The root of our societal problems starts at home.

So in one breath with regards to outside influences and socitity we say "that is all non-sense non-sence" and the parents are to blame.

In another breath we talk about "lets all get pregnant" groups and TV shows that depict teen moms.

Why would TV shows and "lets all get pregnant" groups matter if it is parenting that supposedly determines the outcome.

I am saying it is a combination of all those things, to include the personal make-up of the child, but to write off any of them as "non-sence" is near-sighted and limits the ability to actually help correct the situation.

the fact that millions of young people watch tv, listen to music and yet only a small percentage of them become teen/single parents....shows that it is not the media, tv and movies.

yet, the number of teen parents both male and female overwhelmingly have parents that were teen parents.....

pregnancy pacts, have come into media spotlight of late.....but where was that media coverage 9 months ago, when these girls decided to get pregnant?

no media coverage....

in fact teen pregnancy was at its highest in 1991 at 117 births per 1000 young women.....and dropped every year until 2003 where it was 1bout 75 per every 1000. 2006 numbers seem to show a 3% rise, but that is still 30% less than in the 90's.

the fact that millions of young people watch tv, listen to music and yet only a small percentage of them become teen/single parents....shows that it is not the media, tv and movies.

yet, the number of teen parents both male and female overwhelmingly have parents that were teen parents.....

pregnancy pacts, have come into media spotlight of late.....but where was that media coverage 9 months ago, when these girls decided to get pregnant?

no media coverage....

in fact teen pregnancy was at its highest in 1991 at 117 births per 1000 young women.....and dropped every year until 2003 where it was 1bout 75 per every 1000. 2006 numbers seem to show a 3% rise, but that is still 30% less than in the 90's.

Well is it the parents or that there is no longer a stigma attached to teen parenting?

If teen pregnancy has dropped is it really a significant issue? We (the US) have the highest teen pregnancy rate in the industrialized world so something about our approach is not working. Seems like blaming the parents is easy but is really solves nothing.

I don't really understand your point.

If you want to see something really funny! Go to child support court and watch these women with the multiple kids by multiple men..

I think a lot of new laws should be made to change this kind of racket. One of them should be if you file for support on one person you can't fill for a second unless you agree to be spayed. :laugh:

All you have to do to see where we are going as a country is watch:
Maury Povich !

DNA test every day....

Jonathan.......YOU ARE THE FATHER OF......aAAAAHHHH GUY RUNS AWAY . Girl lays there crying. Momma goes crazy. Blah Blah BLah.

If you want to see something really funny! Go to child support court and watch these women with the multiple kids by multiple men..

I think a lot of new laws should be made to change this kind of racket. One of them should be if you file for support on one person you can't fill for a second unless you agree to be spayed. :laugh:

never happen: womens rights groups would be all over it screaming about reproductive freedom, etc.

I dont think they should be required to be fixed, they should be required to be careful. If they get pregnant again, it should be made clear that the state will not support the additional child/children.

Well is it the parents or that there is no longer a stigma attached to teen parenting?

If teen pregnancy has dropped is it really a significant issue? We (the US) have the highest teen pregnancy rate in the industrialized world so something about our approach is not working. Seems like blaming the parents is easy but is really solves nothing.

I don't really understand your point.

what was confusing?

never happen: womens rights groups would be all over it screaming about reproductive freedom, etc.

I dont think they should be required to be fixed, they should be required to be careful. If they get pregnant again, it should be made clear that the state will not support the additional child/children.

Free food (Food stamps); free board (Welfare), now free healthcare (NOT! :cheerleader:); what the heck, why not?

Free food (Food stamps); free board (Welfare), now free healthcare (NOT! :cheerleader:); what the heck, why not?
awww isn't "WelFree" better than working for a living? really cant you afford to support me? :)

I tend to agree but you can't discount the negative messages\influences sent to young people by outside sources. Kids are bombarded with so much crap and it continues on into adulthood. Even good parents can be undermined by the media. It is sad really.

Totally agree! I've always thought I was a very good parent. Struct in almost every means. Raised my daughter to the best I could. Now I'm going to be a grandfather. Kills me and now I can't stop thinking "what did I do wrong or what could i've done better". Too late for that now. I just have to go with the flow now!

Free police services, free emergency services, free secondary education, free highways....

You own a home? Yes they bill....it's in your taxes, even if you never need the services - kinda like insurance. In fact our FD is trying to get a 50% tax hike so they can buy a new engine. From the looks of what they already have they have nicer equipment than 90% of the vehicles in the area - they're meticulously cleaned and maintained. Fire chief has an ego problem and needs a shiny new truck to make him feel better.

I suppose if you rent you technically don't pay for the service, but in essence you do because your rent goes to the landlord who pays the taxes...so...... :laugh:

If everything was free we wouldn't need to work! :cheerleader: Oh, wait...if no one is working who's money will we spend? :whistle:

My :2cents:

Not blowing my own (and my wifes) horn but...
I have two kids, my oldest daughter is 24, graduates with a teaching degree
this May and will be married in the same month. She has very high moral fiber,
I could tell you stories...
My Son is 23 and single. Still lives at home but works, good job full time. He
has a large truck payment but is very good with his money otherwise, saved several
thousand and is working hard to try to get out from under his truck. I believe...
his goal is get out from under the truck to get his own place and pop the question
to his girlfriend (been pretty serious for a while)....very admirable and responsible IMHO.

Both kids are truely outstanding.
I say I don't want to blow my horn...because it wasn't so much me, as they
were raised very heavily into the Church, youth groups etc...that's where
most of their friends are.

We push God out, out of our schools and hand out condoms...??? Our society
has no moral fiber, even the adults are about selfish, selfserving, moments of
personal pleasure and desire...and it's everything from the new tv we can't afford
to the SUV we finance for 7 years to the neighbors wife (or husband) down the
street. We deny ourselves...nothing. It's all a quest for instant gratification...
and what's OUR divorce rate? Lets look in the mirror, shall we.

Look at Tiger Woods...PRIME Example. That's why I go off on him so much...
And our OWN BOARD MEMBERS go..."what? He didn't do nothing...nothing we all
wouldn't do"...TA-DAH (that attitudesays volumes). We should be
kicking his :moon: and he should be truely ashamed not only for himself but
THE EXAMPLE HE SETS...need I mention Clinton...he was the PRESIDENT :banghead:

Lastly, a small morsel of advice to any new fathers...I always told my daughter
to make sure she picks a career and get her degree...FIRST. To not totally
count on another (Man) for your existance. Get the degree and the career,
then you enter the relationship on the same plain as an equal. It gives a
different dynamic to a relationship. I am very pleased to see her follow that
advice :thumbsup:

My :2cents:

Not blowing my own (and my wifes) horn but...
I have two kids, my oldest daughter is 24, graduates with a teaching degree
this May and will be married in the same month. She has very high moral fiber,
I could tell you stories...
My Son is 23 and single. Still lives at home but works, good job full time. He
has a large truck payment but is very good with his money otherwise, saved several
thousand and is working hard to try to get out from under his truck. I believe...
his goal is get out from under the truck to get his own place and pop the question
to his girlfriend (been pretty serious for a while)....very admirable and responsible IMHO.

Both kids are truely outstanding.
I say I don't want to blow my horn...because it wasn't so much me, as they
were raised very heavily into the Church, youth groups etc...that's where
most of their friends are.

We push God out, out of our schools and hand out condoms...??? Our society
has no moral fiber, even the adults are about selfish, selfserving, moments of
personal pleasure and desire...and it's everything from the new tv we can't afford
to the SUV we finance for 7 years to the neighbors wife (or husband) down the
street. We deny ourselves...nothing. It's all a quest for instant gratification...
and what's OUR divorce rate? Lets look in the mirror, shall we.

Look at Tiger Woods...PRIME Example. That's why I go off on him so much...
And our OWN BOARD MEMBERS go..."what? He didn't do nothing...nothing we all
wouldn't do"...TA-DAH (that attitudesays volumes). We should be
kicking his :moon: and he should be truely ashamed not only for himself but
THE EXAMPLE HE SETS...need I mention Clinton...he was the PRESIDENT :banghead:

Lastly, a small morsel of advice to any new fathers...I always told my daughter
to make sure she picks a career and get her degree...FIRST. To not totally
count on another (Man) for your existance. Get the degree and the career,
then you enter the relationship on the same plain as an equal. It gives a
different dynamic to a relationship. I am very pleased to see her follow that
advice :thumbsup:

:clap: By the way, good to have you back! :thumbsup:

churchs are filled morally corupt people.....

its cool if god, scares into doing the right thing.

however not all of us need that type of fear to be a good person.

churchs are filled morally corupt people.....

its cool if god, scares into doing the right thing.

however not all of us need that type of fear to be a good person.

Couldnt have said it better myself, afterhours. In fact, I said the exact same thing to the friend i went to WV with on Monday. I think my wording was "I dont need a theological boogeyman to let me know whats right, and I dont need him to MAKE me do the right thing, either."

Free police services, free emergency services, free secondary education, free highways....

No part of my original post or your response is free for me because I PAY TAXES. Nobody in my original post pays a penny in taxes, and yet, gets a check....

Back