Anyone have the Scala G4? Opinions?

theshnizzle

Rainbow of Skittles
Registered
My comm system broke, again, second one this season. The one I was using worked quite well actually, with good volume, but I think with all the riding I do, its just not durable enough.

It's a wired set and the wires ( two) are constantly in the way or unrolling from in my helmet, or stepping on them. One wraps around the grip with a PPT button and the other end plugs into the top of my Iphone.

It's very simple and effective,and it seems to be a chore to find something that works with the Iphone. Initially I had a HUGE problem with the boom mike going into voice control mod constantly, any wind at all on the mike and no music,just voice control.

I made a mini condom for the mike and problem solved.

After the pain in the azz wires, I was thinking of going wireless now. But that means BT and the battery on the Iphone doesn't last that long to begin with.
So I guess I would have to use the acc plug on my bike so no biggie I guess.

This is what I want to do, Answer the phone and listen to music. Thats all.
I don't need to communicate with anyone else,rider or passenger, just be able to answer calls ( I work on call) and listen to music.

My phone is a Iphone 3g s. I know sometimes people have had a hard time pairing thier Iphone with systems. Any system I buy will have to be able to support A2DP or whatever that is,because that's what the Iphone is, isn't it?

Please keep your replies as free from techno jargon as possible cause I won't understand what you are talking about.:whistle:

My comm system broke, again, second one this season. The one I was using worked quite well actually, with good volume, but I think with all the riding I do, its just not durable enough.

It's a wired set and the wires ( two) are constantly in the way or unrolling from in my helmet, or stepping on them. One wraps around the grip with a PPT button and the other end plugs into the top of my Iphone.

It's very simple and effective,and it seems to be a chore to find something that works with the Iphone. Initially I had a HUGE problem with the boom mike going into voice control mod constantly, any wind at all on the mike and no music,just voice control.

I made a mini condom for the mike and problem solved.

After the pain in the azz wires, I was thinking of going wireless now. But that means BT and the battery on the Iphone doesn't last that long to begin with.
So I guess I would have to use the acc plug on my bike so no biggie I guess.

This is what I want to do, Answer the phone and listen to music. Thats all.
I don't need to communicate with anyone else,rider or passenger, just be able to answer calls ( I work on call) and listen to music.

My phone is a Iphone 3g s. I know sometimes people have had a hard time pairing thier Iphone with systems. Any system I buy will have to be able to support A2DP or whatever that is,because that's what the Iphone is, isn't it?

Please keep your replies as free from techno jargon as possible cause I won't understand what you are talking about.:whistle:

off topic a little..
what wired head set were you using??
i'm looking for the same set up.. but nothing seems to fit the bill

Scala does not support A2DP (bluebooth music).

It only supports bluetooth phone. For that, it works great. I have a couple and there are no wires going to my phone that is either in my tank bag or my chest pocket. I can't make outbound calls but I can answer incoming and that's all I really care about.

When I want music, there are two choices.

1) the Scala is also an FM radio. I have a battery powered FM transmitter that plugs into my phone and then I tune the scala to that frequency.

2) There is also an included curly cord that goes from the scala down to the phone. Volume is just fine and I use this most of the time.

I've had Scala's for going on 5 years now. Love them. Small, easy to charge, very water-resistant and if you do want to talk to a passenger, works great.

have the matched G4 set, been using in rain and shine for about 2 months now,
works amazing, reception is good, clean at , ahem, above highway speeds, both for talking and the FM radio, can chat back and forth at least a mile and sometimes more.... and they reccommend if using a GPS and Cell, route your cell through the GPS ( eg: the Garmin Zumo )
this is waaaay better then the FRS hookups I have used and busted in the past few years.... 2 big thumbs up from here......

Scala website says the G4 supports a2dp
MP3 / Music

* Wireless MP3 music (A2DP) or through cable connected MP3 player

Scala does not support A2DP (bluebooth music).

It only supports bluetooth phone. For that, it works great. I have a couple and there are no wires going to my phone that is either in my tank bag or my chest pocket. I can't make outbound calls but I can answer incoming and that's all I really care about.

When I want music, there are two choices.

1) the Scala is also an FM radio. I have a battery powered FM transmitter that plugs into my phone and then I tune the scala to that frequency.

2) There is also an included curly cord that goes from the scala down to the phone. Volume is just fine and I use this most of the time.

I've had Scala's for going on 5 years now. Love them. Small, easy to charge, very water-resistant and if you do want to talk to a passenger, works great.

Back