strange sound

micbusathens

Registered
when my bike is cold and even after 20mins of riding i hear a noise just after 2000rpms .the sound stops only under these rpms ,when shes hot enough.looks like the sound of a loose windscreen .After inspection I figured that the sound comes from the cam chain tensioner maybe.I am round 14k.if my problem is the tensioner at last , is there any way to fix it....e.g preload the spring or something..?Thanks in advance for your attention

Michael
Hi ... saw your post ... What was the outcome ... think I've got the same problem .. did you do it yourself? Cost? Degree of difficulty? Did you keep it stock or go manual? Lots of questions ... lol. Thanks in advance. Deadeye

Michael
Hi ... saw your post ... What was the outcome ... think I've got the same problem .. did you do it yourself? Cost? Degree of difficulty? Did you keep it stock or go manual? Lots of questions ... lol. Thanks in advance. Deadeye
well i fixed it.I removed the big bolt on the tensioner and i put an allen in ..and stationary i pushed the rod of the tensioner inwards and i felt a slighy click.Then with the help of the starter button and some extra force to the allen tool I managed to feel a second click.No more strange sounds..Ask for more details if needed
hello.gif

Michael
well i fixed it.I removed the big bolt on the tensioner and i put an allen in ..and stationary i pushed the rod of the tensioner inwards and i felt a slighy click.Then with the help of the starter button and some extra force to the allen tool I managed to feel a second click.No more strange sounds..Ask for more details if needed
hello.gif
did it by myself.it was very very easy.I kept the stock one.Just lift the tank and then unscrew the big bolt and carefully remove the spring .Place an allen in the hole and push

Glad you figured it out!

I was going to suggest to loosen the two allen bolts that are holding the CCT in place. Continue loosening them until you hear the 'click', then tighten.

Your method accomplishes the same thing and that's to tighten the CCT another click or two...
thumb_up.gif

Glad you figured it out!  

I was going to suggest to loosen the two allen bolts that are holding the CCT in place.  Continue loosening them until you hear the 'click', then tighten.

Your method accomplishes the same thing and that's to tighten the CCT another click or two...  
thumb_up.gif
i believe thats a lot easier to 'feel" than hear the click and the push method prevents overtightening by mistake

Cool thanks ... I will take a look ... looks like I have all winter as there is freezing rain outside!!! Sorry about the late reply but I was out of town ... So lift the tank ... undo one bolt and then use an allen key to click it "up a notch" so to speak? What can go wrong? I think I know what it does ... the auto CCT spring may be sticking and feeling the "click" does what? Sort of cycles the spring or is it tensioning the cam chain? Any pics? Thanks - just what to do it right ... Deadeye

IMG_0494__Large_.JPG

well Hi dead eye.Even auto ccts need often a helping hand .Probably the factory should have used a stronger spring .....i dont know

Thanks! Again sorry for the late reply .. been out of town/country so much ... I can't think. What happens if you screw it up or do it incorrectly? Deadeye

The tensioner is a "ratcheting" type tensioner.it cant "back off " on its own even with the bolt & spring removed.If you follow the previous instructions you will be fine.
winkold.gif

boy....that's odd....but this tells me that the spring in the oem cct is possibly to weak to get the job done in a timely fashion.

this actually looks like the same tensioner used by a lot of jap imports...

I cheat on these and not sure it will work here (on the busa) but we would take a rubber tip blowgun and just hit the oil port (they are oil pressure assisted adjusters)100psi tends to push these out pretty nicely. (this was common after having a cylinder head off and having to reset the cam chain tension)

Would guess that there is a hole on the tensioner to release the dog if you get too tight

ok put the allen key in and .....? turn something? which way?

am i missing something?
cool.gif

Back