The Law

lurk.gif

<!--EDIT|FAKK2
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118336194 -->

My .02 cents about the law...if you do happen to get a ticket fight it with a lawyer, you will win 99.9% of the time if you have a good lawyer. Most people do not fight speeding tickets.

My overall experience with LEOs have actually been quite pleasant. With the exception of a few times when I was younger (early twenties) I would recall what an asshat I thought the cop was, when realistically he simply wasn't taking any crap from a young punk. Now into my late Thirties my perceptions have changed for the better.

I've been pulled over for various reasons. Accelerating too fast, not signaling a lane change or turn, loud pipes, and a couple times for speeding. I've only received 1 ticket (and that was because like a schmuck I didn't have proof of insurance in my possession) since those immature days in my twenties, when by right I could have received more. In all those cases I was let off with a warning simply because I paid respect. I wouldn't play stupid with the cop, however I wouldn't admit to anything either (well a couple times I gave them the "Okay, you got me" look because it was obvious I was breaking the law).

Generally though, I find police give me a lot of leeway. I've had cops give me the Hey buddy, keep it down hand gesture as I roll by on an empty street. I've accelerated rapidly out of ugly looking situations on the road and the police give me a nod, recognizing I was getting out of a jam rather than acting the fool. I've even had the occasional motorcycle cop holding a radar gun to me, and give me the two wheeler wave as I ride past about 7-8mph over the posted limit (no traffic, full gear... cuz I did get pulled over under similar circumstances when there was other traffic).

And who's the schmuck who recommends fighting every ticket and get a good lawyer? I DO have a very good lawyer, however when you face a $75 fine vs $500per/hr fee to an attorney, how do you get lost in the math?

fakk, you do not know the "rape" laws. dont accuse the man of something he is not guilty of. just cause shes under 18 doesnt mean a thing.

you speak in absolutes(there is no such thing). im sure there is one good cop from daytona... not flamin, just facts

If I was a cop I would pull every bike I seen over!!!!!!
For no other reason but to check out their ride. Giving a warning verses a ticket gets mucho respect from me.
beerchug.gif

Welcome to the board...
biggrin.gif

...so does that maketwo cops on the board now PD & BT
rock.gif

Just FYI, if my questions sounded negative toward LEO, that wasn't my intention.  I have no problem with cops in general.  I've been harassed a few times but overall most of my experiences haven't been too bad.  LEO in Irving, TX have the worst 'tudes I've run across around here and unfortunately I have to drive there every day for work.  In fairness though, Irving does have a sport bike problem.  There is a Whataburger where bikes hang out and it's pretty much squid central.  Large groups taking off and acting like idiots in traffic all the time...

I'm very interested in hearing about the lane change and acceleration stuff.

-Chris

<!--EDIT|IScream
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117068553 -->

Here locally in Martin County- 4 LEOs on various sportbikes riding at a very high rate of speed on a rural road frequented by bikes (excess of 100 mph). All 4 get stopped at a speed trap by Martin county LEOs. Only one out of four had a motorcycle endorsement. All let go free and clear, with the exception that the three without endorsements had to have their bikes picked up. They were all Palm Beach County deputies. Favoritism? Nah........ If they'd have caught me, gauranteed willful/wanton wreckless and possibly a trip to jail.

Here locally in Martin County- 4 LEOs on various sportbikes riding at a very high rate of speed on a rural road frequented by bikes (excess of 100 mph). All 4 get stopped at a speed trap by Martin county LEOs. Only one out of four had a motorcycle endorsement. All let go free and clear, with the exception that the three without endorsements had to have their bikes picked up. They were all Palm Beach County deputies. Favoritism? Nah........ If they'd have caught me, gauranteed willful/wanton wreckless and possibly a trip to jail.
After reading the post above about what can happen to a LEO, if charged with a traffic infraction, I can understand why they might be let go.  I know it doesn't seem fair, but would it be fair to lose your job or be heavily fined for doing something many of us do daily?  They are just people, like any of us.  I'm sure everyone has run into a cop with an attitude, or chip on his shoulder, but we all interact with people like that in every other part of our lives as well.  

Exceeding the speed limit in rural areas is still not legal, even if does represent less risk to other citizens.  If you don't like having a 55MPH speed limit on some road, petition to change the law.  Don't hate the guys we pay to enforce our laws for us.  

If I get a ticket for doing 185 in a 55 out in the middle of nowhere, I'll take it and deal with it.  Hell, I'd probably frame it...

I know I sound like an old guy to many of you but I just don't understand this hatred of LEO that some of you obviously have.  If you wonder why I care, it's because your confrontational attitude increases the chances I'm going to get pulled over for crap like changing lanes too fast.  For every cop that posts on a sportbike forum, there are probably 20 that lurk.  

-Chris

<!--EDIT|IScream
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117086370 -->

Back