TRE Question

Call Ivan and ask him about it..He is one heck of a nice guy ....http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/ 845-268-1212

In my experiance a properly timed and jetted-carborated machine will show faster clock times at the strip-track but, no noticable SEAT of The PANTS improvements..It can really fool ya.. Seat of the pants things that you will notice from a improperly tuned machine is, sudden power increase at a givven rpm(wheelie oppertunity) or most anything noticeable like a certain power band,etc.. Properly tuned means the more right hand you give it the faster it goes. and it should be smooth all the way, no bumps or hicups,etc in the power curve..A dyno is the only way to really tell..

I am not saying the TRE works I have not tried it yet, but the price on Ebay is a good one if it does anything..

From Ivan's site:

I have never seen so many differing opinions about how this little, inexpensive device operates and affects your bike!! So, I have decided to address some of the functions and try to clarify it's use.
The TRE is a device which allows much better throttle response in the first 4 gears on all EFI Suzuki sportbike models.
What the manufacturer has done is to make a SEPARATE IGNITION MAP FOR EACH GEAR.
This has been done for either safety and/or emissions reasons. However, it limits the power and smoothness of your bike in the first 1/2 turn of the throttle in gears 1 through 4.
They were clever in the design of this timing retarder. It still allows full timing at full throttle. As you shift up through the gears, the amount of throttle needed to access the advance curve decreases, until you make it into 5th gear and then it's gone. You have nice, smooth operation. Wouldn't you like your bike to respond just as smoothly in the lower gears?

That is why I invented the TRE !
I am the the original inventor of this product !!
I couldn't stand how these particular models ran in traffic. In addition, while going into a curve and closing the throttle in 2nd or 3rd gear the engine would come back with a big jerk when reapplying the throttle. After my TRE installation, gear changing was much smoother.

The TRE will disable the speed limiter on the 2001 - 2004 GSXR1000 and 2001 - 2004 GSX1300R. This due to the fact that the ECM does not see the 6th gear ignition map, which has an earlier rev-limiter.

Quick facts about the TRE

The TRE is a direct "plug in" installation to your bike - no cutting or splicing
The TRE has no effect at full throttle
The TRE does have an effect at throttle openings up to 1/2 in gears 1 through 4 at ANY rpm
The TRE will disable the speed limiter on the 2001 thru 2004 GSXR1000 and 2001 thru 2004 GSX1300R
The TRE will disable the speed limiter and high rpm horsepower/timing retarder on Suzuki V-Strom models only
The TRE does NOT affect full throttle horsepower
This has been verified on the dyno as well as on the road under controlled conditions
Our TRE has also been tested by Sport Rider Magazine, with rave reviews
The TRE is for "race use only"
The TRE does not comply with your warranty
The TRE does not comply with federal emission and/or safety laws.

So does anyone know if there is a difference between Ivans TRE and the one sold on Ebay? The one on Ebay seems to be the cheapest I've found. Does anyone have anything positive besides being able to break 185mph? Anyone know Honda's 600 top speed? I have a Busa. my buddy has the 600. The other day we went riding he said he hit 159mph and mine was pegged so I am not sure of my speed. I am just curious because he said he beat a 1000 in a race and his bike is stock. My Busa is mostly stock except for a K&N for now. Looking into the pcr3ub. Any thoughts on the power commander?

gtspd-

It is possible I for a 600 to "beat" a 1000. If:

A) The rider on the 1000 didn't know he was being raced

B) The 1000 referred to is a 79 CB1000

C) If the 600 is a Suzuki GSXR, and the other bike is a Honda.

SMILE!

Anyway.....I or someone else can look up the max speed for you on the the 600 if you tell us which model he has. As far as the TRE. I plan on doing some testing with mine this spring. ( On and off the bike dyno runs etc. I will post results or sure if someone else doesn't beat me to the punch!)

Corso

I have heard more Negetives about the TRE than Positives! My suggestion.... not needed. I dont have it, never have had it... but thats my take on it from what I have read on this and other boards.
blush.gif

Hey Pop, thats a new insight on this issue .... You got me thinking. So according to you, How will the situation change if you have a PCIII along with the TRE
rock.gif

A little more insight about Ivan: He makes a jet kit designed for the Yamaha FZ1, which I bought and installed on my bike. Dyuring the installation, I had a question about the float setting procedure, and called his shop in New York. Ivan himself answered and was very patient and courteous in helping me. His kit worked perfectly, by the way. I went ahead and bought a TRE, as a result of my prior experience with Ivan. I haven't installed it, as I first want to get used to the new exhaust/PCIII combo. I also have a 42T rear sprocket on the shelf for later. One mod at a time, you get to expeience the effect of each individual change.

A little more insight about Ivan: He makes a jet kit designed for the Yamaha FZ1, which I bought and installed on my bike. Dyuring the installation, I had a question about the float setting procedure, and called his shop in New York. Ivan himself answered and was very patient and courteous in helping me. His kit worked perfectly, by the way. I went ahead and bought a TRE, as a result of my prior experience with Ivan. I haven't installed it, as I first want to get used to the new exhaust/PCIII combo. I also have a 42T rear sprocket on the shelf for later. One mod at a time, you get to expeience the effect of each individual change.
?
doesn't make sense

So the reason for a tre on a 2000 model is for better throttle response? cause they are sold for 99 and 00 models correct?

Hey Pop, thats a new insight on this issue .... You got me thinking. So according to you, How will the situation change if you have a PCIII along with the TRE
rock.gif
These are all the mods I have done on my 2005 Busa

1. TRE
2. Power commander pc3 usb
3. 220 MPH blue gauges/speedohealer
4. Pair valve kit
5. Yoshi RS-3 full race Stainless system
6. Red (to match the body color) HI/Low beams
7. K&N Filter

(Granted not all of them effect performance)

I had the pc3 mapped out specifically for these mods. Bike runs butter-smooth and at 6000 foot elevation where I live!

gtspd-

It is possible I for a 600 to "beat" a 1000. If:

A) The rider on the 1000 didn't know he was being raced

B)  The 1000 referred to is a 79 CB1000

C) If the 600 is a Suzuki GSXR, and the other bike is a Honda.

SMILE!

Anyway.....I or someone else can look up the max speed for you on the the 600 if you tell us which model he has. As far as the TRE. I plan on doing some testing with mine this spring. ( On and off the bike dyno runs etc. I will post results or sure if someone else doesn't beat me to the punch!)

Corso
Just to confuse the issue
tounge.gif
PaceMaster...a guy from my area who also posts here dyno'ed his bike with his tre switched on and off....and he lost a horsepower or so with the tre on(and I've heard the same results from other folks online). I also read in a small online mag somewhere that they claimed they gained a horsepower or so on 2 test bikes with the tre (which I've also heard other places). I've also heard quite abit that the tre hurts 1/4 mile times. So who's to really know?
wink.gif
One of lifes great mysteries I think.........
If you really want the answer ask JohnnyCheese.....I guarantee you he'll know....................(stir stir stir the pot)
devil.gif

the tre seemed to smooth out my off idle response, it's alot smoother throttle response riding around town. well at least on my bike it is.

and also in case you didnt know, a tre is nothing more than a 6.8k ohm resistor wired in, the tre's you buy for 25.00 or so are nothing more than a 15 or 20cent resistor wired up to factory plugs.   but if your not into wireing they make it alot easyer to do the mod.  i used a tre kit from jeffs? http://www.jsdproducts.com/  it came with the resistor and all the parts needed to make a tre, i  think it was about 10.00 dollars, still alot for a twenty cent resistor but i thought it was worth it because i didnt know where to get the factory plugs,

<!--EDIT|brianm767
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113113828 -->

I fitted a 6.8k resistor and a switch to experiment.

The only diff I could OBJECTIVELY notice was smoother cold running just after start(richer mix).

I flipped that thing in and out in all sorts of conditionds and really couldn't say I noticed much changes at all.

As for the "stumble" at low revs, what stumble? I really haven't noticed.

For timing changes I will be installing the PCIIIusb timing module later. I dont see the point in locking the bike into 1 fuel map and lose the flexibility of multimapping.

My real gripe about TRE's are the totally crap stories sellers use to flog these things to the unsuspecting public.

"suddenly my bike was pulling wheelies and doing burnouts everywhere!" is one piece of bulls$*# that comes to mind.

If anyone wants to know what a TRE will do to their low end performance, go to Radio Shack and buy a resistor for 2cents, a switch for a dollar, pop the pin of the pink wire out of the plug on the ECM side, tie it to the black via the switch and resistor, test (ie rpm drop with clutch out in N), tape the bloddy switch to the bars and make up your own mind.

This method is dirt cheap, takes 20 min to do and you dont have to rely on the opinions of others.

If your happy spending the money on these things thats fine, there just not for me.

Cheers
Ross

smile.gif

Back