Tea Party

I really do not expect you to agree with any of this as you seem purely antagonist about these threads and I really do not know why you even get involved.. the theme you play is pretty predictable and normally has nothing but boo's and haa's with little factual information to backup the some what liberal attitude (or shall we just call it the "left")
I find this rude and ignorant.
Just feel it was uncalled for and could have been said a different way or not said at all and just let him have his opinion.

They're coming to take me away, HA HA
They're coming to take me away, HO HO HEE HEE HA HA
To the funny farm
Where life is beautiful all the time
And I'll be happy to see
Those nice, young men
In their clean, white coats
And they're coming to take me away, Ha-haaa!

It is only paper print more. It will not matter when the world ends. :cheerleader:

no but these and a couple other posts are ? ok, non-productive? but the mad hatters tea party is sort of funny if not disturbing

I find this rude and ignorant.
Just feel it was uncalled for and could have been said a different way or not said at all and just let him have his opinion.

Thanks bro but it is not worth getting upset about. :beerchug:

You are right in terms of the bottom line and although corporate taxes are hig in the US many large companies get hugs tax benefits for locating in certain areas, as was pointed out with regard to European Auto makers. The cost of those benefits to big business translates to less government services in those areas (Schools, Emergency Services, Infrastructure)
Hold on a second. You're telling me that providing jobs and new income tax revenue is a net loss to these areas? With all due respect, I think economics isn't necessarily your forte.

also the larger corporations push out the mom and pop stores (you know, like the butcher whose name you used to know). So if you think I am being antagonistic you are wrong I simply disagree with your position.
With the exception of Wal-Mart, most large companies spawn more commercial business since these people need places to shop. Even in Wal-Mart towns, there are still mom and pop shops that do it better, quicker and with more personalized service. The Wal-Mart argument is a non-sequitur.

Hold on a second. You're telling me that providing jobs and new income tax revenue is a net loss to these areas? With all due respect, I think economics isn't necessarily your forte. .

Perhaps except when you only employ people at the minimum wage there is not much net gain in income tax revenew is there?

[/QUOTE]
With the exception of Wal-Mart, most large companies spawn more commercial business since these people need places to shop. Even in Wal-Mart towns, there are still mom and pop shops that do it better, quicker and with more personalized service. The Wal-Mart argument is a non-sequitur.[/QUOTE]

Examples please.

Last edited:
Hold on a second. You're telling me that providing jobs and new income tax revenue is a net loss to these areas? With all due respect, I think economics isn't necessarily your forte.

With the exception of Wal-Mart, most large companies spawn more commercial business since these people need places to shop. Even in Wal-Mart towns, there are still mom and pop shops that do it better, quicker and with more personalized service. The Wal-Mart argument is a non-sequitur.
The flaw in your argument is that it makes the assumption that if the US were to lower corporate tax rates to an equal footing with the countries these jobs are being exported to, they would remain here. This is not the case. These companies exist to make as much money as possible, and would still re-locate to a place where their profits are maximized by lower labor costs. I firmly believe in a free-market, capitalist economy but we don't have one. The government intervenes far to much. De-regulation is a good thing, but not when it's not universally applied. Let them all sink or swim. That's capitalism.

And I don't know where you live, but Walmart kills small town businesses. It's doing it right now where I live. They lower the prices on things until the smaller stores can't compete, and once they're gone raise the prices back up.

I think he meant for you to illustrate examples of this statement,

Even in Wal-Mart towns, there are still mom and pop shops that do it better, quicker and with more personalized service. The Wal-Mart argument is a non-sequitur.[/quote]

I think he meant for you to illustrate examples of this statement,

Even in Wal-Mart towns, there are still mom and pop shops that do it better, quicker and with more personalized service. The Wal-Mart argument is a non-sequitur.
[/QUOTE]
There are mom-n-pop stores that do it that way, but not for long. Especially in a time like this where lowest price trumps everything. I have to make my dollar stretch as far as I can, and I simply have to shop where prices are lowest. It aggravates me knowing that the lower prices at Walmart will evaporate, but honestly what choice do I have? The Walmart problem may be an argument to you, but to me it's a daily dilemma.

Perhaps except when you only employ people at the minimum wage there is not much net gain in income tax revenew is there?
Minimum wage is for college kids and temp employees. I know of very few manufacturers that pay minimum wage. Even so, taxes are taxes and every bit counts. Sales tax doesn't discriminate against income.

Examples please.

Take a look at the yellow pages? Look at any small town and you will see numerous businesses striving within the local range of a Wal-Mart. I could easily show any number of small towns, what type of evidence do you require?

The flaw in your argument is that it makes the assumption that if the US were to lower corporate tax rates to an equal footing with the countries these jobs are being exported to, they would remain here. This is not the case. These companies exist to make as much money as possible, and would still re-locate to a place where their profits are maximized by lower labor costs.
Labor costs are more than just the hourly rate though. Education, retraining, turnover, these are all part of labor costs. And as I said before, if labor was the sole driving force, why are foreign manufacturers taking up residence in the U.S.?

I firmly believe in a free-market, capitalist economy but we don't have one. The government intervenes far to much. De-regulation is a good thing, but not when it's not universally applied. Let them all sink or swim. That's capitalism.
Agreed.

And I don't know where you live, but Walmart kills small town businesses. It's doing it right now where I live. They lower the prices on things until the smaller stores can't compete, and once they're gone raise the prices back up.

http://www.cato.org/pubs/regulation/regv31n1/v31n1-1.pdf

What that report says to me is that Wal-Mart wipes out the competition and in some cases the void left if filled by some other business. But the mom and pop stores (Baker, Butchers, small grocery stores are all wiped out.

Foreign manufacturers are moving here because they know there will be a backlash against their products if they don't! Selling products produced at a lower profit margin is better than not selling any products at all, no matter how low your cost is. I understand what labor costs are, I wasn't implying it was merely hourly wage.
I don't need to read a study by academics to know what the Walmart problem is, perhaps you don't understand. Let me clarify: I LIVE IT! I helped build the damn thing last summer, and I am seeing what it is doing to the town I live in.

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm :whistle: , and I thought this thread was about people demonstrating about uncontroled spending by BOTH PARTYS, and the outragous TAXES being added to nearly ALL common purchased items, along with the UNBELEIVABLE BAILOUT COST our Government has put on us.

Silly me, I didn't know it was an individual bashing secession :beerchug:

What that report says to me is that Wal-Mart wipes out the competition and in some cases the void left if filled by some other business. But the mom and pop stores (Baker, Butchers, small grocery stores are all wiped out.
I think you read the report wrong then. Take a look at the conclusion.

Mr. Brown, while I appreciate your situation, it is anecdotal and not indicitive of the whole. Wal-Mart may have a temporary impact on your local area, but once the "new" factor wears off, people will become weary and Wal-Mart will become just another store to choose from. Additionally, local stores will adapt. If they can't adapt, they WILL die. But that's not anyone's fault other than their own.

Last edited:
I think you read the report wrong then. Take a look at the conclusion.

Let me see:

There is no question that Wal-Mart does cause some momand-
pop businesses to fail. However, those failures are entirely
compensated for by the entry of other new small business
elsewhere
in the economy through the process of creative
destruction.

Sounds pretty much like what I said. The mom and pop business that can't compete with Wat-Mart are pushed out.

Let me see:

pop businesses to fail. However, those failures are entirely
elsewhere
destruction.

Sounds pretty much like what I said. The mom and pop business that can't compete with Wat-Mart are pushed out.

I don't follow. Some small businesses fail while others are created. Isn't that a natural business cycle? You claimed that big corporations "push out all the mom and pop stores." Yet the passage you cite states something completely different.

Let me see:

pop businesses to fail
. However, those failures are entirely
elsewhere
destruction.

I don't follow. Some small businesses fail while others are created. Isn't that a natural business cycle? You claimed that big corporations "push out all the mom and pop stores." Yet the passage you cite states something completely different.

Please look at the red words. Yes it also says: However, those failures are entirely
elsewhere
destruction......Tell that to the business that fail because Wal-Mart came to town.

Back