speeding ticket

kountrywill

Registered
Got pulled over on Saturday. Trooper said he got me on radar at 120 in a 55. No way possible he clocked me at 120 as i wasnt riding that fast. He pulled me a mile down the road as he was sitting on an on ramp with traffic. Where he clocked me at also was in a curve. With a good lawyer am i looking at jail time and loss of liscense here in Va.

OUCH ! Dont know about jail time, but here in IN. they would have took you to jail on the spot for reckless driving + 1 year suspended lic. (dont ask how i know)

Holy ****!

No offense, but that kind of speed on the street really is unsafe for both you and anyone around you. Please, be a more responsible and safe rider before they just outlaw motorcycles outright. That said...

You simply MUST contact a lawyer. In fact contact as many as you have time to contact. You don't wanna do this without expert help.

Also, Google "speeding ticket virginia" and check out as many of the resources that you can.

In Maryland, wreckless driving is anything 20 mph or more over the speed limit. You were doing more than twice the limit in a zone that's already near the top limit in the region. A judge is not likely to take it easy on you. Even if they did, going easy on a violation of that magnitude could still potentially land you in jail w/a suspended license and thousands in fines.

Best of luck.

He said he WASN'T going 120. But umm, how fast were you going?

I got pulled over doing 90 in a 70 and got a verbal warning. Good thing he didn't catch me 2 mins earlier or he would have gotten me for 150 in a 70. 7am on I-505, nobody there. I slowed down for the curve in the road and he was coming from the other direction.

Good luck.

He said he WASN'T going 120. But umm, how fast were you going? Good luck.

True. However, it is reasonable to assume that there is some basis for the noted speed. If not, so be it.

Either way, the judge will pay heed to what the cop say unless there is inctrovertible evidence to the contrary. If that evidence doesn't exist, what's on the ticket is what will be judged. If 120 is the number judged, a lawyer is MORE than needed.

Again, best of luck, and be sure to do everything you can to seek expert legal help and prepare for the court.

PS: I don't know have VA is, but in MD, if the radar operator doesn't show to court, the state has no witness and the ticket is dismissed. For that reason, I always postpone the court date as long as possible. The theory is that the longer you can postpone the date, the more likely the officer won't be available to make the date (no longer in service, transferred to another area/department/etc, or otherwise unable to make the date). I've had at least two tickets simply "vanish" using this method.

true, true, either way, it's going to cost. More than likely would have been cheaper to get a track weekend.

Sorry and hope it works out.

ive used prepaid legal for a year now, they can really help and it only cost about 17 a month. so far thay have gotten me out of a few binds, give them a call, its free to just tell them whats going on and see if they can help. you dont have much to loose:2cents:

In Ky the fines for speeding stop at 26 over and it's only a $125.00 fine plus the loss of your license for 3 months.

Look up the speeding penalties for your state.

Good luck...

True. However, it is reasonable to assume that there is some basis for the noted speed. If not, so be it.

Either way, the judge will pay heed to what the cop say unless there is inctrovertible evidence to the contrary. If that evidence doesn't exist, what's on the ticket is what will be judged. If 120 is the number judged, a lawyer is MORE than needed.

Again, best of luck, and be sure to do everything you can to seek expert legal help and prepare for the court.

PS: I don't know have VA is, but in MD, if the radar operator doesn't show to court, the state has no witness and the ticket is dismissed. For that reason, I always postpone the court date as long as possible. The theory is that the longer you can postpone the date, the more likely the officer won't be available to make the date (no longer in service, transferred to another area/department/etc, or otherwise unable to make the date). I've had at least two tickets simply "vanish" using this method.

true i had a friend in my local police dept ask the officer that ticketed me about wether he was taking a vacation and i set it during that and bye bye careless driving

His radar or Lidar picked up your rotors spinning ? IMHO ????

Here is some quick points on the pitfalls of the systems.

- The Truth About Speed Cameras - part 1[/url]

It really is an occurance.

I just beat out a 110 in @ 65 zone with documents I provided to a CT ADA from a December 07 violation on a highway down there. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I"ll scan and send you the stuff I prepared , :laugh:, If you like...

P.S. I continued the 1st court date and picked out, 10-31-08 as the day to appear, to test this case.:poke:

I walked in with my full leathers on, poster boards under my arm and laptop loaded ). .:rofl:

He didn't want to debate CT Staute all day long, so he said go away for this :

60 bucks in Court Cost :moon: but charges of 'Excessive speed" & "Speeding" were both nolled.:cheerleader:

I say " Next " and I'm
- Joe Jackson-Nineteen forever (OFFICIAL VIDEO!!!!)[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
OUCH ! Dont know about jail time, but here in IN. they would have took you to jail on the spot for reckless driving + 1 year suspended lic. (dont ask how i know)

Ouch, would have been about the same in CA they would have impounded the scooter and taken you straight to jail. Last ticket I got nailed for was 95 and because of my other tickets I hired an attorney. Postponed the court date a couple of times and then finally the officer didn't show up in court. Best money I ever spent! Good luck, if the ticket sticks it is going to hurt.

Got pulled over on Saturday. Trooper said he got me on radar at 120 in a 55. No way possible he clocked me at 120 as i wasnt riding that fast. He pulled me a mile down the road as he was sitting on an on ramp with traffic. Where he clocked me at also was in a curve. With a good lawyer am i looking at jail time and loss of liscense here in Va.

Sorry to here this. I to live in VA and about 6 months ago i got 2 tickets!!. One for speeding and the other for following to close. I along with another guy was picked out of the middle of 8 cars and gave tickets. I went to court and tried to fight it and lost of course. In a court of law in VA you done stand much of a chance unless you have a good lawyer. That day the cop had 30 people he got in that same area. Did he show you the radar?? That is very important. They have to do that! I think most of the cops and judges have something going on and it is a no winn thing. It is also to many speed traps in VA. I know it is hard to have a busa and keep out of the throttle but we need to have a safe place to go run our bikes and enjoy the power we have. I am not sure VIR but maybe they will open up and give us more time there. Just a thought, Good luck

All I have to say is being in VA you are probably screwed and chances are a lawyer is not going to beable help you that much at least that was the case when I got a reckless driving ticket in VA I paid out more money by getting a lawyer

Back