The Ninja1000 drag bike

I've got someone that is taking care of it for me....and editing it too, to help reduce its size.....should have it up tomorrow. Thanks for the offer though!

today I played with the ZX11 rim I picked up...finally test fitted it. Its a little tight and I had to do a little creative shuffling of spacers and rear brake assemblies, but it'll definitely work.

Right now I still have the stock 630 chain on there, and will be calling up sprocket specialties tomorrow to see if I can get a conversion kit for 530.....I'd just slap on a ZRX front sprocket and call it done, but I have to have the same offset that the stock Ninja1000 sprocket has.....makes it kinda tricky. Otherwise my rim spacing would be all messed up.

In the pics I have a ZRX1100 caliper assembly on, although I think I can make the stock caliper setup work with a litttle more spacer playing. The right eccentric had to be pushed out a tad, but thats pretty livable IMO. Of course, after I extend the swing arm, I'll compensate for this, but for now, I just want some good rubber in the rear.

I have a used tire for this rim at work, I'll probably run it over there and slap it on and see how it works....for now, I think I can swap over the stock rear sprocket onto the ZX11 rim, it appears to be the same bolt pattern, only difference being the Ninja1000 uses large bolts. Shouldn't matter....but I'll try swapping it here before putting it on to make sure it'll work.

Gonna look pretty bad assed once I get this rim on and the front end swap over! I might not be able to call it a rat bike after that.....not
smile.gif

finished up the rear tire swap and shock install.

Before:

After:

I thought it came out pretty good. Looks pretty sweet. I can't wait to finish swapping over the front end!

It rides a little stiffer than I'd prefer, but I'm not really complaining. Its much much better than the stock shock was, and the important thing is, I set this one up to be adjustable. With little time/work, I can drop the rear end and still maintain suspension.

This is how I made it happen, the shock I used was a stock ZZR1200 shock that I got off ebay. I made this bracket out of some scrap aluminum I had to mount the lower end of the shock, and left the "tabs" running up the side so I could adjust it down. I haven't drilled the holes yet for the lowered position. This current location puts it just a hair higher than stock, which I prefer for normal street riding.

This was done with MIG spool gun....not the prettiest, but I made it very beefy. I didn't want it breaking on me, and I'm pretty confident it won't be doing that
smile.gif

Still waiting on my clip ons, was really hoping to see them this week, but alas, they aren't here, so next week!

updates are coming slower because I'm running out of fun things to do!

Tore it down to do the front end swap, and this is turning into a big nightmare! Well, a lot more involved than I was planning anyway.

To refresh the memory, I'm swapping out the entire front end for a ~1990 FZR600. Why? Cause I have one laying around, its smaller, lighter and most important, has a real radial tire on it.

The triple tree stems were of course different diameters and wouldn't just bolt right on. So I kicked some cash to cmikimoto to do some magic with the lathe and press, and thought I was all good to go. But then the lower bearing exploded on me and even though the bearings they use on the ZX1000A are THE most universal bearings on kawasakis, used on at least 20 other models....I had a real hard time finding one in stock. Finally found one that wasn't a week out, got it installed and the damn thing fell apart the first time I turned it upside down. Talk about annoying....spent 20 minutes with a tub of grease trying to put it back together....eventually got it and then oh so carefully transported it home and bolted that sucker in before it could cause me any more headaches.

Then discovered that the FZR forks are pre 90 and hte brakes are post 90. Great....calipers don't mount up. I have a set of post 90 forks, but the tubes are bent, so I'm gonna hafta swap over the lower fork assemblies. Thats my project for tomorrow. You can see the sweet aftermarket clipon's I got....really like them. Got them from Pro-Flo for $120. I wanted to get a set of FZR clip ons but kept getting outbidded on ebay. But thats OK, I like these even if they did cost me a bit of money.

Swapping over to a ZX6 throttle housing, which is a world better than the stock setup. Also swapping the kill switch assembly to a ZX6. Completely rewiring everything on the bike, removing much of the harness.....just reducing it to the bare bone necessity stuff....no more headlight module, fan module, ignition switch and many other useless stuff. The ignition will be switched via the kill switch thru a relay.

I got the guage cluster all figured out, although I didn't take any pictures yet because I haven't made all the brackets for it yet, but it'll look way better than the stock cluster.

I also played with lowering the forks in the triples to make sure I was going to a) be able to get it as low as I wanted without radiator interference.....no problem there....I have to remove my fan assembly to make enough room, but I wasn't planning on running the fans when at the strip anyway. Just three bolts hold it on, so its a real quick job to pull the fans. b) wanted to see if I could get the turbo catch can skimming the ground at its lowest for setting, and thats exactly where it puts it. Score! Not bad for eyeballing everything....

Can't wait to get this thing back on the road! She's going to handle 10 times better with this front end...and it going to look hot!

BTW, I finally have a date set for the first drag test on this bike. Sept 30'th is the day. Bremerton is having a test and tune all day, and there will likely be hardly anybody out there. One of the last T&T there, and very few competitions afterwards...so I'm hoping I'll have the track to myself. So I'll finally be able to put down some numbers and see what I can do. I'm going to bring the ZRX also and run it too, just to see what she can do. Should be fun!

OK! I FINALLY got it together enough to ride it tonight. All I can say is, wow! What a difference that front end makes! Its far from handling "well", but the suspension and handling is night and day difference from the old front end. Its also lower in the front (in street trim, without the front end strapped) which makes for a much different stance and feel. The suspension is a little soft (not too surprising since it came off a FZR600) and I was worried it was going to bottom out easily, but its actually closer to ideal than I thought it would be. I think if I add some more preload to the springs, it'll be just about perfect. Maybe go to a slightly thicker fork oil.

The gauge setup came out really good and I'm really happy with it. Its very low profile and compact. So now when I lay down on the tank, there's nothing obstructing the view at all, and I have the tach gauge 1/2" from my visor...perfect!

I ditched the ignition switch, and wired a relay in to take its place, now when you put the kill switch to the run position, everything comes on. I added a hidden switch that bypasses this though, as a extra precaution, cause I will still ride it on the street.....

I also made some jetting adjustments, shimmed up the needles some more to try to get rid of that overly-lean spike when hitting boost, and that seems to have done the job. Before I was spiking to 14.0:1, now its only seeing 13.2:1, which is much more acceptable IMO.

I also rearranged the water injection....It was way over doing it on the water the way I had it, and the engine would instantly bog down when it hit. I tried putting some restrictors on the feed side of the pump in an attempt to reduce the amount of water, but wasn't having much luck at it. So I ditched the 4 jets, welded up the holes, and put 2 of them on the cold pipe before the manifold. I'm hoping that that is a happier amount of water, but we'll see. I didn't get a chance to test it tonight.

Another issue I was having, was my super duper cool BOV wasn't working. I had had some issues with the piston binding when I first got it, and thought that was still being an issue, but I decided to try cutting down the spring while I was in there, because it was super stiff. And it appears that was the problem, because now the BOV is working exactly as it should. I got cool "PSSST" sounds now when I shift.

All of this was way way more work than I thought it was going to be. The gauge cluster alone took 3 days. The wiring harness took at least 3 days. The front end alone took 2 weeks. But I think the end product is going to make it all worth while....I hope.

Oh, and my cool clipon's got to taste the ground before I even got to ride the dang things :cry: Talk about annoying. I had pulled it out of the garage and was getting ready to ride it, and the side stand wasn't far enough down apperently, cause I was standing 5 feet away admiring my handy work and the stand suddenly folded and down she went. Snapped the clutch lever off (I had just been thinking I should trim that....well, I didn't want to trim it that way...) Bent the shift lever, deformed the K&N filter all out of whack, but I got that mostly back into shape....fortunately I had an extra lever for it. Ah well, doubt it'll be the last time....

Still got a few things to take care of before the first track day. I'm going to build a cover for the rear, to hide the water tank, and I'm also going to move the coolant reservoir there. I still haven't set up the rear to be lowered, although that should be a pretty easy job. And as I already mentioned, I still need to finish dialing in the water injection.

One other thing that I'll do soon, is set up a 2 stage boost controler, I already set aside the wires that used to go to the hi/low beam switch for this purpose, i just need to pick up vacuum switch. But its not very high on my priority list right now. I'll also buy and install a shift light soon, but this also isn't a real concern to me at the moment.

Glad to see that your nearing the end...I haven't been so lucky lately but all will be well...

Tonight I am Officially Done. IE, all of the stuff I wanted to take care of before taking it to the track are done good enough
smile.gif

Not like I'm never going to work on it again...I mean, lets be real here!

Lowered it, made the rear cowling. Finished up the fine tuning on the water injection. Relocated the coolant reservoir. Added the lanyard tether. THOROUGHLY test ridden it. She's good to go! I even put the side covers back on AND washed it!

Didn't get it as low as I wanted to....My rear end linkage has a ground clearance issue getting in teh way, besides of running out of material to work with....I wanted to slam it completely to the ground so that the turbo was barely off the ground, but I think I'm just going to settle with 6 inches or so. Its low enough that the side stand is pretty much useless, so I definitely dropped it quite a bit.....

I'd say it looks pretty good now (I think it does anyway) but its still definitely a rat bike, make no mistakes about it!
smile.gif

This is in "street mode", IE, its not lowered for thse pics. I had left it lowered for a couple days, but the front tire was hitting the fan and my cornering clearance was crap. I much prefer it high for street riding anyway.

Notice my cat Sammie, fleeing in terror from the scary bike

smile.gif

back from the drag TnT!

Didn't go quite as I had planned, but the good news is the weather held out (wasn't looking too promising most of the day) and I got to run both the ZRX and the rat bike.

Only SeanS and his lovely wife showed up for this little show.....and diede my GF and my friend Ross came along with me to witness the results.....everyone had a good time though
smile.gif

The not-to-surprising results are: I suck at this
smile.gif

I started out with the rat bike. Had a gallon or so of race gas in it, had taken it on 2 test rides before heading out to the track, ran flawlessly other than a little blubbery on the needles with teh race gas, which didn't surprise me any, considering race gas usually makes the settings a little richer.

First couple runs went fairly well, considering they were my first runs ever. 60' was around 2.0-2.2, which is pretty livable for first time ever, if you ask me....but after the second run, the rat bike started misfiring at full throttle. At first it was real mild, but it got quickly bad.

I'm still not sure what was causing it, it didn't run right for the rest of the day. Might have been lead fouling on the plugs. Might be other ignition issues....could be fuel related, although I doublt it cause I didn't have any problems until I put the race gas in it.....I'm betting on plugs at this moment. I'm going to try reducing the plug gap tomorrow and see if that fixes it....but I was really disappointed since I couldn't really ride it at full tilt, as my times show
sad.gif

But it was easier to launch, although looking at my times, it looks like they both had simular 60' times, but keep in mind most of my first runs were on the rat bike, and then I switched over to the ZRX, so I had more "experience" after getting on the ZRX.

The ZRX I left exactly as I ride it on the street. Eccentrics flipped, no strap no lowered forks no nothing. Needless to say, it was a bit of a challenge to launch! I was litterly doing a continuous wheelie for 3/4 of the track on most of my runs. I was pegging the speedo on just about every run, and was going through the trap topped out in 4th gear (around 10K RPM's anyway) but as you can see by the times, the speedo definitely lies a bit.

I have some video of my runs...all of my runs, but it'll take me a few days to get them in my grubby little hands and find a host for them. But here's some pics on my times. I've seen some sneak previews of the video...there's some great shots of me trying to keep the ZRX earth-bound down the entire track.....some pretty cool races where I was racing a car, and it would kill me on the launch, and then I'd hit 3rd gear and reel them in like they were standing still
smile.gif

I'm disappointed with how the rat bike went, and I was HOPING for slightly more impressive times, but I'm not really complaining. First time ever to the drag strip, one of the bikes being completely unprepared for the drag strip, I think I didn't do too bad at all.....

Definitely need some more practice though!

ZRX: Best times
number of runs: 10
60' 1.92
1/4 ET: 10.81
trap speed: 137.4

Rat bike:
Number of runs: 9
60' 1.92
1/4 ET: 11.162
trap speed: 122.5

smile.gif

smile.gif

Went to bremerton ah,Love that track,when your ready for a extended arm or some zx10 parts let me know.Good times for first outing.good luck.

(some may rejoice on this....this will be the last "update" I will post to this thread....from here it will die its painful death)

OK! Got the videos....I got 4 for now. All of them are around 5mb each. They are quick-time (.MOV) unfortunately, thats the format his camera saves in, and I don't have any way of converting it....but alas....

First one is the only run I bothered uploading of the rat bike. This was my fastest run, and you can hear it misfiring....can't hear the turbo spool very well, which is a real bummer...it sounds WAY better in person...

http://home.comcast.net/~zrxbiker/bestrat.MOV

This first one of the ZRX was my very last run and a little dark, and is taken from a little further down the track. The car I was racing was mid to low 11's.

http://home.comcast.net/~zrxbiker/ZRXlast.MOV

another ZRX vs car, and this one was very close....it said I won, but I actually lost by a nose hair.

http://home.comcast.net/~zrxbiker/ZRXclose.MOV

and this last one I was really late coming off the line, I don't even remember why, but is still a fun one to watch....

http://home.comcast.net/~zrxbiker/ZRXlate.MOV

Back