The Law

Here locally in Martin County- 4 LEOs on various sportbikes riding at a very high rate of speed on a rural road frequented by bikes (excess of 100 mph). All 4 get stopped at a speed trap by Martin county LEOs. Only one out of four had a motorcycle endorsement. All let go free and clear, with the exception that the three without endorsements had to have their bikes picked up. They were all Palm Beach County deputies. Favoritism? Nah........ If they'd have caught me, gauranteed willful/wanton wreckless and possibly a trip to jail.
After reading the post above about what can happen to a LEO, if charged with a traffic infraction, I can understand why they might be let go.  I know it doesn't seem fair, but would it be fair to lose your job or be heavily fined for doing something many of us do daily?  They are just people, like any of us.  I'm sure everyone has run into a cop with an attitude, or chip on his shoulder, but we all interact with people like that in every other part of our lives as well.  

Exceeding the speed limit in rural areas is still not legal, even if does represent less risk to other citizens.  If you don't like having a 55MPH speed limit on some road, petition to change the law.  Don't hate the guys we pay to enforce our laws for us.  

If I get a ticket for doing 185 in a 55 out in the middle of nowhere, I'll take it and deal with it.  Hell, I'd probably frame it...

I know I sound like an old guy to many of you but I just don't understand this hatred of LEO that some of you obviously have.  If you wonder why I care, it's because your confrontational attitude increased the chances I'm going to get pulled over for crap like changing lanes too fast.  For every cop that posts on a sportbike forum, there are probably 20 that lurk.  

-Chris
At the time I was a professional driver. I too could loose my job over such a charge. BTW, don't know your age, but I am not exactly a kid at 41.

Here locally in Martin County- 4 LEOs on various sportbikes riding at a very high rate of speed on a rural road frequented by bikes (excess of 100 mph). All 4 get stopped at a speed trap by Martin county LEOs. Only one out of four had a motorcycle endorsement. All let go free and clear, with the exception that the three without endorsements had to have their bikes picked up. They were all Palm Beach County deputies. Favoritism? Nah........ If they'd have caught me, gauranteed willful/wanton wreckless and possibly a trip to jail.
I am curious, what is your source for facts on this event?

Not who, but how did you learn of this?

I am curious, what is your source for facts on this event?

Not who, but how did you learn of this?
We frequent that area and happened to be out there at the time.

Bronc3,

I wasn't really directing my comments at you specifically. It was just your post that got me thinking about the subject a little more. Probably should have made that more clear. I'm 33 years old.

-Chris

No problem. You see a lot of crazies out there in western Martin out by Lake Okeechobee. Palm Beach County supposedly has a no-chase policy for sportbikes, so the squids from Palm Beach will come up to Martin to GET chased. Lots of open roads out there with very little traffic.

IScream,
I had a minute in the "office" today and cracked the NYS VTL to answer question for you. The only guidelines for lane change is signal within 100' and complete pass (assuming you are in oncoming lane) at least 200' in front of oncoming car. Other than that there are not set sections regarding how to change lanes. It is subjective and the PO who wrote it didn't like a fast lean and thought you were unsafe. Would say any who ride or have ridden wouldn't even notice (other than saying @#$*% I want to ride) unless you passed and "shared" the lane with cage you were passing.

No guide lines or sections in VTL in NY for acceleration other than an "unsafe start". Than would be starting from a parked position into traffic without looking,yielding,merging, etc.. The stuff most cagers do that tends to get bikers killed. Personally the only way I'd notice is if you jet up onto someones back bumper and hang there. I used to tend to tailgate never realized how close I really was.

It's all about discretion. Most people I deal with write thier own tickets with attitude. Honestly, other than the squid who jetted, I can't remember the last rider I wrote in 13 years. Okay, so there was the Busa I tried to commandeer a few weeks ago, but he was stopped....  
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif
I think I would've needed a bigger gun!!!!

Thanks guys. This board is great. I must now search the insurance section as I got a progressive quote at $1600.00 today. I remember my last bike (stone age 20 years ago) was $159.00...Is it just the Busa, or have the squids really messed things up??
mad.gif

Thanks guys. This board is great. I must now search the insurance section as I got a progressive quote at $1600.00 today. I remember my last bike (stone age 20 years ago) was $159.00...Is it just the Busa, or have the squids really messed things up??
mad.gif

PDBusa -

I have Geico insurance.

Live in California
no tickets
costs me $585.00 per year

Here is a link for you

http://www.geico.com/cycle/

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117100147 -->

First, thanks to PD for being honest and giving a real assessment of how he sees things. I spent my formative tears in Los Angeles and learned that a poor attitude will get you nowhere when dealing with LEO's, no matter if you're right or wrong. I have never seen anyone punk a cop out of giving a ticket. I am always polite, even if I'm in the right, until the cuffs go on. Then I might vent a little (okay, a lot) but hey I'm already hooked up, so what's the difference. Many times I have attempted to put the officer at ease, admitted what we both knew to be wrong and let the chips fall where they may. I dislike those few officers who abuse the power they have, but let's face it, it's a no-win situation. If they want to write me, they are gonna find a reason, whether it is justified or not. All we can do is shut up and hope for the best. just as all bikers should not be judged by the squids, all cops should not be judged by the pr!cks.

Thanks for the feedback PDBusa. Probably has a lot to do with why I didn't get ticketed in either case. Once you get a bike, bring it down to TX and we'll take a ride. You can talk our way out of the tickets.
tounge.gif

First, thanks to PD for being honest and giving a real assessment of how he sees things. I spent my formative tears in Los Angeles and learned that a poor attitude will get you nowhere when dealing with LEO's, no matter if you're right or wrong. I have never seen anyone punk a cop out of giving a ticket. I am always polite, even if I'm in the right, until the cuffs go on. Then I might vent a little (okay, a lot) but hey I'm already hooked up, so what's the difference. Many times I have attempted to put the officer at ease, admitted what we both knew to be wrong and let the chips fall where they may. I dislike those few officers who abuse the power they have, but let's face it, it's a no-win situation. If they want to write me, they are gonna find a reason, whether it is justified or not. All we can do is shut up and hope for the best. just as all bikers should not be judged by the squids, all cops should not be judged by the pr!cks.
Well put Mr. Brown, as usual.....

whatever you say, not all are into what you are, so do not have to think that of me, if I was into glue I would probably be bald by now.

rant.gif

poke.gif
Yoda?  You that is???
jump9.gif

Funny, This is....
VERY annoying soon, this will get! Around your neck, my hands will be!
biggrin.gif

[Kim Jong Ill voice]Hewwoooooow!!! Why is evwy won so F*&$%ing SHTEWPID??? [/Kim Jong Ill voice]
tounge.gif

Warning: If you have never seen Team America, then this post will not make sense or seem the slightest bit funny.

excellent post PD. Welcome to the board.

My dad was in law enforcement for years, he had a very similar outlook.

It's too bad that there aren't more officers out there with your common sense approach. In my 43 yrs I've met my share of "badge-happy" ones.

Thanks for your sacrifice's and again, welcome.

Just a little note from the DA's side - for those who want to go to court.

Those are MY cops out there.  I know them all by name because I see them in court.  I also give them free legal advice, do their divorces, their wills, and attend their funerals.

My job is to move my docket and do it fast enough to keep the Judge happy - make sure he is through in time for that appointment, whatever it is.

If you're honest with me (and I've heard it all before) and you don't have a long record, I'll cut you some slack.  Try to BS me and I'll let you be the one who makes His Honor upset.  If I have any questions, I'll ask the officer how you acted and what he wants to do.  If he says cut some slack, then slack will be cut.  If he says break it off in your butt, well, that can be done, too.

Just remember...honesty goes a long way!

(Did I mention I'd heard it all before?)

YMMV, prices slightly higher East of the Mississippi, yada, yada, yada....

cool.gif

Who are you asking that to, and what significance would that have with this thread?
rock.gif
?

Hello Willie,

Interesting introduction.  Do you ride?  I have to say that you sound like a bit of a d**k to me just from reading this one post.  I'm willing to be proven wrong on that though...

-Chris

<!--EDIT|IScream
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117636956 -->

I have to say that you sound like a bit of a d**k to me just from reading this one post.  I'm willing to be proven wrong on that though...

-Chris
Chris -  I won't try to deny being a d**k, hopefully it's only occasional and not all the time!  I was only trying to make the point of outlining where the DA's loyalties are, or could be expected to be - with the cops and not John Q. Public.  A lot of folks seem to think the DA is more willing to take their side instead of the cops - it ain't gonna happen!  Credit will generally be given for the expense of hiring a lawyer - union rules and all that.  But we see those cops every day, if we see you every day - something's wrong!

Again, didn't mean to be a d**k on my first post.

Oh, and I do ride.  About 20k a year.

smile.gif

Back