as I am that unless I do that I won't sleep at night.
I don't think it that easy as just a flush as you have to go thru all steps same.
Bleeding of air, pumping hose for more air, rocking bike back and forth , and then raising tank and bleeding more air with bleeder bolt is what manual says.

so to be safe that I am safely flushing it and to get all the poss remaining coolant I will have to do this I believe.
One of those things I have not done so it scares me.
Once done I'm sure I'll look back and think it easy.

I (would) suggest a mild mix of Prestone Super Flush to clean out any 'gunk' that was added during assembly or in the less than year that you've owned. YES and distilled water flushes after the cleaner to ensure it all gets removed.

Then your new product.

IMO - a few heating and cooling cycles generally push the air out. After the system cools it pulls excess from your resi. Do that cycle a few times.

Cleaning the cooling system on such a new bike makes me feel good for years (as opposed to waiting years - because at that time I'm usually looking to start thinking of selling). just an idea / think you were asking.. UP TO YOU! (Yes, I've flushed one of my GenII's already)

Saiid, SteveO says that a little OEM coolant remaining in the system is not a bad thing. Not enough to keep the track guys from tossing you off, but a little A/F in the system helps to keep from freezing (not issue for you, but for me it is here in TN).

I'm about to go do mine right now (Drain but not flush), have been waiting for a good day. Premixed WW solves mixture/type of water issues. Service manual says capacity is 3.1 US Quarts....bottom line of page 0A-11....

Skydvr my question is :

Is there a diff in amount needed to put back in between a drain and flush ?

If not I'll just drain it and put the WW back in .

My concern is really there will be a cup of green left in there that will mix with my new pretty pink and look yoooogly !

Want to start with an as empty system as possible is all .

So will a drain get it all out ?

PM you now. Never mind posting is better.

I notice the difference in amounts. One includes draining the holding tank, which, after getting those #W)@# Fairings off (and yes, I broke one of the dang mounting points on the right side (gotta lift UP on that top one better!) is only one little hose that is easily removed.

I drained the holding tank too. The only sure way is to flush it, but from what Tufbusa tells me, having a little left doesn't hurt. I think it's a personal choice if you've got distilled water around.

When I changed my gixxer, I didn't flush it (no distilled water around) and yes, it looked "yoogly". Since you seem to be ready to flush, i'd flush it. Heck, since I've got it off, I might as well too. Gonna go get some distilled water real quick.

Question now becomes, how can I glue that @(*& mounting point back on with any hope of it staying on...JB Weld?

Last edited:
Back