The oil spill Good pics of the problem

It shouldn't sadden you that I like to have the facts before I make a judgement. I don't assume corporations to be evil, and I tend to hope that should my company ever make a mistake that people don't judge me without the facts either.

But make no mistake, if I find evidence that BP did what you claim, I won't hesitate to boycott them to the fullest extent.

Question for you.....And please this is not an attack...just curious.

When the Exxon Valdez "accident" happened....what were your thoughts on that? Did you continue to support their product, as techinically it was the fault of the Captain and not the company as a whole?

For me it was a no brainer......and they've never received one penny of my business ever since! Just as BP never will now.

For the record, I will not be offended by anything said here, as I realize I am taking the minority view on this topic.

I will not penalize a company for an accident unless they fail to make attempts to repair the damage. Exxon spent $3 billion dollars to clean up the coast of Alaska, so no, I will not boycott them for a poor hiring decision. Mistakes happen, poor judgement happens, but intentional neglect is a different story. Exxon had no intention of hiring a drunk, nor did they have any intention of running a ship aground.

The jury is still out on BP, and unless they are found guilty of some sort of intentional neglect (which is entirely possible), I will continue to patronize them as often as necessary.

How does this grab you?
Local radio had a caller today provide some insight to what's taking so long to stop the flow of oil from the damaged well head. The caller stated that if BP were to blow the well head they would forfeit the drilling rights at that site. Things may have changed now, but their initial focus was not on how to stop the flow, but how to capture oil spilling out from the head, regain control and resume pumping oil from the site.

How does this grab you?
Local radio had a caller today provide some insight to what's taking so long to stop the flow of oil from the damaged well head. The caller stated that if BP were to blow the well head they would forfeit the drilling rights at that site. Things may have changed now, but their initial focus was not on how to stop the flow, but how to capture oil spilling out from the head, regain control and resume pumping oil from the site.

Amen!

More truth!

A radio caller is not what I consider a hard fact. If this is the best we have, then I'm afraid my opinion remains the same.

And again, if blowing the well were AT ALL POSSIBLE, why has the government not done anything to make this happen? This is where the government is Constitutionally obliged to step in. This is a matter of general welfare.

A radio caller is not what I consider a hard fact. If this is the best we have, then I'm afraid my opinion remains the same.

And again, if blowing the well were AT ALL POSSIBLE, why has the government not done anything to make this happen? This is where the government is Constitutionally obliged to step in. This is a matter of general welfare.

Oh trust me....I hold them to quite a bit of resposibility as well! No question for me that they were probably well aware of the fact that BP was attempting to salvage the portal in the 1st few weeks. We couldn't have any of our precious black gold going to waste now could we!? :banghead:

It's also probably why they haven't stepped in & taken control, they're afraid that could come to light.

it just sickens me that this has been going on for over a month. The short and long term destruction this will cause can't even be measured.

I have a strong feeling the government isn't stepping in because this lends to their cause of not drilling in the gulf.

What a better way to get the public's attention and on their side.

There are a few points to consider prior to making hasty judgements. Lets face it, we have made so much progress in other areas, yet here we are still using fossilised fuels that were first used over a hundred years ago to power our toys.

1. All the easy accessible oil has been recovered. To keep the petrol consumers happy, they need to explore or drill for the harder to get stuff.
2. No oil company has experienced this problem at this depth before. Anything that they try to stem the flow is new and untested.
3. Historically, all the detergents and other solvents used to disperse the oil cause more damage to the marine life and eco system then the oil leak itself.
4. Millions of barrels of oil are leaking from the ocean floor every year. This oils dissipates naturally in the sea. Granted the leak off the Gulf coast is more localised, and therefore has the shock value.
5. Until we find an alternative fuel for our Busas. Oil companies will continue to take the risks in trying to recover the hard to get to Black stuff at even greater depths.
6 BP or any company for that matter does need the bad press that his kind of situation brings. I am pretty sure they are trying all they can to stem the flow.
7. The oil companies are the best people to sort out this mess, not governments, who simply do not have the expertise or the know how.
8. Accident happen. We can only hope that any damage caused to the eco system on the Gulf Coast is kept to a minimum.
9.Was there any protest by the people of the Gulf coasts with regards to drilling for oil close to there the coast line, or did the oil companies run roughshod over there protests?

Just a couple of thoughts to chew over.

So sad... we took our boat out to Ship Island this past weekend... to enjoy its beauty before it is also affected by the oil... We saw so many dolphins swimming alongside the boat. Also manta rays and blue crabs and sand sharks.... It was beautiful.

We also saw a strange film on the water.. in a few places.. we weren't sure if it was oil or not. It wasn't very thick... so I don't think it was oil.. but maybe the residue from the burning.

To think that all of this will be coated in oil in a few weeks is such a disaster :down:

Yep, the good thing, if there is any such notion as a good thing in all of this, is that MS and AL have had a month now to 'get ready' for this. They are talking about sanding in the 'Katrina Gap' on Dauphin Island to keep the oil from getting into the estuaries in the MS Sound along the AL coast... But I think we all know, that when it washes in, it will wash in everywhere. I am not real worried about the beaches, getting it off of raw sand is one thing, getting it out of the estuaries will be damned near impossible.. The northern end of Mobile Bay is the 4th largest estuary in the USofA and I hope that all that boom out there will help keep it outta there.
I wont be boycotting any company over this (I already voted against this administration so nuff said there) but if it gets in my bay, I'll be out there to help clean it in any way that I can!

Yep, the good thing, if there is any such notion as a good thing in all of this, is that MS and AL have had a month now to 'get ready' for this. They are talking about sanding in the 'Katrina Gap' on Dauphin Island to keep the oil from getting into the estuaries in the MS Sound along the AL coast... But I think we all know, that when it washes in, it will wash in everywhere. I am not real worried about the beaches, getting it off of raw sand is one thing, getting it out of the estuaries will be damned near impossible.. The northern end of Mobile Bay is the 4th largest estuary in the USofA and I hope that all that boom out there will help keep it outta there.
I wont be boycotting any company over this (I already voted against this administration so nuff said there) but if it gets in my bay, I'll be out there to help clean it in any way that I can!

As if this administration had anything to do w/ poor equipment and improper emergency response. Laughable.....

7. The oil companies are the best people to sort out this mess, not governments, who simply do not have the expertise or the know how.

To clarify my prior statement, I was not looking to the government to actually put people in the water, but to facilitate and/or mandate the action of BP and other contractors for the purpose.

The Coast Guard is working directly on this, but in a limited capacity. I think their hands must be somewhat tied though.....:banghead:

If this was in another country the US would be all over them... I dont understand why the coast guard, army corp of engineers and evry other agency isnt workin on this :pullhair:

What makes you assume they are not consulting all of those agencies? I suspect that they have every brain and every resource providing ideas to solve this crisis. I think the problem here and with the general public is a perception from lack of news footage that is causing us to assume that nothing is happening.

Another smaller spill occured in Singapore
Tanker Collision Causes Oil Spill Off Singapore - NYTimes.com

One fact and yes it is a fact is that every year approx 40-50 million barrels worth of oil NATURALLY seeps out of the ocean floor in the gulf.
Being that there is not sunlight at that depth organisms and others alike actually feed off of this.
While it does not make right what is happening and nowhere near the fact that the current situation as far as spoiling estuaries and damage goes oil does naturally seep.
This is how they found the reservoir to begin with.
Oil is a natural substance and it will in time break down and things will pass and regenerate.

Again I make no light of it and truly feel sorry for every little bug, bird or organism affected by it as well as feeling sorry for those financially affected by it.

Now one thing they and all others are not even mentioning is the amount of raw natural gas going into the water.
This unseen gas is as some say 3000 times worse than the oil because it is depleting the oxygen levels in the water. This gas cannot be filtered out or collected.
BP say they will gather up every drop of oil, Ok fine but how are they gonna replenish the Oxygen ?
They cant and I cannot believe nobody, nobody, not one fricking person is even mentioning this. Its going to create a 'dead zone' out there where nothing can live !
You see all the bubbles coming up and out ?
Thats natural gas and there is no way to handle it !
None !
Gas Leak 3000 Times Worse Than Oil

makes me ill even seeing such sites, have they said what ramifications this will have on the environment for the future, or do they even have a clue?

makes me ill even seeing such sites, have they said what ramifications this will have on the environment for the future, or do they even have a clue?

An oil disaster of this size has never been experienced before. Anything going forward from here is all a guessing game.

Back