Speed Hut gauge install..

runeight

why ask why
Donating Member
Registered
This turned out to be quite the little evening project so lets get started..

Here is the stock gauge setup.

View attachment 1269979

Remove your inner panels and windscreen. Start removing the stock outside cover. I just used a small screwdriver and wedged around the entire area. Then, I just pulled it apart. Came off easy.

View attachment 1269980
View attachment 1269981
View attachment 1269982

Then remove the screws on the very back.

View attachment 1269983

Now for the fun. Basiclly I just slid everything over the stock face plates. Remove the screws (two per gauge) and work "left to right". If you don't do this in order then problems arise. Very carefully lift the needle and feed the face of the gauge over everything. You might need to move the needles to a different spot. I put the tach/speedo to the 12 o'clock position. Temp/fuel where you think it will work.

It's tight but a hint is to line up the "stops" in the gauge as close as you can get. Move slowly..very slowly. Now, I was not real happy with the fit but found out if you over tighten the temp/fuel the face will bend. The tach/speedo you need to crank them down pretty good. Have a good screw driver set and go slow. Check to make sure the needle moves freely and also the edge is as flush as can be.

Install the back piece watching the wires.

View attachment 1269984

Now I needed to install the gauge face plate I just had powder coated. I applied some two sided tape provided by our friend Mr. Bogus when you order magnets from him. This was a billet piece by the way.

View attachment 1269985

Snap it all together keeping everything even as you go.

View attachment 1269986

Now for part two..getting it wired up.

The inverter fits perfect between the fuse block and front fairing stay. It is upside down. Notice the brown bottom.

View attachment 1269987

The light controller fastened to the other side with adhesive backing supplied. You can reach your hand under the left inner fairing so as to adjust color/light. I just set it where I liked it.

View attachment 1269988

I used the extra wire found on USA models. (brown/black)Cut it and strip the leads a little. We are going to solder a wire from the inverter to the factory leads.

View attachment 1269989

Add some shrink wrap and solder away keeping in mind that your shrink wrap needs to slide over the wires.

View attachment 1269990
View attachment 1269991
View attachment 1269992

Next route wires behind the front fairing stay.

View attachment 1269993

Grab the gauges and plug in the four wires.

112_1255.jpg

Use some wire loom to keep things somewhat neat. I did not cover the connecters for future service work.

112_1256.jpg

Tuck in and tie off.

112_1257.jpg

Install the gauge assembly and test.

112_1258.jpg
112_1263.jpg

Install the wind screen and inner panels.

112_1262.jpg

Yeah..this works.

112_1261.jpg

Project done.

r8

Very nice!
bowdown.gif

A few pictures did not load but I'm to beat to screw with it. You get the idea I believe.

I wanted the reverse glow but could not get the black/white setup. This will do because I'm not doing it again.
winkold.gif

r8

Thanks guys. Will see how they work. There is not much room between the needles and the gauge faces.

Will see.

r8

Rider formerly known as Hogger, your Busa looks like a large piece of jewelry- tell the truth, do you ever RIDE it?!?
smile.gif

Nice job, that is one immaculate ride... nice touch of shibumi is that faceplate...

Thanks Semi. Here is a better shot of the blue.

With the inverter controller attached to the outside of the fuse block it is easily accessed under the left inner panel. Worked out better than planned. You can see it below on the left.

112_1264.jpg
112_1265.jpg

r8

I can not see the gauges for the gleam of those clutch and brake assy's.... You will need to remove them and send them to me.. you can then reshoot the photos and I think they will come through....

Thanks

laugh.gif
BTW 330 miles? you gotta be kidding me....

Wow that looks killer John, excellent write up..
beerchug.gif

A future mod for shore..
ThumbsUp.gif

I can not see the gauges for the gleam of those clutch and brake assy's....  You will need to remove them and send them to me.. you can then reshoot the photos and I think they will come through....

Thanks

laugh.gif
 BTW  330 miles?   you gotta be kidding me....
Will ship tomorrow.
winkold.gif

r8

Back