MY MAIN LIGHT IS DISCO BALLING !!

slaterider

Registered
AAAssjani.gif
Hi all

Please will some one assist me with my problem.
Got a 2002 Busa and having problems keeping my upper headlight buring after start.

Problem occurs when i start is switches off and if i start and get to keep it on, it usually stays on for about 3minutes before flickering off again.

Can somebody please assist?

Thanks

JS- Cape Town South Africa

How old is your battery,have you check the voltage using a volt meter on the positive and negative side of the battery? Try revving the motor paast 2k RPM with the bike in neutral, if the light comes back on you have a discharged or bad battery. A battery can discharge its self if it sets to long. If this happen your first step should be making sure the battery is fully charged @13.0v.

Let us know what you find out?

(Rhythm @ Aug. 29 2007,23:24) How old is your battery,have you check the voltage using a volt meter on the positive and negative side of the battery? Try revving the motor paast 2k RPM with the bike in neutral, if the light comes back on you have a discharged or bad battery. A battery can discharge its self if it sets to long. If this happen your first step should be making sure the battery is fully charged @13.0v.

Hi there...Thanks for the reply

My bikes starts well and dont usually have any problems in that area. I havent however done a volt test and as i mentioned earlier it comes on and stays on like a intermittend thing... usually will just switch off whilst i start riding... very frustrating..as its the better light than the brights option....

Is there not a control module that could be faulty? that isnt a usual vehicle globe.. before i forget to mention...i can hear a relay clicking when the ignition is switched on and when it kaks i hear it clicking off again...

Hope this info helps....

Ta again --JS

(slaterider @ Aug. 29 2007,23:41)
(Rhythm @ Aug. 29 2007,23:24) How old is your battery,have you check the voltage using a volt meter on the positive and negative side of the battery? Try revving the motor paast 2k RPM with the bike in neutral, if the light comes back on you have a discharged or bad battery. A battery can discharge its self if it sets to long. If this happen your first step should be making sure the battery is fully charged @13.0v.

My bikes starts well and dont usually have any problems in that area. I havent however done a volt test and as i mentioned earlier it comes on and stays on like a intermittend thing... usually will just switch off whilst i start riding... very frustrating..as its the better light than the brights option....

Is there not a control module that could be faulty? that isnt a usual vehicle globe.. before i forget to mention...i can hear a relay clicking when the ignition is switched on and when it kaks i hear it clicking off again...

Hope this info helps....

Ta again --JS
It sound like the switch itself is going bad, how many miles are on the bike?
My buddies 02's switch went bad a few months ago, it was all corrided. I took the switch out of the housing and cleaned the contacts, and use some dielectic grease and its worked fine since!

Hope this info helps....

Ta again --JS
Are you using a stock headlight or a HID? If your headlight is stock start with trouble shooting the area GIXERHP suggested.

(Rhythm @ Aug. 30 2007,00:22)

Hope this info helps....

Ta again --JS
Are you using a stock headlight or a HID? If your headlight is stock start with trouble shooting the area GIXERHP suggested.
Hey Guys

Do to think it could be the switch( Relay ). The globe is a stock one.. where do i find this switch....dont want to dismantle the bike to find it...

Dont know what a HID globe should look like but it does give a brilliant white light and when it works is very nice to ride with... all i can tell you is that the light i brilliant white and the actual globe is long.

Thanks again

Shot !!

Can you  take a picture of your globe (headlamp) and did you purchase the bike new or used? If you a have an HID light, I'm very sure your battery has weakend. The bike will start with no problem but the HID light will flicker instantly like a strobe light after you turn over the bike (start) or shorty after, eventually not work at all. Because at idle (anything below 2k rpm) the bike will only be relying on your battery output. Thats why I suggested revving your motor above 2k, allowing your generator to supply juice to your battery. See if that works and get back with us.

Bulb on the left is a stock halogen bulb and on the right is a HID (Hign Intense Discharge)
DSC01669.jpg

(Rhythm @ Aug. 30 2007,03:31) Can you  take a detail picture of you globe and did you purchase the bike new or used. If you a have an HID light, I'm very sure your battery has weakend. The bike will start with no problem but the HID light will flicker instantly after you turn over your bike (start) or shorty after, eventually not work at all. Because at idle (anything below 2k rpm) the bike will only be relying on your battery output. Thats why I suggested revving your motor above 2k, allowing your generator to supply juice to your battery. See if that works and get back with us.
Thanx Rhythm....

Will do ...as it does exactly what you have described.

I bought the bike 2nd hand and has 40000kms on the tick...but you wont believe the condition of the bike...i imagine a retired woman owned it first...absolutely prestine condition....

Going to get onto batt issues...think it could be the batt!!

How do i post a pic on this site of my ride?

Register with www.photobucket.com, use the browse button on photobucket.com to locate your photo on your computer, right click onto the photo and select open, then click upload on the photobucket site. It will take a rew second for the image to upload. Next click submit. Now the photo will be displayed in your photobucket ablum, next put your cursor over the IMG CODE link (number 4) and copy and paste the link into your message over here into your message, preferrably below at the bottom of your message.
Check your PM for detailed photos I sent you numbered with steps 1 tthough 4 on how to upload and download photos to this site.

You may also want to check the main light plug which is near you fuse box, I had the same problem and it turned out that one of the wires were shorting out...

It could just be the bulb itself, Broke filament. Then when you start it, the vibration could make it lose connection...Just an idea

(Big Tuna @ Sep. 02 2007,14:32)
As i mentioned earlier...it switches on when on ignition but it does behave asif the battery doesnt have enuf crank doing idle to keep it torched.

i can also hear the relay switchn it off probably caus it doesnt have enuf juice.

Where does my fuse box sit?

Should i be scratching around in there?

Thanks to all that are assisting me..
smile.gif

(Big Tuna @ Sep. 02 2007,14:32) It could just be the bulb itself, Broke filament. Then when you start it, the vibration could make it lose connection...Just an idea
As i mentioned earlier...it switches on when on ignition but it does behave asif the battery doesnt have enuf crank doing idle to keep it torched.

i can also hear the relay switchn it off probably caus it doesnt have enuf juice.

smile.gif

(slaterider @ Sep. 03 2007,07:41)
(Big Tuna @ Sep. 02 2007,14
zzwhip.gif
) It could just be the bulb itself, Broke filament. Then when you start it, the vibration could make it lose connection...Just an idea
As i mentioned earlier...it switches on when on  ignition but it does behave asif the battery doesnt have enuf crank doing idle to keep it torched.

i can also hear the relay switchn it off probably caus it doesnt have enuf juice..

smile.gif

Have you done what I suggested earlier, I'm sure this will resolve you problem. The fuse box is located beneath the black inner fairing below your clutch lever. You will have to remove the black trim piece that goes around your gauge cluster

Back