Whats best comm system for use with iPhone??

redkat05

Dear spring....... HURRY!
Donating Member
Registered
Lookin into info on comm system best suited for use with the iPhone... Want to have Bluetooth connectivity and good range.

Also, is it possible to listen to music from the iphone via Bluetooth? What I mean is can the iPhone "broadcast" the music via Bluetooth, or how does that work?

You definately can listen to music via bluetooth with the iPhone as I do it all the time. I have a Whistler 3300 headset unit that is paired to my 3GS, I can recieve calls and listen to music and of course talk to another rider. If you have a jailbroken iPhone I would suggest getting "glove pod" in cydia, this allows you to change the music tracks in iPod using your volume buttons. You can't operate the screen while wearing gloves unless you have conductive thread!

There is/was also a cydia program called "Music Controls" that allowed you to control music inside music apps such as Pandora, Rhapsody, Y Music and many more! I tried to find it for my 3GS but I cannot find it in cydia anymore!:banghead: I still have it on my 3G and it works great!

AUTOCOM

Not the cheapest...but you asked for the best. :2cents:

Oh, BTW, Captain is doing his "man trip" with his iPhone, Autocom, Zumo, 2way, etc. I talked to him for about 30 mins the other day...while he was rolling down the road.

I use the scala-rider and absolutely love it. The noise-cancelling technology they use is awesome. The person I'm talking to has no clue I'm on a bike. The unit is very small and can be moved from one helmet to another easily. The internal batteries are rechargable. I've had mine for nearly 4 years and not had a problem with it yet.

It connects to my iphone 4 via bluetooth and incoming calls are answered by voice-control. Any spoken word answers. If I don't want to answer, I remain quiet.

It does have MP3 connectivity but it's via wire. Scala does not support A2DP for bluetooth music. I put the iphone in my jacket chest pocket and I'm not tethered to the bike when I dismount.

It also has an FM receiver built-in. It's difficult to find the station you want because it's scan-only.

Another nice thing about the scala is that it is glove-friendly. Few buttons and they are easily used with gloves on.

The bad things with the scala:
It does support voice-control but it doesn't work very well with the iphone. I never call who I'm trying to call. Easier to pull over, make the call, then keep riding. But really, who do you need to call while riding? I'm on-call 24x7 so it's nice that I'm reachable while I'm playing or commuting.

It does support line-of-sight communication to another bike and it is full-duplex. So you can both talk at the same time. A 3rd scala can be linked in but then the setup is one parent and 2 children. The parent can only talk to one child at a time and the children cannot talk to each other. Not ideal.

Hope this helps you make an informed decision.

Not sure about the new iPhone 4 but on the 3G and 3GS you just go into SETTINGS, then GENERAL, then BLUETOOTH! From there you can pair a compatible device to the iPhone!:thumbsup: I currently have my Whistler head unit, my Motorola H300 (one peice bluetooth device) and my RocketFish headphones paired to both my phones.

Last edited:
Autocom hands down...ive used it going 80 crystal clear although you will need the BT adapter....i also got the Chatterbox x1 BT and works well, but after 30 mph comms aint worth crap on the phone....and sometimes even with other riders...its needed some improvement on the comm side which they have not done FOR years and chatterbox claims to be one of the best systems...

The helmets with the blinc bluetooth unit built in play music from the iPhone, take phone calls, and have rider intercom. The work well, my only complaint is they could be a little bit louder.

:beerchug:

The helmets with the blinc bluetooth unit built in play music from the iPhone, take phone calls, and have rider intercom. The work well, my only complaint is they could be a little bit louder.

:beerchug:

Huh?! What did you say?

:laugh:

Whats best comm system for use with iPhone??

My experience...carry one of these:

iPhone Competitor.jpg

I love the idea of the VCAN helmets but I don't really like any of their designs & don't wanna have to buy 2 new helmets

I had a long talk yesterday with the Autocomm guy that Cap's set up a group buy with. I also have a Zumo 550. After a lot of questions, he recommended wiring my tankbag with the Autocomm, with enough leads/power to put my iPhone, Comms, and a radar detector in the bag, and Bluetooth the phone to my GPS (for functionality), then run cable from bag to my headset (I use earbuds). All in all, about a $600 job including the GPRS comm radio. Great setup, just not sure if I'm ready to put out that much $$ for a system I'll probably only get to use at the Bash as I rarely ride with others, and none of them have comms either...

Bluetooth is a 2 edged sword, going wireless seems to be really cool, in reality it does not work that well and you will box yourself into a corner and not have any room to grow. It will take quite a while to explain but lets just say this:

Autocom capabilaties:

1. Intercom

2. Music

3. Radar detector

4. GPS

5. Bike to bike capable (distance .5 miles to 7 miles)

6. Satelite radio

7. Cell Phone

8. Satelite phone

9. guaranteed to work up to 140mph or your money back !!!

10 You have to have a cord hooked to your helmet

Bluetooth systems:

1. can have rider to passenger intercom

2. can have fm radio or wired mp3

3. radar detector----no

4. gps but no other devices

5. bike to bike 500 ft no gmrs radios

6. Sat radio only if thru gps or by itself with a bluetooth dongle added exp

7. Yes buttons on side of helmet

8. Sat Phone only by itself bluetooth

9. Not guaranteed to 140mph

10 Have to have a lump on the side of your helmet and recharge batteries.
while you are hooking up the chargers the autocom users will be having
a beer

I only use bluetooth for intermittent cell usage thru a gps so I can see the calls on the screen and recieve them, or make a call from the gps screen.
problem with bluetooth is that it is expensive for poor, intermittent performance.

JMO Kieth 918-446-2245 :poke:

It is a lot easier to diagnose problems on a wired system than on a bluetooth system, if the 2 devices do not pair they just do not work. If 2 devices are hooked up incorrectly you just check the connection or change a lead.
Supposedly version 2.0 bluetooth protocols are compatable with any other protocol that starts with a 2-------that is just not the case and they only change the specs about every 2 weeks. Have fun trying to keep current.
:cheerleader:

Bluetooth is a 2 edged sword, going wireless seems to be really cool, in reality it does not work that well and you will box yourself into a corner and not have any room to grow. It will take quite a while to explain but lets just say this:

Autocom capabilaties:

1. Intercom

2. Music

3. Radar detector

4. GPS

5. Bike to bike capable (distance .5 miles to 7 miles)

6. Satelite radio

7. Cell Phone

8. Satelite phone

9. guaranteed to work up to 140mph or your money back !!!

10 You have to have a cord hooked to your helmet

Bluetooth systems:

1. can have rider to passenger intercom

2. can have fm radio or wired mp3

3. radar detector----no

4. gps but no other devices

5. bike to bike 500 ft no gmrs radios

6. Sat radio only if thru gps or by itself with a bluetooth dongle added exp

7. Yes buttons on side of helmet

8. Sat Phone only by itself bluetooth

9. Not guaranteed to 140mph

10 Have to have a lump on the side of your helmet and recharge batteries.
while you are hooking up the chargers the autocom users will be having
a beer

I only use bluetooth for intermittent cell usage thru a gps so I can see the calls on the screen and recieve them, or make a call from the gps screen.
problem with bluetooth is that it is expensive for poor, intermittent performance.

JMO Kieth 918-446-2245 :poke:

It is a lot easier to diagnose problems on a wired system than on a bluetooth system, if the 2 devices do not pair they just do not work. If 2 devices are hooked up incorrectly you just check the connection or change a lead.
Supposedly version 2.0 bluetooth protocols are compatable with any other protocol that starts with a 2-------that is just not the case and they only change the specs about every 2 weeks. Have fun trying to keep current.
:cheerleader:

Just trying to be clear: Are you saying you can't listen to SAT radio with a bluetooth setup without a dongle or GPS unit (ref. to #6)?

Back