The Law

The basic point that PDBuse originally brought up and which WillieG later echoed is the same, your best bet once caught fuggin up is to be honest. Now I know that a few, maybe a lot reading this will have all sorts of things to say to the contrary, BUT, before you do, consider these points.

The basic premise to traffic enforcement, or any law enforcement for that matter, is to gain compliance by the public to follow the laws which the representatives that THEY voted into office enacted. An individual officer who stops you has various means in which to accomplish that goal, such as a verbal warning, a written warning, a citation, or for serious offenses, arrest. In certain jurisdictions some of those options may be mandated for various reason, such as high fatality rates or specialized enforcement campaigns, etc.

When the officer makes contact with you, he has a very brief period of time to make an assessment in which to figure out which of the available courses to take in order to gain compliance from you for that particular offense. The absolute worst thing a person could do is to deny the obvious. If you just ran a red light and saw the patrol car sitting there, get pulled over and then tell the officer “Why did you pull me over, I did not do anything wrong, you must have gotten the wrong car!â€￾ you have pretty much sealed your own fate. This is not meant to sound condescending, but think of how you as a parent would respond if you caught your kid blatantly violating one of the household rules and then in essence telling you that you were full of shid, that they did not do what you clearly saw them do…..What would be your option??

With an officer who is doing his job in a fair manner, you being up front and at least stating the obvious is your best chance. This does not mean an automatic verbal warning. But the point to consider here, if you do what is right, you are not giving up anything because if the officer is the type who is on a mission to write tickets, you admitting it or denying it will not sway the outcome anyway.

Yes, there are SOME officers out there who are on a mission to write tickets, but they really are the exception. Regardless of that fact, if you do break that law, it is not the officers fault that you got the citation, it is your decision to violate or disregard that law, or your inattention that created the ENTIRE event.

When I was in law enforcement I had countless times of going to some social event and have someone come up and tell me how fugged up some cop was because they got a citation or infraction notice for something and they would swear on their mothers eyes that they did not do it and blah blah blah. My response was “Well let’s say for the sake of argument that you really were not speeding when you got pulled over, ok? Are there any other times in your life when you clearly were, but did not get caught? Well then why not consider the score as even then?â€￾

The truth in this, if we are real honest, is that we ALL fug up occasionally, when we do, there is nobody to blame except US, if it works out that the planets are lined up with Youranus and there happens to be an authority figure there to witness our splendid event.

Thanks for the advice PD it was good information. Welcome to the board!, "you've earn it."
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

BigK

smile.gif

Great post and welcome. I am brand new here, too, and your post gives me an opportunity to ask a few questions, if you don't mind (appreciating that every cop is a different person and given  differing circumstances, will  obviously have different reactions). Here goes:

Much of the problem driving in the greater NY metro area, on the highways (ie, anything larger than 2 lanes in the same direction) is the left lane laggards. While one is not supposed to pass on the right, it becomes unavoidable. First, the person slagging along in the left lane may be oblivious, on the cell (also illegal here in NY,but seemingly never enforced, or just a poor or terrified driver who is reluctant to change lanes to allow higher speed traffic to pass). Honking obviously does no good, nor does lite flashing, both of which are treated as insulting. Tailgating is obviously not the answer either, although what happens when a slow poke jambs the passing lane is that people start a conga-line, don't allow enough space between vehicles in case of a panic stop (look at how many cannot drive smoothly at this point- it's accelerate,brake, brake, accelerate), and it forces people to lane change in the clutch, looking for an opening past the laggard. I think alot of road rage could be reduced if the stay right edict were actually enforced, and if the driver is frightened, distracted, or simply oblivious, it's probably of some value to tag them to get them better training, or ultimately get them off the road (yes, some elderly folks should not be driving either, my heart goes out to them, but they created unnecessary risks).
I've been tagged a couple times for right lane passing, usually not at crazy speeds eg 74 mph on 684, which i consider to be a lame bust.
One other thing- i know you guys cannot condone high speed runs, but occassionally, i know of a backroad with full visibility for a couple miles, nothing, but nothing on either side of the road, and it's there, rather than on a highway, that i'll sometimes open up. Does the officer have much discretion if, without endangering anybody else, he spots someone doing say 150 plus on such a backroad- let's assume it's early morning, clear conditions, etc. and that the car is a high performance car. No question at that speed the driver is dogmeat, but i'm just curious whether it's paternalism or safety for others that's the concern. Thanks for reading this...

<!--EDIT|whart
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117689808 -->

Whart,

Wholeheartedly agree about the left lane laggards. I am not aware of any section within the traffic law that prohibits passing a slower vehicle to the right on a multiple lane highway. Then again, I am a patrol officer so much of my time is spent with people's other problems, so I can't recite the VTL. You have very valid points which I can only agree on. I can't believe how many people can't drive at a steady speed on an open road. I just set cruise control and let my kids count how many times we will pass and be passed by the same people.
I have requested "motorist review" from the NYS DMV and once was successful in getting a 87 year old really, really, unsafe drivers license revoked.
My,and only my, personal opinion on a vehicle at high speed on a desolate road, with no one else around. If you are doing 150 plus and I want to catch you, I know I have to go faster than you.
I have a two basic options;
1- Let you go, quietly hoping I won't be seeing you spred out over the next 1/4 mile like jam. Maybe the next time I see you in town I'll let you know you should do a track day.
2- Decide to "get you" and endanger both our lives attempting to get vehicles to handle safely at speeds they really weren't designed for.

Personally, in the scenario you gave, I'd go back to eating my donut!!  
wow.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Paternalism or public safety? I spend the majority of my day dealing with and helping others cope with the worst moments of thier life. Telling someone thier child/parent etc.. isn't coming home because of a crash is not what I consider a good time. I'd rather not have to do it. Ever. But I can't save everyone from someone else, and I certainly can't save everyone from themselves.

Ride Safe.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Back