Who can remove viruses and trojans?

jessup

Just because the dog eats it doesnt mean
Donating Member
Registered
My virus defs expired on 12/26/05 on 12/27/05 I managed to pick up the browsela.dll virus/trojan. I cant get rid of it... It is hidden as an svchost.exe file and when I go into the registry/ safemode w/ prompt and delete the svchost.exe files it shuts down the computer... Can someone put detailed instructions or send me to the right place? I have put on Macfee security center but it can not pull it off the computer.
Thanks!

Actually it is Generic downloader c if that helps.

you could also try this...

Infected are:
* C:\WINDOWS\system32\alt.exe
* C:\WINDOWS\system32\browsela.dll

First, Ctrl + Alt + Suppr
Kill process -> alt.exe
Now, you can try to delete -> C:\WINDOWS\system32\alt.exe

Click Start > Execute > REGEDIT
Then press F3 and find string: browsela

You should have something like ...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\....

Double-click on the key "browsela" and remove string "C:\WINDOWS\system32\browsela.dll" (leave blank)
Close REGEDIT -> Reboot -> normally browsela.dll will be not attach to a current process in the next session.
Now you can delete file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\browsela.dll

My virus defs expired on 12/26/05 on 12/27/05 I managed to pick up the browsela.dll virus/trojan.  I cant get rid of it... It is hidden as an svchost.exe file and when I go into the registry/ safemode w/ prompt and delete the svchost.exe files it shuts down the computer... Can someone put detailed instructions or send me to the right place?  I have put on Macfee security center but it can not pull it off the computer.
Thanks!
.. PM me if you need fix...

( no, I`m not a drug dealer)

<!--EDIT|Vic_E55_2001
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136609554 -->

My virus defs expired on 12/26/05 on 12/27/05 I managed to pick up the browsela.dll virus/trojan.  I cant get rid of it... It is hidden as an svchost.exe file and when I go into the registry/ safemode w/ prompt and delete the svchost.exe files it shuts down the computer... Can someone put detailed instructions or send me to the right place?  I have put on Macfee security center but it can not pull it off the computer.
Thanks!
.. PM me if you need fix...

( no, I`m not a drug dealer)
there ya go....

the answer.

Thanks rub! and vic! I pm'd you vic... Nothing seems to work.

Rub is absolutelly correct on his removal procedure.

If you need Norton Corp Antivirus I can give it to you.

Or use this LINKY

what do you obviously more knowledgeable chaps think of agv free version for day-day virus blockin and such?

I dunno if I'm just lucky, it's good, or what.. been running it for like 2 years now along with zone alarm, and that MS antispyware thing.

so far so good.

what do you obviously more knowledgeable chaps think of agv free version for day-day virus blockin and such?

I dunno if I'm just lucky, it's good, or what.. been running it for like 2 years now along with zone alarm, and that MS antispyware thing.

so far so good.
Norton Corporate Edition and xoftSpy for spyware protection.

I can help you get them... How when you have DSL it would be no problem
smile.gif

This program has always worked well for me, and it's free also. Form some reason making a link won't work so here's the URL www.grisoft.com/

norton sucks. and that is NOT just an uneducated opinion. free AVG is ok, but there is better, just not free. I used AVG for years. I no longer use anti-virus since I just don't get viruses. search for your virus here and here: should give you info to remove if possible. some viruses are not worth the effort. just save your files and reformat - that's life
smile.gif

http://www.trendmicro.com/
http://sophos.com/

I like Norton, I just don't like the pricing they have come up with lately. It's allways been effective for me. Simple, clean, whats not to like aside from pricing?

some of those are flat nasty -- I had one that spawned itself on every shutdown with a random file name. I tried about 40 different removers/programs and none could get it. Finally found one that did the job -- and dang if I can think of the name or site right now. I ran a google search on "name of trojan" remove

You could always try Pandasoftware's free online scanner, works like a charm...

Government using Mcafee ( as far as i know). Major corporations use Norton...
I use Norton on 50 servers and 1600 clients around the glob...
500 virus attacks every week. No casualties...
smile.gif
Free software is ok especially they all can use the same virus definitions. Just keep it updated....

BTW. Do you really have to pay for software all the time?
biggrin.gif

Never had anything get through my Norton,Zone alarm is an excellent alternative.Sounds like time to reformat my friend.:(

Back