Why wear leather?

I have leathers for winter, and perferated leathers for the summer and trackdays.

Think of it this way if you are doing 60mph and you slide for 6 seconds that is 88 feet you slide if you continue to travel at 60mph thats not counting the friction your body apply to slow down so looking at it that way depending on what speed you are sliding at and your weight. But im not sure at the speed they test this at. I just used 60mph as a normal average speed but most of the motorcycle spills ive seen on public roads are alot slower. kind of an interesting subject. I had a spill a few years ago on a 600 and i was wearing a frank thomas jacket with no padding in it my speed was about 40mph and it wasnt as much of a slide as a role so i never had one area to test on the jacket to see how abrasion resistant it was. but i was able to walk away and the jacket isnt bad. that sad part was the only thing i broke were 2 toes on my right foot because my shoe came off and my foot hit the pavement. go figure. i wish it was a cooler story.

yea, i make the mistake of not wearing gloves most of the time, I think I will remember now, to just put them on!

FYI

Under the EU Standards, material used in motorcycle protective clothing must have abrasion resistance of between 4 and 7 seconds for use over the high impact areas of the body (Zone 1 and 2). Just to put this in context, a single layer of 1.4 mm cow hide will last 5.8 seconds, while 200 gsm denim (or your standard jeans), will last just over half (0.6) of a second (SATRA, 2002).

something to think about :whistle:

If you value your hide its good idea.I went 2 hospitol many years ago 2 have gravel +dirt from highway scrubbed out of my back very painfull 4 many days after.I also have some kevlar pants thats good protection also.thats what I wear Im 2 old dont heal fast anymore.

mrpeo3.jpg

wise choice it kills me see people ride in open toe sandels + tank tops.

Good wear boots 2 when i had my crash long time ago it ripped tennis shoes off my feet.

and tore up my ankles + feet bad.

Last edited:
Although, i've been shown studies at MSF classes that say leather, ballistic material and denim all shred about the same time. The difference is less than a second.

Incorrect.

In MSF class, leather and denim with kevlar lining shred almost the same time. Denim alone will not stand a chance with cow hide, none. Wear leather if you love your skin.

You know you just endorse Catwoman IN leathers.

:laugh:

--Wag--

Think of it this way if you are doing 60mph and you slide for 6 seconds that is 88 feet you slide if you continue to travel at 60mph thats.

You failed to finish your equasion. At 60mph you are moving 88 ft per second. Sliding for six seconds you would cover 528 ft if you continued at 60mph.

Think of it this way if you are wearing jeans, you'd slide more than the length of a football field on your bare arse checks :please:

I have road tested 1.3mm leather and Cordura (600 AND 1000) at 40 MPH. The Cordura 600 tore. The Cordura 1000 had severe rash, but held. The leather had mild rash.

I ride with Cordura 1000 textiles for commuting. I ride with leathers every other time.

FYI

Under the EU Standards, material used in motorcycle protective clothing must have abrasion resistance of between 4 and 7 seconds for use over the high impact areas of the body (Zone 1 and 2). Just to put this in context, a single layer of 1.4 mm cow hide will last 5.8 seconds, while 200 gsm denim (or your standard jeans), will last just over half (0.6) of a second (SATRA, 2002).

something to think about :whistle:

Leather without armor inserts isn't much better. Always thought leather was good protection until I crashed and saw my skin tear at every contact point and the leather wasn't even scuffed up. I wear armor now.

Back