Tea Party

Please look at the red words. Yes it also says: However, those failures are entirely
compensated for by the entry of other new small business
elsewhere
in the economy through the process of creative
destruction......Tell that to the business that fail because Wal-Mart came to town.
If it wasn't Wal-Mart, one of these other new businesses would have done the same thing. It's like saying that a guy dying of a heart attack was shot and killed. Sure, he may have died from the bullet, but he was going to die anyway from the heart attack. This is the nature of business.

Mr. Brown, while I appreciate your situation, it is anecdotal and not indicitive of the whole. Wal-Mart may have a temporary impact on your local area, but once the "new" factor wears off, people will become weary and Wal-Mart will become just another store to choose from. Additionally, local stores will adapt. If they can't adapt, they WILL die. But that's not anyone's fault other than their own.

You really DON"T understand. Once Walmart has caused other stores, its competition, to fail (and it does, even that report admitted as much) there is no place else to go, without driving 40 miles. The "new" as you pit it NEVER wears off, simply because it can't. It's not the local stores' fault that they don't have the buying power, the market dominance, that Walmart does, and it's insulting to say it is. They simply wished to provide a service or item, at a fair price and make a decent living. It would be different if Walmart continued to offer the same items at lower prices, that would benefit everyone, but they raise the prices on items they were selling at a loss once the competition is gone.
Come visit my town, or any number of others and see for yourself......

You really DON"T understand. Once Walmart has caused other stores, its competition, to fail (and it does, even that report admitted as much) there is no place else to go, without driving 40 miles. The "new" as you pit it NEVER wears off, simply because it can't. It's not the local stores' fault that they don't have the buying power, the market dominance, that Walmart does, and it's insulting to say it is. They simply wished to provide a service or item, at a fair price and make a decent living. It would be different if Walmart continued to offer the same items at lower prices, that would benefit everyone, but they raise the prices on items they were selling at a loss once the competition is gone.
Come visit my town, or any number of others and see for yourself......

I live in a small town, so that anecdote is not lost on me. We have a Wal-Mart, two grocery stores, two drug stores, discount stores, clothing stores,two hardware stores, two electrical supply stores, a bakery, a few barbers and numerous speciality stores from jewelers to electronics shops.

With all due respect, your local situation, while understandably negative, is not indicative of the rest of the nation.

You say that you believe in capitalism, yet you claim that it's someone else's fault when stores can't complete. If they can't compete, then they do not deserve to exist. When Wal-mart moves into town, local shops are finally put to the test, are they truly offering a good service, or are they simply schlepping product out the front door?

I live in a small town, so that anecdote is not lost on me. We have a Wal-Mart, two grocery stores, two drug stores, discount stores, clothing stores,two hardware stores, two electrical supply stores, a bakery, a few barbers and numerous speciality stores from jewelers to electronics shops.

With all due respect, your local situation, while understandably negative, is not indicative of the rest of the nation.

You say that you believe in capitalism, yet you claim that it's someone else's fault when stores can't complete. If they can't compete, then they do not deserve to exist. When Wal-mart moves into town, local shops are finally put to the test, are they truly offering a good service, or are they simply schlepping product out the front door?

I think he said he believes in a Free Market, Wal-Mart and other big corporate stores are granted hugh tax breaks to come into areas. That would be an un-fair advantage granted by the government and not in the spirit of capitalism.

I think he said he believes in a Free Market, Wal-Mart and other big corporate stores are granted hugh tax breaks to come into areas. That would be an un-fair advantage granted by the government and not in the spirit of capitalism.

Fair enough. But Wal-Mart would still exists sans tax breaks.

The notion that a Walmart store does not hurt local business is ludicrous. How many local hardware stores, sporting goods stores, independent grocery stores flourish in a Walmart city? Not many. Why shop at individual stores when one can save money and get most things in one trip? So you help your neighbor rather the some corporation half way across the nation. The jobs created pay better, more than making up for the discount at Wally World. The idiotic charts...notice that the number of local small business stays flat...with the increase in population and commerce in general, why is the lane flat? Obviously because the people that continue to try and open new businesses are off set by the failing businesses. The line should climb...much like it does in a non Walmart infected town.

This trend is a sad statement on the mentality of most people in regard to their shopping habits. Internet shopping is much the same. Support your local business when possible, please!

The notion that a Walmart store does not hurt local business is ludicrous.
Are you claiming that this study is innacurate? Should I accept your word or that of a highly respected research foundation?

Why shop at individual stores when one can save money and get most things in one trip?
Because it's far easier to stop at a local shop, dash in and back out instead of trying to make my way through a sea of people to save fifty cents on a box of soap.

I believe in a free market economy. Walmart would not have become the retail behemoth it is now within that system. It is yet another example of our government being beholden to corporate and thru that individual greed that has allowed it to get out of control. Who benefits from Walmart? Not the employees, not the customers, not the suppliers, and not the communities in which it dominates. In short not John Q. Public
And sadly my town is indicative of what is happening throughout the nation.
Anybody that is educated knows that a study can be commissioned (even from respected researchers) to give precisely the results those who are commissioning it desire.

I believe in a free market economy. Walmart would not have become the retail behemoth it is now within that system.
Talk about your circular logic. You say that you believe in the free market, yet you don't believe that the free market can produce a success such as Wal-Mart?

It is yet another example of our government being beholden to corporate and thru that individual greed that has allowed it to get out of control.
Wal-Mart started as a nickel and dime. Aside from the obvious political favor it may curry, it didn't attain that status overnight.

Who benefits from Walmart? Not the employees, not the customers, not the suppliers, and not the communities in which it dominates. In short not John Q. Public
Odd, I would have thought that 1:1 matching 401k, 1:1 matching stock purchases and health insurance coverage second to none would be quite a benefit for employees? And what with all those customers saving hundreds, if not thousands every year, they might now be able to afford to buy more for their money resulting in a higher standard of living? And the suppliers....I don't care who you are, if you're selling to Wal-Mart, you're doing exceptionally well. Yes, it's sad that much of the debt is going to China, but you can thank John Q Public for buying the crap in the first place. Don't blame Wal-Mart, they are providing a service. If there was no demand for that service, where do you think they would be today?

And sadly my town is indicative of what is happening throughout the nation.
Anybody that is educated knows that a study can be commissioned (even from respected researchers) to give precisely the results those who are commissioning it desire.
No True Scotsman...... Anyone that is educated also knows that a study can stand or fall based on the information and sources cited within. So unles you can read that study and point out the errors that led to their conclusion, I feel confident that it stands on its own.

Talk about your circular logic. You say that you believe in the free market, yet you don't believe that the free market can produce a success such as Wal-Mart?

Wal-Mart started as a nickel and dime. Aside from the obvious political favor it may curry, it didn't attain that status overnight.

Odd, I would have thought that 1:1 matching 401k, 1:1 matching stock purchases and health insurance coverage second to none would be quite a benefit for employees? And what with all those customers saving hundreds, if not thousands every year, they might now be able to afford to buy more for their money resulting in a higher standard of living? And the suppliers....I don't care who you are, if you're selling to Wal-Mart, you're doing exceptionally well. Yes, it's sad that much of the debt is going to China, but you can thank John Q Public for buying the crap in the first place. Don't blame Wal-Mart, they are providing a service. If there was no demand for that service, where do you think they would be today?

No True Scotsman...... Anyone that is educated also knows that a study can stand or fall based on the information and sources cited within. So unles you can read that study and point out the errors that led to their conclusion, I feel confident that it stands on its own.
I refuse to have a battle of intellect with somebody so obviously unarmed.
Good day sir.

I refuse to have a battle of intellect with somebody so obviously unarmed.
Good day sir.
Ad hominem, another intellectual fallacy. It would be more appropriate to say that I am armed with an AR-15 while you brought a pocket knife.

But I digress.....

we have 2 super walmarts within 8 miles of eachother (one is in a different town) and a sams club. they are always full...krogers and albertsons are usually empty... tom thumb,k mart, barrets, and king saver went under.:whistle: piggly wiggly does ok in my area due to location...alot of people walk there

Back