Thinking about getting a lil-toy hauler.. anyone with some pics?

bigfootatplay

Registered
I love racing but my wife and kids cant take this southern heat. its just too damn hot down here. So insted of getting an enclosed trailer, I'm eaning towards getting a toy hauler. I drive a 03"Suburban and it can handle 7100lbs+ so I have a lil bit to play with. If any of you guys have pics of some different ones please post them so I can see some different set-ups.

thanks.....

2010 Work-N-Play 21UL Toy Hauler for Sale [Stock No. N010566]

This is kinda what I'm looking into.
Image29.jpg

Image29.jpgImage30.jpgImage31.jpgImage32.jpgImage33.jpgImage34.jpgImage35.jpgImage36.jpg

Last edited:
looks nice, will push the suburban to the limits when loaded though. There's a few folks around here with big ole toy haulers so hopefully they chime in soon. :beerchug:

I really like the work and play and was actually what I went to purchase. I is very well insulated and the layout inside is perfect. Even had a glass door on the shower.

The biggest reason I didn't do that route was because of the bunk situation in the garage area. It takes about 6 inches off each side of the towing capacity. Also, if you go with a generator, this unit has to sit on the toungue instead of inside the RV.

Also, like mentioned earlier...you don't want to go to your towing max. Save a little because it will put a strain on your vehicle if maxed out all the time. Also consider another 2000 lbs of bikes, atvs, cargo, etc. You know you'll have to have a couple flat screens~!~

Here's what I ended getting for my wife and child to be confortable while I play.

It's about 9500 lbs loaded with cargo and two busa's.

100_1539.jpg

Was looking at the pics on yours and good thing about W&P is some already come with the flat screen tv's installed. While not a complete PITA it does save you some time and money on mounts.

I really like the fiberglass on the W&P models. It's very thick, very strong, and keeps the hot and cold air where it belongs.

The one you are looking at is a 21 foot. That should be well within your towing range on the suburban I would think. Check for water and black/gray water capacities. A lot of tracks may not have full hookups and once you, your wife, your child, and whoever else start hitting that shower it simply doesn't last very long.

Mine has 80 gallon fresh capacity and same on gray and black devided. 4 days at a race and sometimes we have to drain bad stuff and refill the good stuff. Something to think about.

If you don't have a spot with electric hookups, might as well splurge for a generator. Your wife is going to need that AC and TV. This model is usually prewired for one, but sits on the toungue and looks kinda ugly, also in the weather.

Gens are way more expensive from the RV dealer, however if you go with a gen from Lowes, etc...some camp grounds will not let you run them since they are not installed into your trailer unit. You also then have to carry this around which takes up part of your cargo room and then set it up when you need to use.

Last edited:
PS: Mine is made by the same company. I think Forest River is a good brand to go with.

Damn Outlawbusa,
Thats BALLIN... I would need a dually to get that one. Trying to stay within my budget. The 21ft is like 5700lbs, I plan on getting rid of my Suburban later for a Chevy Quadcab 2500 pickup later on.

A good feature that W&P started in 2009 is the wind breaker nose. They say that helps some on the gas mileage.

Have you looked at the black ones? Sweet~!~

Thats why I started this post. I dont know jack about campers and need all the help I can get. I like the Work-N Play's because they didnt look cheezy like some of the others.

I will take a look at the black ones too. Thanks....

Well, after you discuss your pricing and get down to settling a deal...ask the dealer to throw in a weight distribution hitch. If you have to pay for one, be careful, they'll charge you about $500 smackers for one. You can go to gander or somewhere like that and pick a decent one up for about $200 - $250. The dealer can usually toss one in though if you didn't steal too much already, LoL.

You'll find that you need one. The toy haulers have the axle set further to the rear than a standard RV camper unit (to handle the cargo area weight better) and that gives you more toungue weight on the rear of your vehicle. You'll be looking into helper springs or air bags etc...but if you get this hitch it usually all goes away. :beerchug:

At the very least it'll help a lot~!~

(Toungue weight on my unit is 1300 lbs)

Last edited:
This pic right here is the biggest reason I did not go with the W&P model. You have to think about the bike or whatever cargo you are carrying. If you take this to the track, you will need to unload everything from the rear...and do what with it, leave it outside over the weekend?

I park the bikes back up in the rear on mine. The rear bunk is actually above the cargo area, that's why the roof is so tall.

Also, when you tow your bike/s you will loose at least 6 inches on each side of the cargo area because of the folded up bunks, then you have to watch about a bunk falling or the legs scratching your ride.

Don't want to discourage you~!~!~!~ These are just a few things I thought about when I was looking.

Oops, forgot the pic.

Don't mean to ramble on and on...just thought you might appreciate some insite.

hauler bunk.jpg

One more thing I want to add...and this may be one of the most important things you'll ever do in your life.

Get an electric jack on the front~!!~

Most of these come with that daggone wind up jack. If you don't want to sweat your but off on a 90 degree day, spend the extra $200 for an electric jack. Using a weight dist hitch requires that you jack it up twice when hooking up to your vehicle.

If the dealer does not throw this in, then he most likely wont charge the labor to install it. Life saver~!~

PS: Mine is made by the same company. I think Forest River is a good brand to go with.

I will second Forest River as a good company. My parents have a Forest River Tsunami and it's one of the nicest RVs they have had yet. It's not a park model but the quality is pretty close.

Back