DIY - Fender Eliminator K8+

KYT

Registered
I wanted to eliminate the stock shovel on my new K8, but I didn't want to destroy anything. I also didn't want to have to buy anything either.
I can't bring myself to purchase a $100+ piece of sheet metal pre-cut and bent just to hang my license plate.
So I made my own bracket using only parts from my ride.
I cut nothing, and everything can be put back exactly the way it came originally if needed.

For this you'll need a couple things:
The stand-offs from the front wheel reflectors
The brackets and hardware from the rear tail reflectors
The plate bracket on the stock shovel
10mm open end wrench
pliers/channel locks
Phillips screw driver

Take off the back seat/cowl, disconnect the white connector in the left side of the tail, that goes to the license plate light. Then take out the 4 bolts holding the shovel on. Pull the plastic down in the back right behind the tail lens, you'll see a cable tie on the left holding the license light wire in place. You'll have to cut the tie to get the the shovel off. Take the license plate bracket off and set it to the side with all its pieces.

medium.jpg

I found it was easiest to take the 2 push snap things on either side under the tail out first. The reflectors have 2 bolts, 2 nuts, and 2 washers on each bracket holding them in. The nuts are inside the tail, and you can't reach them with your hand from the rear seat area. Nuts are 10mm, bolts are phillips head. Separate the side plastics from the underside enough to get the wrench in there and hold the nut in place while you back the bolts out. Set the brackets and bits to the side. You won't need the reflector itself, or the little nut holding it to the bracket. Don't forget to put the snap things back.

Use the 10mm wrench to get the front wheel reflectors started/off. Again, don't need the reflectors, just the 2 stand-offs.

I took all my parts inside, and sat on the couch to play with them with out getting eaten by skeeters!
I turned the scoop upside down, and just used the holes as guides.
This is what I came up with:
medium.jpg

I highly recommend mounting your license plate to the bracket first! Just to line up the stand-offs, its a real pain once everything is together.
This works fine with a KY plate, if your state has a size that is more narrow, then this isn't going to work. But if its bigger, shouldn't be a problem unless its larger than the bracket.

The nuts that were holding the rear reflector brackets to the body happen to fit the ends of the stand-offs from the front. Use one of the washers from the license plate bracket, between the stand-off and the bracket, use a nut on the back. A washer under the nut isn't necessary, but if you have some extras, you can use them. To hold the plate to the stand-off, I used the little red reflector bolt things that came on the bike holding the temp tag on.
I know they are really cheap if you get them at autozone, so if you didn't get any with your bike, sorry. I did, so I used them. They just so happen to have the same size threads as the other reflectors! YAY
Used them to hold the plate to the stand-offs. Just finger tighten everything down, then use the pliers and the 10mm wrench to tighten the stand-off to the bracket. Then you can take the plate off until the end.

I put the 2 fairing bolts back in the tail closest to the rear lens. Just so I don't lose them. Put the other 2 in my tool box with all the other misc. bolts and pieces.

Use the longer silver phillips bolts from the license bracket to attach the rear reflectors to the underside of the tail in the holes from the 2 furthest shovel bolts.

Turn them so they curve towards the rear and point inwards.. don't know how else to explain it. use 2 of the black washers from the rear reflectors, on each bolt between the bracket and the plastic. There's a ridge on the inside that bracket will get raised over. Same for both sides.
medium.jpg

Then use the shorter reflector bracket bolts to attach the license plate bracket to the reflector brackets.

Should now look like this!
medium.jpg

Except your's will have the stand-offs on it if you opted to do that first as I suggested lol. If you did it'll look like this, if not, make it look like this:
medium.jpg

Looks like this with the plate on:
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

Now you may be wondering about clearance. I drove up and down the apt. complex street going over speed bumps. This was not fun, but I did it just for you! 15mph over a rough speed bump did not make the tire contact the plate at stock suspension settings. It does, however make my ass and feet leave the seat and pegs.
There was about an inch gap between the top of the plate and the underside of the tail. The plate also kinda angles inward.
medium.jpg

So I took the 2 bolts holding the whole setup to the tail out, don't lose the washers! Use your pliers and bend the brackets upwards just a little. Just a little brings the plate up almost an inch, and gives it about 15-20 degrees angle away from the tire.
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

Its not pointing outwards by any means, but unless the bike is lowered, or you've got a lot of human weight on it, I doubt the plate will touch the tire.
Though you can always bend those brackets some more if you like, or add an extra washer. The only thing I used that wasn't from Suzuki, was 2 washers I put between the plate and the stand-offs. I didn't like how it wiggled just a little. I just have 2 short bolts and 2 nuts left.

And there you have it! Nothing is cut and everything can be put back if needed. Thoughts and comments?

Good write up. This is pretty much the same thing I did but not really. I had an old autometer gauge holder that I cut in half and drilled out some holes in them.

Probably won't get my plate for few more weeks, I just borrowed that plate so I could line up the parts. When ever I get my plate I'll post up if I have any trouble with it or not.

Was trying to work out a way to use the license plate light.. but the distance between its posts wouldn't line up with anything I already had. Could fab another piece or something, but then that defeats the purpose.

There's a few more images in my gallery My Hayabusa Photo Gallery by Kyt at pbase.com
Pics for this project start on page 3, but you're all welcome to check out the others.
Forums only allows 10 images, I had 17.
Oh well..

Sticky worthy?? :whistle:

Looks good, but from my experience, you may need to reinforce the tag. I have already ripped one tag off the bike and the second one is all cracked out and ready to let go at any time. There is a lot of abuse put to the tag back there, and with only a small area to support it, the aluminum will give way eventually. Just something to consider.:beerchug:

Cool, thanks for the pics and the write up. :beerchug:

Looks good, but from my experience, you may need to reinforce the tag. I have already ripped one tag off the bike and the second one is all cracked out and ready to let go at any time. There is a lot of abuse put to the tag back there, and with only a small area to support it, the aluminum will give way eventually. Just something to consider.:beerchug:

Well I was scouting around looking for maybe some rubber washers so it has a little give and help with vibrations.
The only thing I found close was on the license light, there's what looks like rubber washers under the metal washers.. its a lie.
They are attached to the rubber backing for the light.
I could cut them off, but then that defeats the purpose of not cutting anything.

really the only thing that worries me the most, is the plate rubbing against the tail plastic and scratching it up. Might grab some sticky rubber bumper things from work and stick them to the plastic. If I ever had to take them off, I'd rather have to deal with sticky, than scratches.

Plate and registration is in.
Have to go pick it up sometime today or tomorrow.

:cheerleader:

Got my plate and put it on.
Couldn't find any black bumpers to help protect the plastic, so I backed out the 2 bolts directly behind the tail lens just a little.
The plate sits directly below them, so they can't fall out.
I backed them out just enough so that should the plate bounce or the tire hit it, it nails the bolt heads and not the tail plastics.
I had my wife watch the tire and plate to see how close they got while we were riding around.
Even over rail road tracks and regular road bumps, she said the tire never got even close to the plate.

I would assume the suspension is set to Suzuki spec, I haven't changed it since I got it.
Unless the mechanic didn't set it all right.

Looks good man, I would try that but I got a 30 tag bracket off of ebay and it did me just fine.

Great thought though, :thumbsup:

Any putting pics with it...:bowdown:

just did the mod and it looks great! now, i need to figure out how i can mount that license plate bulb. thanks again! :thumbsup:

just did the mod and it looks great! now, i need to figure out how i can mount that license plate bulb. thanks again! :thumbsup:

I was thinking about just getting an LED setup from superbrightleds.com
Maybe one of the little chrome or black housings with 3 LEDs in them.
But I haven't had any trouble with the local Fuzz about it, so I may not worry about it until someone makes me. :whistle:

i broke your rule of modding the tail and splurged on a $14.99 led license plate bar for cars at autozone. i was able to sit the bar on top of the plate and press it down to hold in place and secured with zipties. then i cut the oem line closer to the bulb and soldered my new light bar on. the only downer is the holes don't line up with the moto plate cause' it's designed for a car but i can live with that. :whistle: here are some snaps of the setup. yes, i know the posts to the plate are not level but i don't really care to be honest. thanks again for the mod. idea

20090610_10.jpg

20090610_11.jpg

20090610_12.jpg

Back