Where are the "gloved ones"?

PACIFICBUSA

The Shaver Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Let's talk gloves, shall we? I currently own a pair of Icon Ti-Max gloves (gauntlets)...and they look to be quite sound. While I would feel comfortable (read safe) in the event of a get-off, I'm not so hot about the feel of it. I need more feedback from the steering, clutch, brake and throttle. Don't get me wrong...the gloves are nice an' thick and I think they'll hold up well in a crash, but my biggest nag against the Ti-Max is that in the quest for protection, Icon has dulled some "feeling" from the glove. I don't feel like I'm in touch with the bike...I feel more "detached" than I should. Not good juju, IMHO.

So I'm in the hunt for gloves that will still give me considerable protection in the event of a spill, but at the same time won't obstruct feedback. I'm lookin for good quality gloves, so please don't sing to me the virtues of something akin to a JR Phoenix Glove. I've seen those in person and I can't believe that JR thinks that will actually protect someone involved in a get-off.

The glove must be constructed well enough to grant me decent protection in a crash as well as providing optimum feel in regards to clutch, brake, steering and throttle response.

Anyone? Your help would be most welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!

I think, glove should be more protected than the boots, in event of spill or what ever you want to call it...ppl usually reach for the ground instead of grab your head and try to roll or tumble, guess its a human nature...BTW, I like most proteted gloves in the market available...guess its just me...and I just found one for summer, price is bit stiff, but you know you really paying for what you get...(this one has a air vent and they call it too...) so, take a peek...

<!--EDIT|hydrabusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147254327 -->

i36310.jpg

I am by all means no glove expert,but have you checked out the Moto GP's Nitrous Gloves? They are a race style glove,not sure if this is for you.

I am wanting to get a pair of them,they have my styling written all over them,but not sure if I would encounter the same problem as you.
They are not cheap either.

gloves.jpg

I have this pair like you do...to me its the "best that money can buy." kind of glove...
biggrin.gif
but in summer? you want some air somewhere...
sad.gif

<!--EDIT|hydrabusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147254603 -->

i18268.jpg

I've been using the Alpinestars SP-1 glove for about 2 years now. Again, as already stated, Im no glove expert. Price is reasonable at about $100.00. I love the look and protection of the GP Tech glove, but havent shilled out the $250 + to try em yet, anyhow back to the SP-1.

Initial break-in of the glove was sorta a pain..literally to my fingers. After about 10+ hours breaing them in, they have molded perfectly to my hands. These gloves give lots of feedback from the controls, very comfortable, and pretty well built. A downside is they are a COLD glove, meaning anything below 40F and my fingers get very cold. I always cover my controls with 2 fingers, which expose them to the elements more, but Im not breaking my riding style to keep my fingers warm. Anything above those temps, and the gloves work great for the price. They have Carbon Fiber inserts on the knuckles for protection, and the palms are reinforced nicely. No Knagraoo here, but for the price, they have been worth the cash to me.

As far as water proof, well there again I have mixed reviews. For a light sprinkle to a mild shower, the gloves are fine for about 20 minutes to a half hour. Anything more than that, and ya get soggy cold fingers. I guess a guy needs multiple gloves for different conditions, which I have reluctantly resorted to. There is no gor-tex in the gloves, but maybe the lack of insulation give the glove such excellent feedback. The Spidi's pictured above look great, and will read more about them. The SP-1 are also a gauntlet style glove, which I wouldn't be without...keeps the wrists nice and warm, and free from intruding insects.

Again, the SP-1 in my opinion are good for road riding and mild track days in fair to good weather. Size runs small, so be sure to try a pair on before purchasing, or order a size bigger than normal. Construction is on par or better than most, but not suitable for long rides in the rain or temps below 40F. I have used these glove for about 12,000 miles and could use them for another 12,000 with no problems if they continue to perform the way they have been performing in the conditions I use them in.

Anyhow, hope this helps...

John

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147256864 -->

Paul,I have the Icon's as well,2 pairs! The longs for winter and the shorts for summer.

Paul,
I have two pair of gloves right now, one pair are the Joe Rocket super moto street gloves. They are short gloves with decent ventilation and good feel. My "other pair of gloves are Alpine Stars GP Techs. By far my favorite pair of gloves, ever. The $240ish price tag scares a lot of people off, but they are ebay usually for around $160 (wish Iwould have looked there first!)

alpinestars_gp_tech_gloves.jpg

These are the supermoto gloves from JR...

blue.jpg

i've been through 3 different pair and still cant find the right ones.

I'm curious to see other opinions.

I roll w/ these JR Speedmasters....well ventilated.  I haven't been in the heat of summer yet but thus far on the 80 degree days it's all good.

They're long though.  I wanna get a nice pair of short gloves too....use the long ones for the track I guess.

Anyone have the JR GPX 2 gloves?  If so, are they short or long?

As far as the "feel" goes, it's great. Well worth my $$$.

<!--EDIT|BiG-T
Reason for Edit: "added commentary"|1147265719 -->

115_2683.jpg

Again, the SP-1 in my opinion are good for road riding and mild track days in fair to good weather. Size runs small, so be sure to try a pair on before purchasing, or order a size bigger than normal. Construction is on par or better than most, but not suitable for long rides in the rain or temps below 40F. I have used these glove for about 12,000 miles and could use them for another 12,000 with no problems if they continue to perform the way they have been performing in the conditions I use them in.

John
+1

Hey Pac, how long have you been riding with the Icon's? Mine were the same way when I first got them. No feeling and they also left imprints in my hands from the internal stiching. Now that they've broken in though, they're the most comfortable one's I've wear. The JR supermoto's are the 2nd...

I have the Held Akira's. I've worn them for just over three years and 12,000 miles. They're a little pricey but well worth it. Check 'em out. there's a few different styles too.
akiraglove02.jpg

AKIRA GLOVES

Pro-Level Racing Glove
Kangaroo Hide Construction
Unlined Kangaroo Palm with SUPROTECT and Kevlar Padding
Special Step Seam Construction on Fingers for Maximum Control and Feel
Non-Creasing, Pre-Curved Palm
Pittards Armor-Tan TM Reinforced
Shock-Resistant SUPROTECT Padding
DuPont Kevlar Fiber on Back of Hand
SUPROTECT Reinforced Safety Rivets
Hard-Shell Carbon Fiber Molded Armor
Colors: Black, Black / Red, Black / Blue
Retail: $199.95
Here's a link to Held-USA.

I have JR GPX gloves. They have the best feel of any glove I have tried. Though I think they've been replaced with GPX2 which I haven't tried yet.

When it comes to gear, first you want protection then comfort. Hands are very different from person to person. That's why I go out and try on everything out there. If I'm uncomfortable, I'll end up crashing.

Back