Suspension chat. Explain shock Pre-Load

Yes anyone that does suspension can refresh it. They contact Traxxion, order seals,get the specs and it's done. It's about a hours work depending on how thorough they are. Complete disassembly, clean, seals, fluids, pressurize and it's done.
I'm not sure how to think my way through the nitrogen part. I think I could do the rest. The pre-load pump and reservoir is a simple clean out and refill with new fluid.

I'm not sure how to think my way through the nitrogen part. I think I could do the rest. The pre-load pump and reservoir is a simple clean out and refill with new fluid.
If you really want to do it yourself lookup dirtbike shock rebuild videos. Those guys do it all the time. Just need a few parts. Here is a tutorial on how to build your own nitrogen fill setup as well.

If you really want to do it yourself lookup dirtbike shock rebuild videos. Those guys do it all the time. Just need a few parts. Here is a tutorial on how to build your own nitrogen fill setup as well.

I don't know that I really want to do it myself. I'll use that whole nitrogen set up one time. Take me longer to gather the parts for that than doing the shock......lol.

Even funnier. After viewing your linked video, this linked video pops up. LMBO now.

Music is so appropriate.

Brickhouse Wing

Last edited:
My $1800 Traxxion shock assembly.
Had they removed the protective sock, they would have found the Traxxion tag and phone number.

1000000454.jpg

Now to figure out if it has any schedule for servicing.

The pump to the left is the Pre-Load actuator. It has reservoir of what amounts to hydraulic fluid. Easily serviced. Traxxion states 7W fork oil. But there doesn't seem to be a recommended "change the fluid" schedule.

And as you can see it sends that fluid to the shock. Thus compressing the spring. Also not seen is the static height setting for the shock. It's under the black boot and requires spring removal to change. There are 3 grooves. If you are shorter it goes in bottom groove. Taller the top groove. Not adjustable unless disassembled and re-located. I don't know where it's set but I hear that the center setting is about 75% of the time. However I'm 6'6". So I may be out of that 75% preference.

Then the shock tube is going to be sealed. No apparent leaks present.

So I'm not trying to find a reason to crack into this. But I dislike the idea of having to take it back out later because I skimped on a servicing when I had the chance.

Last edited:
Had they removed the protective sock, they would have found the Traction tag and phone number.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh! Hide the secrets!

If you are shorter it goes in bottom groove. Taller the top groove. Not adjustable unless disassembled and re-located.

Is this a ride height adjustment, ergo performance improvement?

But I dislike the idea of having to take it back out later because I skimped on a servicing when I had the chance.

Absolutely. Work toward the long term and never regret it.

Is this a ride height adjustment, ergo performance improvement?
I think it was just to add or take away ride height without ever using any pre-load to do it.

My bikes seat was lowered an inch to accommodate a shorter rider. I think this is just for some customization.

Back