help removing a virus!!

Fastfrog007

Donating Member
Registered
I got a Virus in my laptop. Its known as "Vista Anti virus pro 2010" it gets in, tell you that you have security threats and that you need to buy a program. Its all bogus, it IS the virus, or so ive read on other sites. A number of them have downloads to get rid of it, but i dont trust them. Ive read that the people who create the virus also make fix-it programs to download, thus diggin yourself a deeper hole.
Any help out there? I dont wanna bring it to someone a pay if I can do it my self. At this point, i cant even get more than 3 or 4 clicks into a site before my browser is hijacked and I cant do anything online, restart the browser/computer and the same thing happens. Im on a desktop now with the infected computer nearby if someone can walk me through it. Thanks Org-ers:bowdown:

Can you download the program you need to the uninfected PC and transfer it to the infected one via thumb drive or USB drive? If you can get the program on the USB drive, then boot your infected PC in safe mode and you should still have access to the thumb drive to install the program.

What about loading up your laptop in safe mode with LAN connectivity and downloading the program that way?

Last edited:
I use Spybot Search and Destroy. You can google it and get a free down load. I had a virus once that nothing would get rid of it. Found Spybot and away it went.

Take you computer back to a restore point, a date before this happened then you should be able to search for a antivirus with out getting your computer hijacked:thumbsup:

I have used both the spybot and malware. They both work great for what you are needing to get fixed. Good luck with getting your laptop fixed. :thumbsup:

:firing:I HATE COMPUTERS!!!!!!!!!!:moderator: :banghead: I give up, thanks for the info guys, but the virus keeps interupting anything i try to do. Its gettin dropped off at shop tomorrow morning. If I keep messin with it, I think it will end up getting thrown out a window.

I use Spybot Search and Destroy. You can google it and get a free down load. I had a virus once that nothing would get rid of it. Found Spybot and away it went.

Spybot will not get rid of what he has....it's malware, not a virus. Just went through this with husbands computer this weekend.

We got spyware doctor for 30 bux and we can download it to 3 computers. Fixed his problem and found a few things on mine as well.

Hope you get yours up and running.........Good luck.

:firing:I HATE COMPUTERS!!!!!!!!!!:moderator: :banghead: I give up, thanks for the info guys, but the virus keeps interupting anything i try to do. Its gettin dropped off at shop tomorrow morning. If I keep messin with it, I think it will end up getting thrown out a window.

From my expierence it is best to erase the operating system and start anew. You cannot, with any confidence, make sure you got it all by downloading more and more programs. I think you're adding to the problem if you do. I know it sux but tell the technician to erase it and start over with a fresh load of vista. Patch the new OS and get a decent anti-virus/host firewall.

Just my .02

Last edited:
All suggestions listed so far are good. Malwarebytes, Spybot, etc. are good are finding and removing malware. The trick is to make sure you get the malware process out of memory first. Either 1) Run task manager (taskmgr.exe) to find the offending process (if the malware will let you run it) and kill it. See if it reappears. Some of the smarter malware will see you trying to delete it and regenerate themselves. Then, run your favorite malware remover. Make sure that your are running the latest definitions. Or, 2) Boot into Safe Mode (with networking if you need to update the definitions) and run your malware remover. After cleaning you should reboot and run it again (to verify that you have removed it).

If you are comfortable using regedit (remember to backup the registry first before editing) there are some common locations malware installs itself so that it will execute (get into memory) when the computer boots. You should look (at least) in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Some (not all) malware use this location to ensure that they are loaded into memory at system startup. If you see malware startup entries in either of these locations, delete those entries and the files they reference. You would do this after killing the process from memory and before running the Malware remover. This would help (no promises) keep the malware from being loaded into memory when you reboot the computer.

Some malware is very difficult to remove. The suggestion to reformat and start again is reasonable if you want to feel secure that your computer is indeed clean.

The key is prevention. Use a layered approach to securing your computer. Religiously apply operating system updates. Also, verify that all of your third party applications are updated also. Java and Adobe had serious security problems recently that were being actively used by malware. Secunia has some products (free for consumers) that can scan for vulnerabilities (Consumer - Products). Don't visit "inappropriate" websites. Lots of malware comes from those sites. Run current A/V and keep it updated (daily).

I've had lots of luck lately using Kaspersky. I used to use McAfee, but the constant (daily) malware infections (under the users profile) caused me to look to other products. Kaspersky seems to be much better at *preventing* the infections.

I work IT (university) and deal with this on a daily basis.

Good luck.

From my expierence it is best to erase the operating system and start anew. You cannot, with any confidence, make sure you got it all by downloading more and more programs. I think you're adding to the problem if you do. I know it sux but tell the technician to erase it and start over with a fresh load of vista. Patch the new OS and get a decent anti-virus/host firewall.

Just my .02

That is the answer. Then get Kaspersky for your computer, the DOD uses it and it works.

ctl alt delete to pull up task manager then find the file that is running the virus and stop process, then run superantispyware or malawarebytes then follow with cc cleaner... all free programs. if it one of those newer nasty ones that wont let you put up task manager then get a thumb drive and put those programs on it from another computer and instal from the thumb drive. update and run. i run no antivirus...these buggers are a pain but they can go bye bye

I had a similar problem ended up having my buddy run a windows master disk (he's a freakin genius when it comes to this stuff) and having to reinstall everything, you just need to back up your stuff on a thumb or external hard drive it took 5 hours or so. so basically we backed up anything I needed and wiped the computer. Then he was kind enough to install symantec something or other elite corporate edition that seems to stop everything and it's mother

If you are going to remove that virus, the only way to actually remove the virus is to boot your computer in Safe Mode. If you unaware how to do this, you can follow this How to boot in safe mode

Then, you can follow Remove Anti-Virus PRo guide on how to remove the virus. It does involve regedits though, so only do if you are comfortable and knowledgeable about the registry as you can do some major damage.

Also, the shop is going to charge you a good amount to do it. If you want, we might be able to arrange something and I can do it for you. The last time I removed it from my GF's computer it took a few hours, but if you follow those guides above, it should be doable and save you a fair amount of money.

Last edited:
That is the answer. Then get Kaspersky for your computer, the DOD uses it and it works.

DoD uses Symantec. As a soldier it's free for download from AKO and has no expiration date. It's a resource hog but it does OK.

Malwarebytes and S&D will get it, but the free versions don't run resident in memory to prevent, they only clean after the fact.

Reinstalling the operating system is the "Nuclear Option". I've never met a computer I can't clean - it's a challenge I will spend weeks if I have to.

OooooooooF my brain hurtz from reading this thread !

Hope you get it fixed...if not get a bigger hammer !

Stop going to p0rn sites, internet p0rn is not safe sex you computer got an STD :laugh:

always use protection :laugh:
Norton anti virus is the best. you can get it off e bay for 35$ for 2yr 3pc

and for people that say its boggs your computer down, A: have and slow outdated computer, or B: do not have it configured correctly for thier computer.

another good antivirus is aluria- runs faster then norton just as good, but cost a little more.

Last edited:
Back