TRE Question

domestictuner

Donating Member
Registered
Is the TRE worth having, just looking through the boards there are some likes and some disslikes, does it affect, or is it affected by other mods (pipe, power commander, etc) If it matters it is for a 2003. Thanks

What are setting your busa up for besides street riding, ya know the future extra curricular activities of your busa.......

Drags,  Long high speed runs 170mph++, twisties,  mostly street but ocassionally run the dude beside you, like to ride wheelies often, etc

Then you can get some advice on which way to go with the TRE

<!--EDIT|BusaReds
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107901804 -->

mostly street, riding with friends, and lets say putting the busa to good use on the street. i may drag it this summer just to get a time slip with it, not a big priority.
near future mods include: airfilter, pair valve removal, hmf exhaust, pc3, TRE?

<!--EDIT|domestictuner
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107906089 -->

I tried a TRE on my 2004 busa....and at my altitude (5000+ ft) it actually hurt the bikes throttle response, made it waaay too abrupt...but it did nothing for acceleration or low end power, and gave it a stumble at highway speed. I think its mainly for removing the top-speed restriction and helping the 2002 and back busa's with the stumble they had off idle. The 2003's and up have a 32 bit computer vs the older 16 bit and don't really have any stumbles to fix. I wouldn't bother if I was you...:)

Yip I believe the TRE's are a rip.......
unless you are doin some serious high speed runs thats where they help you

one last question, it says it make the computer think it is in 5 gear all the time, and it says it unrestircts the lower gear power aswell, is this just fixing the stuttering on the 2002+\/ , if it is actually unrestricting the lower gears is this something a Pwr cmdr can do?
Thanks for the info

one last question, it says it make the computer think it is in 5 gear all the time, and it says it unrestircts the lower gear power aswell, is this just fixing the stuttering on the 2002+\/  , if it is actually unrestricting the lower gears is this something a Pwr cmdr can do?
Thanks for the info
The TRE is supposed to "fix" the softer timing advance curves Suzuki put in the lower gears to help keep the Busa controllable. Yes it does tell the bike its in fifth all the time, and is supposed to help the 02's and back with the stumble according to some older busa owners here on the board. But at almost a mile high it did nothing for my 04 but make the buttery smooth low end throttle response jagged. And hurt my highway throttle response. You can get them for 30 bucks online.....its a cheap experiment....and if your at sea level it might be diff for you. Honestly I'd try it for myself if I was you....you might think you notice a diff at first....but pay attention to the change in off idle throttle response....it hurt the driveability of mine alot. And try a few 6th gear 70 mph roll-ons and see how it feels......then take it off and try again. I'm curious how it feels for someone closer to sea level. Unfortunately locking the bikes pc in 5th all the time removes its ability to adjust for the diff gears/loads/speeds you encounter...which is why I think it hurt my driveability at my altitude.  Good luck either way...and let us know what you decide  
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
PS The Power-CommanderIIIR will also adjust your timing.

<!--EDIT|The Big Red One
Reason for Edit: None given...|1108034740 -->

I've got an 05 with a Smart TRE. I bought it because I bought a bike that can do 200mph and I'll be darned if a stupid "limiter" is gonna limit the speed to 185mph!
I HAVE done 180+mph (GPS) runs, and I'm glad I got the TRE.
If you're one of the few who actually WILL do top end runs, then get the TRE, if not, you can have it just so you can say, "Yeah, the newer Busa's are limited to 185mph... but not mine. I've got a TRE... It stands for Timing Restrictor Eliminator".
Anyways, from my personal experience, I've found that the TRE really doesn't do anything for the bike except when going 180+mph. If you're never gonna take it up there, and you don't need the braggin rights, then my suggestion is don't get it.
Oh, and one more thing, breaking 180+mph feels REAL good. Definitely worth the price of the TRE
cool.gif

Dont need it,IMO the long distance, high speed runs only for dare devils! Very liitle room for mistake at those speeds.5-6 second blasts,ok so long as theres not alot of traffic.:)

I've got an 05 with a Smart TRE. I bought it because I bought a bike that can do 200mph and I'll be darned if a stupid "limiter" is gonna limit the speed to 185mph!
If you're one of the few who actually WILL do top end runs, then get the TRE, if not, you can have it just so you can say, "Yeah, the newer Busa's are limited to 185mph... but not mine. I've got a TRE... It stands for Timing Restrictor Eliminator".
Anyways, from my personal experience, I've found that the TRE really doesn't do anything for the bike except when going 180+mph. If you're never gonna take it up there, and you don't need the braggin rights, then my suggestion is don't get it.
Oh, and one more thing, breaking 180+mph feels REAL good. Definitely worth the price of the TRE
cool.gif
lol...
tounge.gif
wink.gif

All-

I did put one on my 04. Couldn't honestly feel any difference. I would like to hear from more members as to if the "stumble" off idle was supposed to be cured by 04.

In all honesty, my Busa does not accelerate hard enough for me. It may just be the feel of the bike being more stable, but I have had several GSXRs which felt "quicker".

I too have seen the upper end. But I don't really care about top end. I like the snap, and the short distant burst. If the TRE hurts that in any way, I'd like to hear it so I can take it off!!!

Thanks-
Ryan

All-

I did put one on my 04. Couldn't honestly feel any difference. I would like to hear from more members as to if the "stumble" off idle was supposed to be cured by 04.

In all honesty, my Busa does not accelerate hard enough for me. It may just be the feel of the bike being more stable, but I have had several GSXRs which felt "quicker".

I too have seen the upper end. But I don't really care about top end. I like the snap, and the short distant burst. If the TRE hurts that in any way, I'd like to hear it so I can take it off!!!

Thanks-
Ryan
I live a mile up in elevation, and my 04 has had perfect throttle response from the get go...as good or better than any FI car I've ever driven. I put the TRE on strictly to see if it gave me any low end power improvement....I have no urge to go over 186 anyways. It didn't do anything but mess up my throttle response...it actually GAVE me a low end stumble...and a cruising speed stumble as well. The 03's and up have the revised 32 bit pc anyways that was supposed to fix the 02 and back stumble....the TRE's only good for top-end now as far as I can see. hope this helps
wink.gif

So from reading various posts it appears the tre does nothing for low end, only helps in passing the 183 or so mph rang and some feel it may even hurt but that's mixed on the low end. I thought I read some where that the Hayabusa had something installed on it to reduce power delivery at the low end, if so what is this device called? It sure doesn't seem like it.

Yip  I believe the TRE's are a rip.......
unless you are doin some serious high speed runs    thats where they help you
That is the specific reason they were built. Not to do smoothing out or changing the performance. They allow you to go faster period. They do other things that can be tuned out by a good tunner.

cool.gif
Breaking 180mph (GPS) you don't need the TRE. Just want to be clear of that fact. 186GPS with out a TRE is possible, after that you need more then the TRE anyway.

So from reading various posts it appears the tre does nothing for low end, only helps in passing the 183 or so mph rang and some feel it may even hurt but that's mixed on the low end.  I thought I read some where that the Hayabusa had something installed on it to reduce power delivery at the low end, if so what is this device called? It sure doesn't seem like it.
You may be talkiing about the clutch slid, that just prevents you from dropping all the power at once. Other then that you will have plenty of power

Thanks Ninja Eater, I will research info on the clutch slid.
I have only had my bike to 183mph at least thats what the speed-O said, at what speed or rmp in 6th gear does the tre kick in?

The guy selling the TRE on eBay clim that it smoothens out the power delivery in the 1-4 th gears! What a con.... I mean cant some one object to their dumb a$$ claims
rock.gif

According to what I had read about them , the TREs function was to nuetralize the advance curve in 1-4 gears. In other words, it was supposed to doop the bike into believing it was in 5th gear at all times, and the advance curve and ignition mapping was to act accordingly. The result is supposed to be faster throttle response on top of the unlimited speed.
Exactly how a fella would test this I have no idea. I would think that a Dyno run with and without would show some difference IF the TRE is actually capable of that change.

Anyway...I'll be pissed if it is true that they do nothing of the sort.

Corso

Back