strange sound

just give a push... you need to load the chain up on the drive side (so the slack is on the tensioner side)

put the bike in gear and just roll it forward enough to move the motor..

should put all the slack to the back of the chain..

I tried to do mine today, but it just wouldn't give.
I didn't try to roll it forward like Bogus said.
I'll try again another day just to make sure.
Did get the TB synch'd today.
thumb_up.gif

if you just turn the motor a bit, it will put the slack at the tensioner side. When you turn off a motor, the slack tends to get distributed around the chain rather than just one side.

I did see where someone pushed and finally got a second click.. I would not push my luck on this part. It is possible to get too much pressure on tensioner and all you will do is wear the thing down prematurely.

going to try and do this tomorrow after I get off work and I will do my best to get some Pic's in more detail.

now that i've thought it over for a day?...i would tend to caution against this mod for two reasons...

1. By forcing the cct ratchet arm out (even one notch) by applying more pressure than the cct spring does?...you've effectively circumvented and destroyed the entire "floats-on-a-spring-forgiveness"...nature of it's function which...

2. Took Suzuki engineers three generations of cct's to finally get right.

by doing this mod?...you are forcing the ratchet arm out to the next notch...eliminating any sprig-action forgiveness to deal with the hard slapping cam chain dynamics which occurs inside the galleys of the busa's powerplant...the 1st gen cct's usta bend then break...2nd gen ccts were beefier...then the 3rd gen got oil-feed..i know this mod also probably does everything folks are claiming.....cleaning up the mis-beat of slack and reducing engine noise but it's because they've locked the cct arm out tight..and the risk i see here is this...high rev roll-offs/ons....which will induce high inertia cam chain dynamics...and the 3rdgen modded cct fails....which will result in catastrophic engine failure...bent valves....the works..basically?...a valve-train wipe-out..due to a lost cam chain...due to a failed cct....due to a mod which isn't in keeping with shop manual procedures for install/check cct...cause there is no "adjust"....as the spring is what makes the cct "Self-Adjusting".

sorry...cool find indeed but personally?...i'd be real hesitant to put my seal of approval on this one.

JMHO & L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Don't flame me, these are simply my thoughts/observations...I'm not a Suzuki engineer!

Even if you do 1 click, the spring still has tons of tension on it when you put it back in. So I can see it still being self adjusting. Premature wear by doing this, sure. 1 click doesn't lock the rod out tight. There are many "Ëœclicks' available on the rod.

When I pushed it in, I didn't hear/feel any clicks. I did clean up the bolt/spring assembly. Once I fired her back up, smooth as silk. Maybe I did a click, maybe the little pin inside the spring was locked on to it, I don't know.

My other thought is the manual chain tensioner. They're plastered all over the Net. Many guys use them, I've seen no ill effects, and I don't see most of them tightening these manually to "Ëœspecs'.

Don't flame me, these are simply my thoughts/observations...I'm not a Suzuki engineer!

Even if you do 1 click, the spring still has tons of tension on it when you put it back in.  So I can see it still being self adjusting.  Premature wear by doing this, sure.  1 click doesn't lock the rod out tight.  There are many "Ëœclicks' available on the rod.  

When I pushed it in, I didn't hear/feel any clicks.  I did clean up the bolt/spring assembly.  Once I fired her back up, smooth as silk.  Maybe I did a click, maybe the little pin inside the spring was locked on to it, I don't know.

My other thought is the manual chain tensioner.  They're plastered all over the Net.  Many guys use them, I've seen no ill effects, and I don't see most of them tightening these manually to "Ëœspecs'.
not ta flame ya but.....aren't you the the same TX that made this statement and asked this question...

"I've had this noise forever! What do you screw up if you do this incorrectly?"

earlier on in this very thread?

cause ya sure seem to have gained a lot of i dunno what in a short time!
laugh.gif

Hi Jinkster.First of all I want you to know that i have kept some of your articles in my favorits and i do count on your Busa knowledge .Feeling kinda responsible for this topic did a search today.I Passed by the official Suzuki offices and had a conversation hith a headmech who happens to be a friend.He assured me that the mod is completely safe.They do it to most of their clients with busas and some gixxers with hydrolic adjusters.They are simply pressing the rod inwards while reving the engine with the starter motor to be sure that the loose side of the chain is on the cct side. Most of them ccts " felling asleep"he said.Meanwhile we measured on a new cct the rod travel for two clikcs.It was 0.03937 of an inch or 1 mm.Very small amount compared to the overall length of the chain.Keep in mind that this extra tension is applied on the chain slider where the elasticity decreases the press effect.Regards
hello.gif

Back