Windows VISTA, anyone heard anything good yet?

DNGrumpy

Sometimes Dopey fits too
Donating Member
Registered
I am needing to replace the home PC and have not heard anything good about VISTA yet. I bought my wife a new HP laptop in December with the Core2Duo setup running XP but "VISTA Ready". That thing screams with speed on the net etc...

Should I buy the same "Ready" setup for the home PC or take the chance on VISTA and what I am hearing as lots of headaches and compatibility issues.

Anybody have any thoughts?

We don't use the PC for gaming or very much video but it does serve as the base for my wifes music stuff, Microsoft Office programs get regular use and it has spent probably 85% of it's life on the internet.

I'd like to be able to rip/burn CD's and DVD's etc...

Thanx

(captain @ Feb. 09 2007,13:55) Get XP Pro with a free upgrade to Vista
Agreed.
let the bugs get worked out of vista for a few months.
i have heard some programs like i use will not run with vista yet.

I've been running Vista Ultimate on one of my PC's for a while now, and am mostly pleased. (RTM final version with the thirty day freeze patch to keep it from expiring.) Microsoft always manages to screw with the comfort zone by renaming familiar things or changing their location, but other than that It's been solid for me. I've already run into lots of upgrade problems with my customers relating to hardware, software, and drivers, but that's to be expected with any new OS release. As for a new PC with Vista, you should be OK unless you plan on trying to load any older apps or incompatible drivers.

If you're fine with XP, there's really no burning need to get it right away. Especially if you're under a gig of RAM. If you're a geek however, go for it. That Aero glass interface sure is purdy.

I've heard that people are having iPod compatibility issues. I'm going to wait a few months so that they can iron out the bugs.
wink.gif

ive upgrade to ultimate and i ve been luck thus far i say go for and get it already installed

Yeah, my understanding is that it doesn't work with iTunes, the software for iPods. Guy here on the ETR board has been on the phone with Microsoft since he got it trying to find drivers for his camera and printer. I think I'll wait. This may actually be the straw that forces me over to a Mac.

Dan

warbrown hit the nail on the head!!

It's best to do a clean install w/ an OS....especially Windows-based.  There is normally a high probability of having hardware/software compatibility issues w/ the new OS.

If you're computer savvy and have patience then I say go for it.  I would not do so (upgrade opposed to install clean) if you only have one computer though.

it will be patched soon...
wink.gif

i'd go w/ new hardware unless your machine is pretty decked out...

A buddy of mine is having some home networking issues with his, he has 4 XP and 1 Vista machine on a network but the Vista keeps saying wireless networking only and his house is wired for networking and he has no interest in wireless.So far that's the only issue he's having...

Vista is fine. ALL Windows are the same: buggy, needing patched, security holes, never really finished, it's the new [same old] model. Make sense? You don't HAVE to have it, but in a few years you will anyway.

Microsoft Windows: There is nothing better and nothing worse

I have 5 pc's and I recently bought a Mac. Believe that my next personal computer will be a Mac. No problems what so ever.

My machine will easily handle it. I'm not a fan of upgrading an Existing OS and I dodn't want to go through the pain of reinstalling my apps. So, I'll be waiting for a bit!

Bought a new Compaq laptop Friday that has Vista Premium installed.

So far I'm really liking it. It's different but not too different and speed wise it screams. The laptop has a 2 ghz Turion 64 processor with 1 gb of memory so it must be a pretty efficient OS. It actually seems a bit faster than my 3 ghz Pentium 4 desktop running XP. The rotating 3D windows deal is kinda cool too.

No problems with my home WIFI either. Real odd thing is that my desktop usually runs about 2400 KB on the speakeasy speedtest and it's hardwired. The new Compaq running WIFI hits 3000 KB.

For $600 bucks I'm really happy with the purchase. This forum looks really nice of the 15.4" high def widesceen too.
smile.gif

As far as the lemming ipod deal goes, can't really comment on the compatibility. If someone gave me one of those POS fad things I'd sell it to a drooling crackhead and continue to use my PDA which does a million more things (and costs less) or just use a real MP3 player.

I have not yet installed Vista. A guy I work with says if you want it, and are not overly computer savvy, buy a computer with it installed. He used to work in the computer industry, and says it could be fairly daunting to install it if you are not up-to-speed on your computer skills.

No personal experience though.

Back