The root of our societal problems starts at home.

Yes but still I dont think Wally or the beav will be having kids early or out of wedlock..:rofl:

MaYYYYYbe Eddie Hascal...cuz he was the greaser....

Not real people but approx the point in time when we made a LEFT turn AND GOT LOST AS A COUNTRY...

Last edited:
adolescents and teenagers have been bombarded by "negative" influences since the beginning of time... just a case of "who" is branding the influence as "negative"

Music is a perfect example.. the violence of cartoons will turn your kids into killers, video games are a bad influence, rock and roll is the work of the devil, RAP ruins everything..

almost all totally rubbish... good parents stay involved with their kids and work through these outside influences with them...

If the parent is lucky, the genetics are there for a healthy well adjusted kid.. (yea I said genetics).. Parenting is most critical and a total failure of such does not promise a failed kid.. but the odds sure go up...

I think it starts pretty early (like in the womb, with diet, drug abuse, smoking, alcohol)... Some of the most consistent problems about kids I have heard actually come from "Adopted" kids.. You can not tell me the parents did not want them.. but yet the kids turns out to be a crook or what ever..

Seems kids from larger close knit family's do pretty well overall... while only children tend to be "their own way" too (whiny comes to mind)

I am glad for our kids... a PHD, a nurse and a model....

I think the key is stay engaged with your kids and family, do stuff together and forget about the TV as a babysitter....

A Model? You been holding out on some pics Randy?

Of course, I understand it's a death sentence if I post that she's "hot" :laugh:

adolescents and teenagers have been bombarded by "negative" influences since the beginning of time... just a case of "who" is branding the influence as "negative"

Music is a perfect example.. the violence of cartoons will turn your kids into killers, video games are a bad influence, rock and roll is the work of the devil, RAP ruins everything..

almost all totally rubbish... good parents stay involved with their kids and work through these outside influences with them...

If the parent is lucky, the genetics are there for a healthy well adjusted kid.. (yea I said genetics).. Parenting is most critical and a total failure of such does not promise a failed kid.. but the odds sure go up...

I think it starts pretty early (like in the womb, with diet, drug abuse, smoking, alcohol)... Some of the most consistent problems about kids I have heard actually come from "Adopted" kids.. You can not tell me the parents did not want them.. but yet the kids turns out to be a crook or what ever..

Seems kids from larger close knit family's do pretty well overall... while only children tend to be "their own way" too (whiny comes to mind)

I am glad for our kids... a PHD, a nurse and a model....

I think the key is stay engaged with your kids and family, do stuff together and forget about the TV as a babysitter....

If the media has no influence on people's behavior then why is so much money spent on marketing?

this always makes me wonder.....

what happened to parents?

everybody wants to blame something. its the internet, its the media, its the lack of morality in society....that is all non-sense.

why?

because there are still quality young men and women being raised.

it takes parents, not friends. strong role models and dicipline not a buddy. one of the biggest problem is that by the time people see the signs its too late. it is almost impossible to teach your teenager morals, the time for that was when they were younger.

you don't teach a 14-18 year old responsability, you teach it at 5 years old.....

PS: if you don't like the way teenagers dress, stop giving them the money to buy clothes. if you don't like what they do on the internet, turn off the DSL. you want them to stop texting thier friends and spend time with the family....take away the cell.

the problem with todays youth, is todays parents.

My receptionist has 3 children by 3 different fathers. She has a relatively stable home life now after 20 years of bouncing back and forth between men and having their children here and there. Yesterday she tells me that her daughter (19yrs old) is pregnant with her 3rd child...all from the same kid. This is the same kid that is high most every time you see him and has spent several weeks in jail for random B.S., including driving on a suspended license and breaking and entering a vehicle. He currently is in jail, and even when he is out, he will never drive again...not at least anywhere but work perhaps. He cheats on her regularly and leaves their home (government subsidized apartment) for nights on end.

Here's the irony. My receptionist is telling me how angry she is about this new pregnancy and how irresponsible her daughter is being. I want to get a mirror for her so that she can look at herself while saying this. And to top it all off, her daughter is bragging about her pregnancy on MySpace.

Ignorance breeds ignorance. As long as this cycle continues, we will never become a self-reliant nation again. We will always look to the government for help and continue to pro-create without a thought about how these children will fare in the real world.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

1013 posts.....do I get a toaster now or what? :p

I agree, I also add that all the dads here are just or even more irresponsible, a little protection goes a long way.

I agree, it take two to tango....but more times than not, it's the female that decides to keep the baby instead of adopting it out to a good family. And while I don't support abortion per say, sometimes I wonder if it's better than the alternative. I know that awful to say.....

I agree, it take two to tango....but more times than not, it's the female that decides to keep the baby instead of adopting it out to a good family. And while I don't support abortion per say, sometimes I wonder if it's better than the alternative. I know that awful to say.....

agreed....

since we are going down this path, i think that most of the problem is that being a young, single mother has lost its stigma. single mother were looked down on by society, forced to leave H.S., etc....

today its accepted, we are told not to judge...we build day-care facilities at H.S. and Jr. Highs we spend millions and millions of dollars givng them aid, educating them and giving thier children health care....

its just not that big of a deal anymore.

agreed....

since we are going down this path, i think that most of the problem is that being a young, single mother has lost its stigma. single mother were looked down on by society, forced to leave H.S., etc....

today its accepted, we are told not to judge...we build day-care facilities at H.S. and Jr. Highs we spend millions and millions of dollars givng them aid, educating them and giving thier children health care....

I agree with this....I am shocked to see that MTV carries a show called "Teen Mom" now. I know I shouldn't be shocked, and perhaps the initial intent is to show kids today how hard life is if you have a child too young, but what I see (yes, I watched some of it because I think I was just shocked it's even a show) young couples going through what we all go through, and some get the free ride, their Moms take care of the baby, they get to go party. This isn't sending a good msg to anyone IMHO...that it's a show is appalling to me...

agreed....

:agree:

are there not groups of girls that form some kind of "lets all get pregnant" groups? sounds like stigma went to badge of honor...

agreed....

this always makes me wonder.....

what happened to parents?

everybody wants to blame something. its the internet, its the media, its the lack of morality in society....that is all non-sense.

why?

because there are still quality young men and women being raised.

it takes parents, not friends. strong role models and dicipline not a buddy. one of the biggest problem is that by the time people see the signs its too late. it is almost impossible to teach your teenager morals, the time for that was when they were younger.

you don't teach a 14-18 year old responsability, you teach it at 5 years old.....

PS: if you don't like the way teenagers dress, stop giving them the money to buy clothes. if you don't like what they do on the internet, turn off the DSL. you want them to stop texting thier friends and spend time with the family....take away the cell.

the problem with todays youth, is todays parents.

I agree with this....I am shocked to see that MTV carries a show called "Teen Mom" now. I know I shouldn't be shocked, and perhaps the initial intent is to show kids today how hard life is if you have a child too young, but what I see (yes, I watched some of it because I think I was just shocked it's even a show) young couples going through what we all go through, and some get the free ride, their Moms take care of the baby, they get to go party. This isn't sending a good msg to anyone IMHO...that it's a show is appalling to me...

:agree:

are there not groups of girls that form some kind of "lets all get pregnant" groups? sounds like stigma went to badge of honor...

So in one breath with regards to outside influences and socitity we say "that is all non-sense non-sence" and the parents are to blame.

In another breath we talk about "lets all get pregnant" groups and TV shows that depict teen moms.

Why would TV shows and "lets all get pregnant" groups matter if it is parenting that supposedly determines the outcome.

I am saying it is a combination of all those things, to include the personal make-up of the child, but to write off any of them as "non-sence" is near-sighted and limits the ability to actually help correct the situation.

I still believe everything starts at home and parents/guardians have the responsibility to guide their children, not friends, not media, not teachers. Parents; doesn't mean that always works, but that's where we begin. What WE do as parents helps dictate what effect all other outside influences may have on our children...

I still believe everything starts at home and parents/guardians have the responsibility to guide their children, not friends, not media, not teachers. Parents; doesn't mean that always works, but that's where we begin. What WE do as parents helps dictate what effect all other outside influences may have on our children...

Exactly, but just because, friends, teachers, and media don't have a responsibility to influence kids doesn't mean that our kids aren't tremendously influenced by them.

Also our responsibility as parents NEVER stops because outside influences NEVER cease. It is extremely nearsighted to think that the bombardment of outside negative crap has no effect on our kids or even us and the choices we make.

Exactly, but just because, friends, teachers, and media don't have a responsibility to influence kids doesn't mean that our kids aren't tremendously influenced by them.

Also our responsibility as parents NEVER stops because outside influences NEVER cease. It is extremely nearsighted to think that the bombardment of outside negative crap has no effect on our kids or even us and the choices we make.

I agree, and I never said it should all be ignored Dino...just that it starts (and ends) at home. If you see something is adversely influencing your child, as a parent, you do what you can to change that influence... :thumbsup:

I agree, and I never said it should all be ignored Dino...just that it starts (and ends) at home. If you see something is adversely influencing your child, as a parent, you do what you can to change that influence... :thumbsup:

I know we are on the same page. :thumbsup:

Back