Where are the "gloved ones"?

argue.gif

buttkick.gif

In all seriousness though....this is a pretty darn good thread. Lotsa good info on a bunch of gloves.

I'm a little excited about the Helimots...but I dunno if he'll be able to ship out here.
rock.gif

Yeah I need to hit the rack...let me know if they don't ship to yer rock and I'll send them to ya
beerchug.gif

I too have the full guanlet TiMax series(see shameless photo-op below)....yes they are hot in the summer...but we do dress for the crash ...not for the ride.
I have been down the road where I sacraficed protection for comfort...opting for "riding sneakers" (sold at the local dealer) instead of the normal boot gear.....and all it cost me was 11K and seven years of "not so great" credit (due to a lack of insurance to pay for the hospital blls)....however I did get a nice titanium plate and 6 screws in my ankle for my troubles.
My point is that there has to be compromise in what one "thinks" is protection..and what really "is" protection. The same holds true in jackets as well....textile just cannot afford the same protection as leather products. Either the materials are there ...or they are not.

One issue with many people is that they see how thick and heavy the gloves are....so they don't use them much...hence like a baseball glove...it doesn't get broken in as it should.
I would offer this to try first....use a high-end leather conditioner on the palms and fingers of the Icons...... something non greasy and not cheap .... you might try Wilson's Leather treatments.....or maybe the Meguire's brand. By making the paln area surface softer..you may increase feedback as you are trying to do. Just be sure of the residues (if any) before using the products....obviously you can't use Armor All !
beerchug.gif

DSCF0036.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

(BA BUSA @ Nov. 17 2006,02:06) Yeah I need to hit the rack...let me know if they don't ship to yer rock and I'll send them to ya  
beerchug.gif
hey cool...many thanks, my bro!
beerchug.gif

Yeah...go get some rest, partner. I, on the other hand, will terrorize some waitresses.
wink.gif

beerchug.gif

(BusaCruise @ Nov. 17 2006,02:07) I too have the full guanlet TiMax series(see shameless photo-op below)....yes they are hot in the summer...but we do dress for the crash ...not for the ride.
I have been down the road where I sacraficed protection for comfort...opting for "riding sneakers" (sold at the local dealer) instead of the normal boot gear.....and all it cost me was 11K and seven years of "not so great" credit (due to a lack of insurance to pay for the hospital blls)....however I did get a nice titanium plate and 6 screws in my ankle for my troubles.
My point is that there has to be compromise in what one "thinks" is protection..and what really "is" protection.  The same holds true in jackets as well....textile just cannot afford the same protection as leather products.  Either the materials are there ...or they are not.

One issue with many people is that they see how thick and heavy the gloves are....so they don't use them much...hence like a basble glove...it doesn't get broken in as it should.
I would offer this to try first....use a high-end leather conditioner on the palms and fingers of the Icons...... something non greasy and not cheap .... you might try Wilson's Leather treatments.....or maybe the Meguire's brand.  By making the paln area surface softer..you may increase feedback  as you are trying to do.  Just be sure of the residues (if any) before using the products....obviously you can't use Armor All !
beerchug.gif

DSCF0036.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg
well, I suppose that's true...but there's no sense in getting gear that's gonna get you wrecked because it dulls your reaction and response capabilities.

No doubt the Ti-Max will offer good protection, but I don't think I would like to take the chance of crashing because of lousy feedback from my gear.

My thoughts on it, at any rate.
biggrin.gif

I just got the Joe Rockets and liners, because I'm a wuss. No feedback. I have a pair of ventilated leathers I'll probably continue to wear during spring and summer because I need the feel for the bike. Good Luck.
beerchug.gif

understood....but if a person goes down because their gloves 'dulled their senses" or "delayed their reaction time" ....then perhaps they weren't paying attention to conditions and their surrounding in the first place.

If you don't like them fine...but to think that the gloves are going to increase the odds of an accident, is to think that a seatbelt you don't like will increase the odds as well.
You've joined the ranks of the "ones that have gone down" .... welcome!
Now get back out there and RIDE!

Try the Helmots (heard some good things about them...)

It's either that or go get some Isotoners....then you'll have all the feedback you want! Super glue some bottle caps over the knuckles and BeeBees on the palm.....whala!
beerchug.gif

gotta run and catch a flight...see ya'll later!

(PACIFICBUSA @ Nov. 17 2006,01:47) aaaannnd....coincidentally....it;s Guinness time. Or perhaps I'll have me an Irish carbomb.
Hey will you pass me a Irish Carbomb also!!!

Well......all I've got to say is if ya wanna really look cool....

Gotta get the "Buell" gloves.    I'm tellin' ya!
tounge.gif

030106ride002.jpg

GREAT thread! It's taken me through three pairs of gloves!
biggrin.gif

These are my first, favorite, and most amazing "feel" gloves...

Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 mesh-

These are my "best" gloves, but still breaking them in...

Held Kryptons-

These are great for cold weather, down to 35-40...

Tour Master Cold Front Carbons-

biggrin.gif

P.S.- Actually I've also bought two others I didn't like on eBay, promptly turned around and sold them the same way I got them!

P.P.S.- Way to go Pac, a reformed squid is the best sort of inspiration!

biggrin.gif

Yeah, yeah, I know Pac, YOU will never need the last pair but some of us here might!!
laugh.gif

P.S.- How'd you wind up in Guam, you a native or an import?

Hey Pac, you don't need to be so worried about your hands, what you need is a pair of leather granny panties! I remember that last get off you had and the rasberry butt you had. Made me shiver just looking at all that barked up hide! Did you heal up okay from that crash? I felt for you man. I downloaded those pictures and show them to my friends who think it's cool to ride in their shirt sleeves and tennis shoes.

If you really want to know what works best, take a trip to the track on race day and look at the top ten finishers. Those guys will be wearing the best gear for the buck and it will work.

My son has been road racing for quite some time and he prefers Taichi Gloves. He has crashed a number of times and like you, he worries about his hands the most. He has never torn a Taichi glove and never so much as a broken nail. Another glove that's popular at the track is the Alpinestar GP Pro. That's the glove I wear and so does several of the better racer guys. What seperates the good gloves from the average ones is the stitching. I crashed in a pair of fieldshear gloves once and tore the outside seam out. Not good. I don't think you'll find anyone with a number plate on their bike with icon or Field Shear gear. IMHO Field Shear and Icon are the walmart specials. Cheap, Cheap, Cheap!

Most any glove will get you through a single crash as long as you aren't exceeding the speed limit. However, a high speed crash will eat through a pair of cheap gloves like butter.

Check out this site http://studio819.smugmug.com/gallery/584447
You'll see my son on his arse at over a 100mph with both palms down while wearing Taichi Gloves and he raced the rest of the season in those gloves.

Gloves are like boots, they must be comfy or it takes all the fun out of a ride.

Back