The Law

PDBusa

who, me?
Donating Member
Registered
Since I am still sitting here waiting for my chance to own a Busa come along
sad.gif
I thought maybe I'd throw out a few tips from inside the cage with lights on the top. I'm sure i'll get hammered more than a first bike a busa post, but what the heck!
First let me explain that not all cops have the same mentality as me on these points but here's my take.

Look twice before you do something squidish;
The crowd you are showing off in front of is also waiting for me to do my job. If I act, you think I'm a bastid. If I don't act I'm not doing what you all have paid me for. Do I have an option here?

Speed on an open road (no cages/pedestrians)...if you endanger no one but yourself and you're dressed to ride, I'm not going to bother. Be safe  
thumbs-up.gif

thumbs-up.gif

Flip flops, t-shirt, and shorts is another story 5-10 over the limit and I'm looking at you. I just ate my meal and really don't want to scrape you off the road and see fresh road rash right now. Have some paper,You earned it.

Speed in an area with kids/pedestrians. Do I really have an option? Here ya go, you've earned it.

umnik.gif
THINK about it before you decide to jet;
My motorola is faster than anything on the road, even a Busa. I have many options on what to deploy, may even call for the bird in the sky (insert the WHO, "I can see for miles and miles"). Once you decide to twist the throttle and jet, "it's on". My discretion has just left the scenario.
evil.gif

Points to ponder as you decide; Did I get your plate? Have I seen you washing your bike and know where you live? Why am I stopping you? Maybe I see a mod and want to inquire about it. Maybe I want to let you know your plate is loose and may fall off? Actually happened, He jets, plate falls off right in front of me. DOH!!! Casually went to guys house where bike was still roasting hot in garage. He answered the door with "helmet head" and denied even riding that day...until I showed him the plate he was missing. He was all legit. until he jetted. Got himself arrested for a bad decision. Hey he earned it!
iamwithstupid.gif

So lets say you decide to stop. Why not move to the right side of shoulder or even off of it. Turn bike off, and remove helmet so I can speak with you.  It shows respect. It also could save a life, yours or mine. Have you seen how cagers act when they see flashing lights???

(For the ladies on this board, you may go now. Thank you and please have a pleasant day. I'm sorry for interrupting your ride, please ride safely and watch those cagers. As a matter of fact there are some awesome twisties just down the road, let me make a call and have it closed off for you to ride cager free...)
rock.gif

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Remember, you know who I am and what I do for a living (the car and uniform would be what I'd call a clue??), I have NO idea who you are or what you have just done. My goal is seeing my kids at the end of the tour. (Hopefully soon I can add riding my Busa!) In the back of my mind I am ready for you to be the biggest,ugliest,meanest dude in the world who wants to kill a cop. I strongly suggest you do nothing that may further that idea! Lay your hands palms up on tank and relax. Before you start reaching for things let me know what you are doing. "My license is in wallet in back pocket, may I get it now? My reg. info is under seat, would you like me to get it?" It helps to show a little respect. It may not show, but it eases some stress and could directly affect the outcome of our meeting.
wink.gif

Be honest. 75mph in a 40mph at the 11:00 position on one wheel in a residential area with kids on the street and you have no idea why I stopped you? Please, I don't expect you to confess to every violation you've ever committed. But if you insult my intelligence, you will most likely get a ticket for stupidity. Hey, you earned it!

If you are uninsured,unregistered,unlicensed,uninspected,drunk,or belligerent, I wouldn't expect a warning. You should know better. You earned it.

Follow some of the tips and you may get a break. Maybe its one ticket instead of 3, or a warning instead of any, but it's still a break!    

The opinions and views expressed or implied above are the sole posession of said person who posted same. Do NOT expect these views to be expressed by every officer in the world. Remember;
Respect, you gotta give it to get it.

Be Safe.

thumbs-up.gif

wink.gif

Welcome to the board. Cops around here tell us the same shid about keepin the speeding to the back roads which we usually do. And the license plate thing...mine fell of the other night to so i can see how that happens, but question....how are you going to ride your bike
rock.gif

"Responsibly." I am assuming most here do. When I lose respect for it I will sell it. That's when the trouble starts.
I'm not above the law, but when I'm in the right place, and it's not looking...  
race.gif

<!--EDIT|PDBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117010052 -->

Great post PD...former Deputy myself here and this is always what I try to convey to fellow riders. So many of them panic or do stupid things when they see a cop. Most of the time the cop is either writing a report or otherwise busy and doesn't even notice!

The pointers about getting stopped are right on! Make sure you don't make an y sudden moves guys (and gals). You gotta remember that every cop is trained to live through worst case scenario's, so ease their tention when they stop you by not giving them a reason to think you might kill them! Keep your hands in sight and make it obvious that you have no itentions of harming them or running by turning the car/bike/whatever off and opening a window.

Cops are trained that the hands are the ost dangerous thing on you to them. The hands are what get them shot at, stabbed or killed. Did you ever see someone shoot a cop with their foot? Butt? Big toe? Didn't think so...

Now you know why cops always worry about your hands and don't like you putting them into pockets or digging under your front seat (which is the most common place people stash a gun BTW!)

Again, great post, it helps (*I* think) for the LEO's here to chime in on things like this. I think it helps ease some of the tention people have. Again, not all of the cops out there will have the same attitude or opinion, but remember for every badge heavy jerk, there are HUNDREDS of good ones who really did take this line of work to help YOU! ALso remember that harassing you for a ticket is NOT what is usually on their minds. There are bigger problems to contend with...rapists, murderers, guys beating on their wives, kids, family dog, etc.

Give respect to earn it....it does work!
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|Nijinsky3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117010490 -->

I wish that worked all the time...the only time I got off with a warning is when I should have gotten a ticket (Thanks again to the cop in Aspen)...and I get tickets for 7 over on a 50mph 2-lane deserted road with almost no side streets(from a self proclaimed motorcycle cop (he was in a cruiser at the time) no less). I assume this is due to the fact that I get tickets from guys specifically waiting to catch speeders and dont get hassled by cops just patrolling.

I'll be fighting every ticket from now on(go to court, loose, appeal, strike a deal with the DA), if it were a safety(going 80 in a 70mph on a 3 lane Hwy with light traffic is not a saftey issue) issue that would be one thing, but it seems to only be a revenue maker and I'm not playing along anymore. This tactic seems to work for my brother has quite the record dealing with the DA and is on a first name basis with the driving school instructor and has zero points.

Thanks for the heads up, those things that you mentioned are pretty much what the "speeders guide to avoiding tickets" says to do, it's good to have some real-life verification on it.

Again, not all of the cops out there will have the same attitude or opinion, but remember for every badge heavy jerk, there are HUNDREDS of good ones who really did take this line of work to help YOU!
Not in my area. i think the ratio falls the opposite way. but good post. never hurts to show respect.

Welcome to the board PDBUSA -

Just kind of goes back to "you get what you give"

I have found most of the time if you are honest, dont try to BS a police officer, they are usually pretty cool about things.

And hey, if you were doing something wrong, got caught and got hammered, like you said, isnt the cops fault for doing his / her's job.

I have found most LE to be pretty cool as long as your not an a$$hat to them. The one thing I have learned is to never volunteer information to them when you get popped... I answer their questions as honestly as possible and hope for the best. Respect goes a long,long way!

Great post. If I was a cop, I think I'd do things very similar to the way you describe. We all have jobs to do, and just as in any other job, being courteous and respectful make a huge difference... as can reckless endangerment and stupidity.

I have found most LE to be pretty cool as long as your not an a$$hat to them. The one thing I have learned is to never volunteer information to them when you get popped... I answer their questions as honestly as possible and hope for the best. Respect goes a long,long way!
Sometimes they dont want you to offer info.

Some circumstances, they dont want to know anything more than they have to. You might tell them something that they dont want to hammer you for, but now because you told them they have no choice about it.

Kind of a case by case basis and depends on how and what you are dealing with.

But yeah, sometimes best just to keep the lips closes and just truthfully answer the questions asked. If the officer wants to know something they will ask.

Believe it or not, cops a human too. As fellow human beings, they don't like to be lied to, slandered, insulted, abused, or degraded for doing their job (just like the rest of us).

The last time I got pulled over, I was doing 73 in a 60 (basically the flow of traffic) on the freeway. I gave him the info he wanted, and I answered his questions honestly. He let me off with a warning.

My wife recently got a ticket for 34 in a 20 (school zone). She didn't deny it. The LEO said he clocked her at 35, but he wrote the ticket for 34, to avoid a 'wreckless driving' charge. If she had try to get out of it, he would have written the ticket for 35 wreckless driving, in a school zone. In Washington State a school zone automatically doubles the fine. Wreckless Driving in a school zone quadruples the fine (more or less). She still had to pay the fine, but the LEO did help her out by not making it a nearly $400 fine.

(Why do cops think their above the law, have under age gf's ect... We have a cop here in lake hel inbetween deland and new symarna florida who is a stuck up idiot, law is the law, and you get a ticket for 3 over the speed limit ect.. yet he has dated a 17 year old and younger, as well as is into little boys. the cheif is not better but is into the little boys and all no woman, just wonder how some can be hard nosed and break the law and all commit statatory rape ect... are all cops like this? or is it just these small towns and their stuck up attitude cops?)

I think in any profession you find people that just plain suck and don't really deserve the air they breath... They are usually exceptions to the rule. Becoming an LEO is not an easy process. they don't just say thanks for filling out the application Here is your badge here is your gun. You usually get run through a pretty difficult background check,polygraph, multiple interviews, drug testing (and not the walmart variety) and so on. BUT sometimes people slip through the cracks and make it. Alot of my friends are LE and they know who the A$$hats are in their dept's and sometimes make attempts to drum them out.
Judge the individual not the group... Unless they all suck in which case I would move.

Back