Windows Vista

ks-waterbug

Group Buy Guy
Donating Member
Registered
I just updated my laptop and it came with this already installed... First thoughts, yea nice pretty colors! Some cool interfaces, but all and all seems to be nothing more than Windows XP Pro with a few more security features. Now, since the Bug ain't a computer genius, what if anything am I missing? Oh, before I forget the new explorer has me puzzled. Can't seem to find all the standard features I took for granted on the old versions... Anyone else got some insight or concerns with the new Vista?

Search and you shall find
smile.gif

It works fine. It has bugs. It needs patched monthly.... jsut like every other Microsoft OS released. They will never be any different. Can someone please explain to me how CHANGING the presentation of something makes it a whole new upgrade? Like the new interface... find an "ok" one and leave it the heck alone. You don't see MAC changing their basic functionality every two years. Adding 5 more wheels to a car that already has four doesnt make it any better.

Please notice we are STILL able to run the EXACT same old boring spread sheets we used to run in DOS [Lotus?], and Windows 3.1. What is gained? Nothing - just added support cost, added hardware costs, added new training costs. And the new OS does nothing special for my games either.

Yeah, I'll be running it shortly so I can learn it and make more money supporting others who lack the time to RELEARN the same old stuff, but if you don't NEED it for some specific reason, why bother?

I will NOT pay good money for another Microsoft operating system. There will be no more of this nonsense in my house. Once it comes time to buy a new computer or upgrade this one I'm going to pick a decent desktop Linux distro with a nice gui and go with that. I've heard so many horror stories about Vista already that I'm just going to stay with what I've got for now. I'm slowly migrating away from all Microshaft products anyway, so XP will be the last time I make the mistake of giving these people any more money.

Ubuntu has been pretty good. It has a nice desktop that can pretty well customized. The best part is it's all FREE.

I have XP, but I prefer Ubuntu. The only I think would make it better is a native 64-bit WiFi driver.

I have not used it,but it will end up being another dang op. system that Microsoft produces just because they cant get the prior systems to ever run right...

lots of folks sharing the same sentiment. I'm not sure where I stand with this new OS seems to be just what was said above. But, so hard for the average dummy to find something different and reliable.

My new laptop came with Vista premium and I sort of like it. It's been three weeks and I haven't found a single bug yet.

The new IE layout sucks but after a bunch of tweaking I got the tool bars, quick links ect. looking and functioning like the old version.

My biggest complaint with Vista is the damn security warnings that are always popping up. Some programs require you to approve them every single time you launch (non commercial stuff). There are no settings in the pop up that allow you to disable the warnings for that single program. Getting deep within the Vista settings allows you to disable the warnings but it's all or nothing. I disabled that feature but now the security is gone.

The OS loads fast, runs fast and shuts down fast. My laptop is 2 ghz and Vista starts and shuts down much faster than XP on my 3 ghz laptop.
The rotating 3D panes are cool. Even video files continue to play while floating in 3D profile.
Getting Vista as a preloaded OS on a new computer is fine. If someone gave me a free copy of Vista for my desktop I would NOT bother installing it let alone pay a dime for it.
Only windows version I ever broke down and paid for was 98 because 95 was such a cluster #$!%. 98 sucked too. ME preinstalled on my previous desktop was the first version of windows that worked well for me and I enjoyed using.

I wouldn't mind ditching the mouse and going back to the MSDOS days (or TRSDOS if anyone knows what that is). Having to actually know how to use a computer kept the retards away. The old dial up BBS days were good times.
smile.gif

(Turbo-Torch @ Mar. 02 2007,18:flamethrowing:) My new laptop came with Vista premium and I sort of like it.  It's been three weeks and I haven't found a single bug yet.

The new IE layout sucks but after a bunch of tweaking I got the tool bars, quick links ect. looking and functioning like the old version.

My biggest complaint with Vista is the damn security warnings that are always popping up.  Some programs require you to approve them every single time you launch (non commercial stuff).  There are no settings in the pop up that allow you to disable the warnings for that single program. Getting deep within the Vista settings allows you to disable the warnings but it's all or nothing.  I disabled that feature but now the security is gone.

The OS loads fast, runs fast and shuts down fast.  My laptop is 2 ghz and Vista starts and shuts down much faster than XP on my 3 ghz laptop.  
The rotating 3D panes are cool.  Even video files continue to play while floating in 3D profile.
Getting Vista as a preloaded OS on a new computer is fine.  If someone gave me a free copy of Vista for my desktop I would NOT bother installing it let alone pay a dime for it.
Only windows version I ever broke down and paid for was 98 because 95 was such a cluster #$!%.  98 sucked too.  ME preinstalled on my previous desktop was the first version of windows that worked well for me and I enjoyed using.

I wouldn't mind ditching the mouse and going back to the MSDOS days (or TRSDOS if anyone knows what that is).  Having to actually know how to use a computer kept the retards away.  The old dial up BBS days were good times.
smile.gif
if your buying a machine with vista your fine... Hang on if you think that you will install on an older machine.. when I say older I mean a year old... TONS of hardware drivers not found.... Lots of software do not have solutions to get thier apps running on Vista... I think there are some great features, HOWEVER no way I would try to make the switch from xp to vista yet.. I have two Dell 390 core 2 duo with 4 gig ram in each and vista flies..... BUT most of the software that I had on my x64 xp machines will not run on vista nor will the companies tell me when they will be able to...

Back